Diagnosed today.

MancboyChris

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all. I'm at hospital at the Mo, doctors sent me here earlier today. Been feeling weak and thirsty past 8 weeks, doctors did bloods and found other stuff - at the appt I mentioned about dehydration and strong smelling urine. She asked me to do a wee test which confirmed ketos? In there. She then did the finger prick thing and this result was 26 and told me to go hospital right away. Been here about 8 hours currently having insulin (I think) pumped into me along with fluids.

I've still got to wait until tomorrow afternoon to see the diabetes nurse but I was wondering if anyone could explain to me what I should expect from here on now it would be appreciated

P..s I would sleep but they keep coming back to do the prick test.

Thank you
Chris

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

You have found the best place to get information and support.

The first thing is to find out what type of diabetes you have- you are quite young so it may be type 1 but what happens from here will depend on what type you have.

Below find a link to some useful information. Someone will be here shortly with some more advice.
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.17088/

Good luck and welcome and I hope you get some sleep.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
The first thing will be to get the level of blood glucose lower - you might be given various drugs to help in this first part of the process.
You should have various tests to determine the amount of insulin you are producing naturally, so as to find out the type.

Reactions: MancboyChris

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Hopefully you can get a type diagnosis.... hopefully they are doing the relevant tests for this. You've come to a great place, good luck. Hope you get back on your feet real soon. Once you get results, things will become clearer for you.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Hi @MancboyChris
Do you know if your numbers are coming down? It’ll probably take a while for you to feel stronger again.
Come back and talk to us when you have spoken to the nurse.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
They will try to bring down your Bg level and hopefully are doing a couple of tests to find out what type you are. Treatment can really vary because Type 1 and Type 2 are very different conditions.

The first test will be an antibody test which if positive is a sign of type 1. Some type 1's but very rare don't test positive for the antibodies but don't make insulin. The second test will be a C peptide, this test tells how much insulin you are making. Low normal to low is a sign of type 1 and normal to high is a sign of type 2.

Type 1's stop making insulin, although there is a time period where they still make some insulin and it decreases as time goes on. This is called the honeymoon period. Type 2's make insulin but don't use it well, they have insulin resistance.

Treatment and what's next will really vary by what type you have,

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. As others have said if you are quite young and not overweight or have been losing weight then T1 is a likely diagnosis. If so you will probably leave being kept on insulin using cartridge pens. It will be one or two different insulins. A T1 will be on two insulins, one for 24 hour background control (Basal) and the other for mealtime use (Bolus). It's possible you may leave just having tablets but moving to insulin later; this will be true if you are diagnosed as T2. Being suddenly diagnosed and then going onto insulin can be a shock which many have gone thru. Insulin is more of a nuisance than a problem and does give very good blood sugar control. You will need to test with a glucose meter a few times a day to check you BS level. There is stacks of info on these forums so you won't be alone.