Diagnosed yesterday and unhappy

Dislikes
Cruelty to animals. Male chauvanist pigs and cheap sexist jokes.
Hi folks, just found this forum as I had been diagnosed yesetrday 11th Nov. I suppose secretly I knew something was worong with being thristy and drinking an awful lot. No one likes to hear bad news an although I have a wonderful husband, I need help and advice.

I'm the sort of person who likes to help other people out and I don't go looking for help myself, but this is a frightening thing I have just been told. I would love to talk to anyone with knowlege of living with this disease.

I have read so much contradiction on the net, feel totally confused and frightened.

My name is Shari and I'm 49 in a few days. (great birthday gift huh?)

Thanks..............

wallycorker

Hi there Shari!

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis. However, you will find that it's not all as bad as it seems once you get your head around a few things.

In my opinion, as a Type 2 on tablets only same as me, the first thing that you need to get to understand is that you ought to be aware that it's a good idea to cut back on the starchy carbohydrates that you eat - i.e. cereals, bread, potatoes, pasta, rice etc. It is quite possible that your healthcare professionals might be telling you something different.

Starting to test is a good idea too and, once again, your healthcare professionsl might be advising you differently on that too.

You'll get a lot of great advice from people on this forum.

Best wishes - John

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya and welcome,
it is a nasty shock and frightening at times,
please have a good think and ask as many qustions as you need to,
it is very helpful in the forum and you wont feel alone :D

mikey

Hi Shari,
Welcome to the forum.
Most of us felt just the same as you do on diagnosis but this forum is a great place to start.
I got my diagnosis for Christmas two years ago and I wasn't too happy either. :shock:

If I were you I would get a blood meter and start keeping a food diary.
If you do this you will soon know what foods work for you, and those that don't.
Ask as many questions as you like and someone we be here with suggestions or answers.

Regards,
Mike.

RWJ

Hi Shari

I was diagnosed 17 years ago, I knew from my thirst and going to the loo that I had diabetes but it was still a shock when the doctor told me. The nurse that was checking my blood said I had that 'sweet look', I thought she was being cute but she meant sugar sweet, ha ha.

I just wish I had known about a forum like this all those years ago, as it would have helped me a lot. The doctors and nurses are great but you get more help from people who are diabetic themselves, as we actually live with it.

As others have said, its not all that bad and if you look after it from the beginning you shouldn't really have any problems. Keep to all your appointments and keep your blood checks.

Good luck and don't let it spoil your birthday.

RWJ

MicksBabe

Hi Shari
I only found this site yesterday and have recently been diagnosed as having Type 2 Diabetes. Like you it was a shock and i am still in a state of confusion. Like you, i am in my forties and never expected something like this.But this site seems to have lots of helpful and friendly advice and i am sure we can both find comfort in what everyone has to offer.Good Luck.Chris :D

Dislikes
Hi all,
Firstly, thank you to everyone who replied. Chris, John, Mike Totsy and RWJ. It is so good to know I'm not alone in facing a new chapter in my life.

I don't know where to begin with so many questions to ask, but I'll start with having just been diagnosed, my doctor says I can control my situation with tablets - Metformin. I'm going to the surgery shortly to discuss them with him as I don't like what I read on the net yesterday doing research into the medication.

Can anyone tell me if these tablets have bad side effects - especially with stomach complaints.
What are other users experiences?

I know I have to educate myself about a new diet, but I'm not seeing the dibetic nurse for another 10 days!
What should I eat in the mean time? I read I should cut out starchy food and be very sensible, but I could really do with immediate advice of what I can eat. I have read so much conflicting advice on the net yesterday, that I am very confused and panicky.

Dobbs

Speaking personally as a 48-year-old type 2 on Metformin (diagnosed 15 months ago), what helped to get my blood sugar levels lower was drastically reducing the amount of carbs I eat. I always check the packaging for the carb content of things and the lower the better. I've virtually cut out bread, potatoes, rice and pasta from my diet, but veg, meat and dairy are all OK. And I avoid sweet things of course, or only in small amounts and not every day. :roll: I wish I'd been given this advice when I was diagnosed, as it REALLY helped me.
I know it's a bit frightening but actually diabetes is not so terrible if you are determined to deal with it. I totally agree that you should get a meter and test your levels first thing in the morning and, for a while at least, one hour after every meal, to see what various foods do to your blood sugar. I do, and write it all down in a notebook - it's amazing how useful that can prove to be, months down the line.

