Type 2 Diagnosed with type 2 last week

John_73

Hello to all,

So I have been recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes which turns out, for me, is hereditary. I do like chocolate but now having to look at alternatives. So, I decided to purchase a block of Bornville dark and a couple of Lindt 75% cocoa bars. My only question is how much can I eat of an evening? I've seen a few posts that suggest a couple of squares only! Having just two squares of dark chocolate is like a taster... what about a little more!

Would like to know who else eats more than just two squares and how often?

Thanks

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Well I have been known to eat a whole bar...
If I were you though I’d avoid the Bourneville as it is high in carbs. 80% or above better for T2s.

Welcome aboard and ask any questions you have.

Reactions: ziggy_w and John_73

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry - I buy the highest possible cocoa content - at the moment Lidl is selling 95 percent, and I eat just one square of it.
If you test your blood glucose from time to time you'll get a better idea of what you can cope with, but I avoid high carb foods as they are adictive.

Reactions: John_73

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi John and welcome to the forum!
Here’s a link to our useful info post for newbies:
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.17088/
I got my diabetes under control by limiting carbs, I currently eat 50g/day, so within that allowance I often have just a few squares of dark chocolate. I worked my way up to 100% buttons from Hotel Chocolat so I could have more chocolate for less carbs! I was definitely a milk chocolate kind of girl before diagnosis but now I’m very used to higher percentage and enjoy it.

Reactions: ziggy_w and John_73

John_73

I rather enjoy a square of 85% in a cup of coffee with a sweetner.
I think I'll need to switch to 85%. I bought some 72% dark in Sainsbury today and had four squares. I guess for some that have been diagnosed and don't have a sweet tooth it's far easier. This is pretty tough

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Never less than 85 per cent. Never had a sweet tooth so easier for me. Throughly enjoy hotel chocolat 85 to 100 per cent but it is an acquired taste.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Dark's an acquired taste. I did enjoy it but now very rarely. I have lost all connections to sweet confectionery.

John_73

Never less than 85 per cent. Never had a sweet tooth so easier for me. Throughly enjoy hotel chocolat 85 to 100 per cent but it is an acquired taste.
Others have mentioned Hotel Chocolat where can this be brought from I haven't seen it for sale.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you order on line, it takes ages for delivery. If you know someone who lives in the area of a shop, get them to buy and post it and just refund them. My last order was placed end of July and got it beginning of September.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The lower the level of sweetness you experience day to day, the more sensitive your tast becomes. I now find peas and beetroot taste sweet - the prospect of pea icecream might not be attractive to many, but eggs and cream, made into a custard with cooked and cooled pea puree and a little salt, tastes rather like peanut. With some peppermint essence rather than the salt and a dusting of grated high cocoa chocolate, mint chocolate icecream, no doubt about it.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you order on line, it takes ages for delivery. If you know someone who lives in the area of a shop, get them to buy and post it and just refund them. My last order was placed end of July and got it beginning of September.
Oh that’s not good :( I’m lucky enough to live in a city with two branches.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @John_73,

Welcome to the forum.

I usually have 85% or 95% chocolate (which ranges from 10g of carbs to 16g per 100g). I can have quite a lot (about 30g) without it raising my blood sugars (especially paired with red wine, which in my mind is a match made in heaven). You would have to test this out with your glucose meter, as we all react to differently to different foods.