Diagnosed, but not really. So confused.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
But diet advice for diabetics does not focus on forcefeeding yourself vegetables. Vegetables are actually carbohydrates, although not the sugary simple carbohydrates that are most harmful. But by the same token, you don't need huge quantities of veg, just enough to get key minerals.

The thing about diets for people prone to diabetes is that it focuses on protein, mainly eggs and meat, not vegetables. It's a very savoury taste, which may leave some people pining for sweet things. But basically you can have beef, lamb, pork, bacon, chicken, fish, eggs. And that's mainly it!
I eat a far wider choice of foods than the ones on your list. Your list is for keto/carnivore diets.

For many such a restricted diet is neither necessary or desirable. Some have good blood sugar levels eating cheese, milk, green veg, salads, low carb bread, limited amounts of rice, pasta and potato.

It's all about using our blood sugar level meter before and 2 hours after a meal and tweaking our food amounts and choices to keep under a 2 point post-meal rise

There are some for whom keto/carnivore works well. But it's not an essential way of eating for all type 2 diabetics.

If you look at the low carb foods section of the forum there are thousands of tasty and varied meals.

JayBee28

I've read of a few posters on here who had A1cs in the mid 50s who were given 3 months to turn it around before diagnosis.
I've also seen people been slapped with a diagnosis with a single reading of 48, seem to be completely at the GPs discretion.

Either way get yourself a meter & start testing.
Lose some weight, reduce carbs & start walking, you'll be back in the non-diabetic zone in no time.
My first A1c was 51 had a blood test two weeks later the same and diagnosed straight away. My three month review is only 7 weeks after diagnosis, I’m working so so hard to get the readings down.

Reactions: Ronancastled

Languagelearner

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I eat a far wider choice of foods than the ones on your list. Your list is for keto/carnivore diets.

For many such a restricted diet is neither necessary or desirable. Some have good blood sugar levels eating cheese, milk, green veg, salads, low carb bread, limited amounts of rice, pasta and potato.

It's all about using our blood sugar level meter before and 2 hours after a meal and tweaking our food amounts and choices to keep under a 2 point post-meal rise

There are some for whom keto/carnivore works well. But it's not an essential way of eating for all type 2 diabetics.

If you look at the low carb foods section of the forum there are thousands of tasty and varied meals.
Yes, you're right, the original poster should get a blood glucose monitor and work out the suitable foods.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've read of a few posters on here who had A1cs in the mid 50s who were given 3 months to turn it around before diagnosis.
I've also seen people been slapped with a diagnosis with a single reading of 48, seem to be completely at the GPs discretion.

Either way get yourself a meter & start testing.
Lose some weight, reduce carbs & start walking, you'll be back in the non-diabetic zone in no time.
I was diagnosed as T2 with a hba1c of 48 but didn’t have another one to confirm the diagnosis - unfortunately after 6 months of statins my hba1c increased to 54

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
But diet advice for diabetics does not focus on forcefeeding yourself vegetables. Vegetables are actually carbohydrates, although not the sugary simple carbohydrates that are most harmful. But by the same token, you don't need huge quantities of veg, just enough to get key minerals.

The thing about diets for people prone to diabetes is that it focuses on protein, mainly eggs and meat, not vegetables. It's a very savoury taste, which may leave some people pining for sweet things. But basically you can have beef, lamb, pork, bacon, chicken, fish, eggs. And that's mainly it!
Not all T2s have to have such a strict diet. I can eat, amongst other foods, low carb bread, small portions of potatoes and fruit such as berries and vegetables - both above and below ground and, on a good day, small portions of pasta.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was a full blown diabetic, but I had eaten fairly low carb when I could get away with it - all my GPs have considered carbs healthy.
Even with Hba1c of 91 at diagnosis I have eaten a wide range of low carb foods, salads veges berries, and avoided grain, potatoes and high carb fruits as it seemed the easiest option. it was just going back to things I had eaten on Atkins for decades. I do have a square of high cocoa chocolate once in a while, that is one square, not one bar.
My aim is normal blood glucose levels without medication, which I got quite early on, and have mostly stayed there.
I suspect I had covid quite early on, and my Hba1c went up, but no one bothered to tell me, and now it has gone down again.
For an ordinary type two, found early in the process, just a few swaps should do the trick and keep BG levels in check.

Dandelade

Hi there,

You’re not alone I was exactly the same. First hba1c 48, went low carb, 2 months later 44. I’m expecting my next test to be in the 30s.

Not officially diabetic according to the go but absolutely insulin resistant according to my meter. The good news is it didn’t take very long when your numbers are borderline and as everyone has said find out what you can eat using your meter.

It’s not really the spike you’re looking for as I think you said. You’re looking for testing before meals and 2 hours after (post prandial) and a rise of no more than 2. If more than that whatever you had, had more carbs than your body can handle at once.

Good luck, honestly once you get in the swing of it, it becomes a lifestyle and food is way better than before!