Dislikes
Hi Dobbs,
Thank you for your helpful reply.

You say getting your carbs down really helped you. Do you know how your levels were reduced? A monitor I presume? Did you have to buy this or were you offered one on the NHS? Do you have to prick your finger every day? (This has to be my worst nightmare, the thought of needles and no more cheesecake!)
What is a low carb number to be looking for on food packaging?

I am pleased to read that dairy is all ok. I love milk and yogurt. Meat and veg - sounds as though I can survive on that but no tates at a guess, right?

I am starting a food diary as of 3 days ago and I have cut out all sweet things. Am I doing the right thing? Or should I not be so strict? (I was offered choc gateau last night and was very proud of myself to decline!)

Dobbs

hi Shari,
Yes I bought a blood sugar meter (only £25) but you can often get them free apparently if you call up manufacturers. The catch is that the meter is the cheap part, it's the test strips that are expensive (mine work out at 50p each). Some doctors will prescribe these for you, others won't - there seems to be little logic in this, but as you'll see from this forum some people get them for the asking, others have to pay. Ho hum.
My fasting level was 17.6 at diagnosis, then after a couple of weeks of Metformin it came down to around 8.5 (which is still too high) and stayed around there for some months, occasionally higher, occasionally lower. Only after I started cutting back on carbs did it come pretty consistently below 7 and occasionally below 6. This is pretty good, although I'd like it to be ever lower and am working at that.
Yes, you have to prick your finger every day - I was pretty wimpish at the thought of it, but once I tried it I realised it's REALLY no problem, hardly hurts at all, and doesn't even show on your fingertips (unless you look really closely in a bright light :wink: ). Now I don't think twice about it.
Besides, the benefits of self-testing are enormous. (Even though my nice intelligent doctor advised me not to do it.) I began to feel in control of my condition once I started this, whereas I felt really helpless before and worried. It shows you what you can and can't handle food- and drink-wise if you want to keep your numbers down. We all seem to be a bit different in this regard, although there are many general patterns that keep showing up.
Keeping your numbers at a really good level is possible. It needs attention on a daily basis, though it's not so difficult once you learn what foods are "safe" for you, then it becomes more automatic. You do need to be strict, unfortunately. I bought a Collins Gem Carb Counter for £3.99 which gives you the carb content of most foods, and is invaluable.
Hope this helps.

Janieb

Dislikes
People who think that all diabetics are lazy - think some education is in order :0)
Hi there - yep I was diagnoised in June this year aged 41 very ****** off and scared I was going to collapse. But I'm doing fine now dropped 2 stone since mid June and my last H thingy test was 6.1 so getting better. Oh yeah and type 2.

Basically what I did was first of all reduce my portion sizes ( you'll be starving all the time so make sure you have some fruit in , apples, oranges seemed okay for me)

The next thing for you to do is to look at your starchy foods and cut back on them ie potatoes, pasta, rice etc.

Cut out sweeties, chocolate, cakes and make sure you're looking at the sugar content on any packaged food that you buy. Supprisingly I found that some cereals had a hell of a lot of sugar in them so I now eat porridge and toast ( brown) most mornings.

Re cakes/biscuits and so on you can get low sugar versions in Tescos just check as I was really quite suprised at what they stocked in the organic range.

But you do need to get yourself a machine and test strips and start testing to see whats happening with your blood sugar at least 2 hours after each meal.
Note: Type 2s are told we dont need to test but I'd tell your doc you need to test - I'm sure somebody on here will help you with the right article for you to print out to back you up.

Hope I've helped and not peeved you off by saying do this and do that - the above is my experience of foods and ways to bring my BPs under control - you'll need to learn how to do yours and you'll understand eventually what you can and cant have.

BTW - you're probably thinking about christmas as well - what to eat etc I know I was - theres a few posts about it so dont worry. xxx

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi Janieb.
You said,
Cut out sweeties, chocolate, cakes and make sure you're looking at the sugar content on any packaged food that you buy. Supprisingly I found that some cereals had a hell of a lot of sugar in them so I now eat porridge and toast ( brown) most mornings.

