Diagnosed Today.

Telboy62

Hi everyone. Got the call this morning from my GP. It's not a huge surprise as type 2 is a family thing. My GP suggested the website and forum and frankly i'm already confused as to the between the NHS eating advice and the low carb diets. What is the best advice for someone literally on their first (confirmed) day of diabetes?
For info the doc said my test was 9.4 and that was after a 12 hour fast. I'm a self employed painter and decorator and part time radio presenter. Looking forward to getting to know you all and learning all i can about dealing with this.

Reactions: ziggy_w

Diane_56

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everyone. Got the call this morning from my GP. It's not a huge surprise as type 2 is a family thing. My GP suggested the website and forum and frankly i'm already confused as to the between the NHS eating advice and the low carb diets. What is the best advice for someone literally on their first (confirmed) day of diabetes?
For info the doc said my test was 9.4 and that was after a 12 hour fast. I'm a self employed painter and decorator and part time radio presenter. Looking forward to getting to know you all and learning all i can about dealing with this.
I still find it hard to deal with sometimes

Reactions: Perminder1

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Welcome. You will get loads of advice very shortly. We mainly do low carb. Please ignore nhs advice it is dire for T2.

Reactions: Telboy62

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Read The diabetes Code by jason Fung. He also has some YouTube videos.

Use the next few days educate yourself. We normally point people at the dietdoctor.com for meal ideas.

If you can tell us what you eat in a typical day, we can give you some advice.

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I was 1st diagnosed I followed the NHS "Eatwell" advise - Low GL carbs with every meal, low fat options (skimmed milk, limited cheese, low fat yogurts, cut the fat of meat) I was hungry, miserable and my Blood glucose (BG's) and weight kept going up. I found the wonderful people here and saw their success on following a low carb/keto way of eating. 7 years on, and although I've still got a long way to go, I've lost around 4st in weight, my BG's have leveled off and I'm now working towards getting them lower and being able to reduce some of my medication. Some people have rapid success and manage to get normal levels within a few month, for others of us it's a more difficult slog, but I won't let it beat me. If you want to start lowering you carbs, the easiest way is to stop eating the brown/white ones - bread, pasta, rice, couscous, and grains, and replace with more green leafy veg. Get yourself a meter and test, test ,test to start with, what works for me, might not work for you and the onlt way to know is with those pesky readings test before you eat and 2hours after the 1st mouthful, a rise of 2mmol is considered acceptable but the smaller it is the better. Once you get used to what you can and can't tolerate, you can choose to test less often. Welcome to the journey that is having diabetes and remember it's a marathon not a sprint

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My husband is about to walk in the door so I have to keep this short, but you WILL be okay. https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html <--have a read, as this contains some of the basics i wish someone'd told me when i was first diagnosed. Things turned out to be less scary and less beyond my control than I had dared hope for.

You'll be okay. We've got your back.
Jo

Telboy62

Thanks for all your replies folks. Yes, i can see i've got a bit of studying and trial and error with foods ahead of me. My test kit has been ordered and will be here tomorrow so i can get started straight away. I'm a nightmare when it comes to food though. I hate vegetables for a start. The only way i get any is if i make soup and liquidise it. The chicken, meat, pork etc is no problem. I pretty much live on it anyway. I'm ok with mushrooms, onions and tomatoes but thats about it. The other things i eat are not allowed on the low carb diet. (Pasta, rice, potatoes, chips). I'll just have to get creative.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Absolutely nothing wrong with the carnivore diet. There is a carnivore sub forum.

There are various substitutes you can use. Pasta checkout zoodles. They are spiralized courgettes, a good carrier for the sauce.

Cauliflower rice is very versatile. Cauliflower or celeriac is a good sub for mashed potato.

Anything you fancy, google it but put keto first.

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed back at the beginning of December last year and brought my BG levels right down to normal in 3 months by going low carb. I have mulishly resisted attempts to get me to go to NHS diabetes education because my lazy keto diet is working wonders for me.

However, they have been chasing me again so today, I reckoned I would actually talk to them. After all, nothing to lose, I could still politely decline their programme if it looked unsuitable. Anyway I explained my new diet to the woman taking bookings and said I would rather not waste their time if their programme was eatwell based. She passed me over to the dietician who said they were supportive of low carb eating and no, definitely not eatwell, most unsuitable for diabetics. So, I have a 1:1 session booked with her at the end of the month. After all, you never know what you don’t know, may be useful, maybe not, but worth a punt.

Moral is, I guess, don’t write off the NHS. Things are slowly changing and you might be pleasantly surprised. I hope to be... Make a change after the resounding indifference of my GP practice!

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. Yes, ignore NHS diet advice which comes from Public Health England. Some staff ignore it like my lovely diabetes nurse who recommends a low-carb diet. Set yourself a daily carb limit. Try 150gm or less and see how you go; you can have some of the 'forbidden' foods but just check how it all adds up. The good news is wine and spirits are OK but beer can be carby.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm another who suggests low carb but the real evidence is when you test. My husband wasn't I initially on board with low carb but he has seen the results of the different foods and is now firmly on board. I'm a carbolic and if the evidence wasn't there would keep eating the carbs. I still regularly test to stop carb creep but also it gives me an idea if I'm coming down with something or feeling very stressed. Stress is not good for me.

Good luck and welcome.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for all your replies folks. Yes, i can see i've got a bit of studying and trial and error with foods ahead of me. My test kit has been ordered and will be here tomorrow so i can get started straight away. I'm a nightmare when it comes to food though. I hate vegetables for a start. The only way i get any is if i make soup and liquidise it. The chicken, meat, pork etc is no problem. I pretty much live on it anyway. I'm ok with mushrooms, onions and tomatoes but thats about it. The other things i eat are not allowed on the low carb diet. (Pasta, rice, potatoes, chips). I'll just have to get creative.
If you thrive on meat/poultry, this should be easy for you. ;) Seriously, you've got options, and no veg is one of them. :)