Re cakes/biscuits and so on you can get low sugar versions in Tescos just check as I was really quite suprised at what they stocked in the organic range.

So Janieb
Whilst I agree to a certain extent with what you say, it is NOT sugars alone you want to worry about on packaging....it is Carbohydrates which encompass sugars as well. The reason they are combined is because carbohydrates convert 100% to glucose when ingested, so if you are only looking at sugars on a label you are missing out the more toxic carbs. The stuff that 'whacks up' your Bg levels and can cause you to put on weight.

Here is an example for you: Kellogs Corn Flakes. Sugar content 8g per 30g serving. However the carb content including sugars is a whopping 31g per 30g serving. You need to check out your Porridge labels properly too. So only looking at sugars is not a good idea if you want good control of those all important numbers.

Janieb

Dislikes
People who think that all diabetics are lazy - think some education is in order :0)
Very True, I had forgotten to add the carb site - it was still early you know lol :lol:

Dislikes
Hiya,
Thanks for all the replies again.
It's all so confusing. I have just got back from my GP regarding the Metformin I've been prescribed. He said my blood sugar level was 20. Should be for me less than 5. So I have started taking the tablets today. 1 x 500mg 3 times a day!
Also said I need to have my bloods taken regularly..... how often is regularly? (I should have asked)

Can anyone point me in the direction of what I CAN eat? I'm a fussy eater so the sooner I learn what I can eat, the better I can cope with this new way of life.

Thank you.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Twosharppencils said:
Hiya,
Thanks for all the replies again.
It's all so confusing. I have just got back from my GP regarding the Metformin I've been prescribed. He said my blood sugar level was 20. Should be for me less than 5. So I have started taking the tablets today. 1 x 500mg 3 times a day!
Also said I need to have my bloods taken regularly..... how often is regularly? (I should have asked)

Can anyone point me in the direction of what I CAN eat? I'm a fussy eater so the sooner I learn what I can eat, the better I can cope with this new way of life.

Thank you.

At the bare minimum you need to be getting your HbA1c done at least every 3 months. This is to give a clear indication of the trend in your Bg levels....up/down.

I understand you are a Type 2 so the Bg levels you should be aiming for are the 2009 NICE guidelines:
Fasting (waking)............between 4 - 7 mmol/l.
2 hrs after meals...........no more than 8.5 mmol/l.
If you can get post meal readings than that then so much the better.

As far as what you eat is concerned....who knows ? I would say plenty of fresh produce, fruits, meats, veggies, no processed foods. Dep0endent on your own wishes you might want to eat lower carb foods, low fat foods, low salt foods. Remember you have to cater for any other conditions you may have, not just the Diabetes.

YOU have to look at foods which YOU like and see if you can still encompass them in YOUR diet. If I gave you details of all the things in my diet it would probably be totally unsuitable and even in some cases, harmful.

So, it's home work time for YOU. Using all the information you have just been given, a carb counting book, a food diary and frequent testing YOU will soon find out what you can and cannot eat. It takes a little time, but I for one certainly don't have quick fix diet for you to follow. Everybody likes different things and we are all very different.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Shari
the best and healthiest way of eating is
home prepared food, good quality and fresh.
Instead of basing meals on starchy foods. I base my plans on green vegetables. For example. I am doing pointed cabbage tonight for dinner, with well grilled streaky bacon.
I personally eat loads of fat and so am rarely hungry
I do about 8 hours of formal[class] exercise per week and walk pretty much everywhere. I leave much younger friends puffed out and with aching muscles the next day.
I adore mixed salads and soups.
I make our food pretty much all the time. I have a T1 husband, who needs this way of eating too.
Fish and chips( I eat about 4 chips) from our local "chippie" about once a month is a REAL TREAT.
I've also discovered that McDonald's chicken salad is enough to share with my toddler granddaughter if we're in town together at lunch time. And it tastes fresh and clean.
other than writing on this forum, I almost ignore the T2. It doesn't prevent me doing anything[aside from eating sweet stuff]