Diet Doctor Low Carb Challenge

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Slept better last night. I took pain killers before going to bed. BG still not bad - Bed 5.6 FBG 6.6 and pre breakfast 7.4.
Today I suspect will be a stir fry and tomorrow will definitely be the Diet Doctor burgers. Haven't had them in a while.

Reactions: Ultramum

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I'm having some very peculiar BGs at the moment. It dropped just over two whole points within 30 minutes yesterday afternoon leaving me feeling really strange like I was starting flu and a bit giddy/disoriented so I broke my fast and felt a bit better. I then decided on an early night and then, of course, woke early with an FBG of 6.3 which is fine except I couldn't have breakfast straight away and by the time I did get to eat it (90 mins delay) it had shot up to..... 8.9!!

At the moment I'm debating with myself whether to make an appointment with my GP as I really don't feel 'right' but can't identify exactly what feels 'wrong' (if you know what I mean). The problems with that is that a) the first appointment available is three weeks away and b) he will blame low carbing like he always does.

Ultramum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hope you get sorted @Chook. Our GP now has a nurse triage system - took me two weeks of seeing the nurse re my back spasms (who didn't seem to have a clue about the deleterious affect NSAIDs have on my kidneys :banghead: so just continued them for a fortnight) just to see the Dr and now another two week wait for test results.

Horrendous night for sleeping last night and BG high in middle of night but lower by time of getting up (liver must be confused!)

Weird two days to come as counting the votes for the mayor tonight then home to bed about 4.30am and then back to count local election votes (@Chook - I'm down to count your area!) tomorrow at 12.30pm. Hopefully my liver won't know whether it's coming or going!

The Council provide a meal - a sandwich, apple and bag of crisps - think I'll take my own Lidl cheese roll and a couple of Babybel

Reactions: maglil55

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
That meal the Council provides couldn't be worse really, could it? I

Yes, my GP has a triage system too. The triage nurse doesn't have a clue about anything and completely missed that my husband had symptoms of having had a mild stroke about a year ago. It took my husband having to say if he didn't get an appointment he would phone 999 from the surgery for him to be given an emergency appointment and even then the GP didn't send him for the scan he should have had.

Good luck for tonight. Will you be doing the count for the 8th June election, too?

Ultramum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That meal the Council provides couldn't be worse really, could it?

Definitely not!

Yes, my GP has a triage system too. The triage nurse doesn't have a clue about anything and completely missed that my husband had symptoms of having had a mild stroke about a year ago. It took my husband having to say if he didn't get an appointment he would phone 999 from the surgery for him to be given an emergency appointment and even then the GP didn't send him for the scan he should have had.

That's dreadful :-( We have one nightmare GP in our surgery who doesn't know what they are doing ... I'll only see them as a last gasp appointment - although there are so few appts that sometimes I have no choice - I usually try not to trouble them at all but need them to sort out my hypercalcaemia at the moment.

Good luck for tonight. Will you be doing the count for the 8th June election, too?

Would do normally but had already booked to go to Bournemouth with my Mum for the week :)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm enjoying my peace and quiet. Got all the fillers for the tiered pots, few more plants, been to vote in the council elections, washing on and just going to tidy the kitchen and get some food planning on the go.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Aqua fit soon so I had a breakfast of bacon , egg and a couple of chicken sausages. Bed on 6.2 FBG was 6.3 although I dropped to 5.4 overnight and was pretty stable. Got as far as 7.4 pre breakfast. Currently it crept up to 8 thanks to food but has turned and on its way down again.
Tonight will definitely be the Diet Doctor burgers.
@Ultramum - how is the count going? We won't hear anything until about lunchtime as they use the Single Transferable Vote - blooming complicated. You get a list of candidates and number them from 1 down to as many oŕ as few as you want. There were 7 on our list for 4 councillors. You can ignore the parties you don't want to include. By the sounds of things at the Stations seems quite a few didn't understand the system.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
What a beautiful day! I've watered pots and garden, weeded the raised bed, sewn some seeds in the greenhouse, changed the beds, cleaned through upstairs, cleaned bathroom, washed bedding and hung it out in the sunshine to dry. And it's only ten to eleven. Maybe I ought to get early every day if I can get this much done before 11am. Having said that, I will be glad when Mr C goes back to his normal afternoon/evening working hours.

BG not great but I am feeling a lot better. I suppose you can't have everything. :)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's a gorgeous day here too. Back from Aqua and I had the leftovers of yesterday's red Thai curry. Our council results are in and the SNP who were supposedly hoping to take control of our council have lost seats. Labour held up and the Conservatives have gained seats. Greens got nothing nor did the Lib Dems. We've had a Conservative/Labour coalition running the council for years so that looks set to continue. Odd coalition I know but it's worked for us for years. Seems the polls were right - Conservative vote is up in Scotland which I didn't think I would ever see.

Ultramum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Ultramum - how is the count going? We won't hear anything until about lunchtime as they use the Single Transferable Vote - blooming complicated. You get a list of candidates and number them from 1 down to as many oŕ as few as you want. There were 7 on our list for 4 councillors. You can ignore the parties you don't want to include. By the sounds of things at the Stations seems quite a few didn't understand the system.

Nothing quite so complicated here - we did the verification of all the votes last night and then counted the mayoral ones. Went back at lunchtime to do the counting of the local council elections.

Food supplied at night was a packet of crips and a LARGE chocolate muffin (took my own Lidl roll with cheese and marmite) and then today's sustenance was a large baguette filled with ham (ate the ham :) ), another packet of crisps and a very large apple (had taken my own Cathedral cheddar pieces!)

Now cream crackered and ready to open a bottle of red!

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Nothing quite so complicated here - we did the verification of all the votes last night and then counted the mayoral ones. Went back at lunchtime to do the counting of the local council elections.

Food supplied at night was a packet of crips and a LARGE chocolate muffin (took my own Lidl roll with cheese and marmite) and then today's sustenance was a large baguette filled with ham (ate the ham :) ), another packet of crisps and a very large apple (had taken my own Cathedral cheddar pieces!)

Now cream crackered and ready to open a bottle of red!
Don't blame you. I was eyeing a bottle of prosecco but stuck to water as I have had more food than usual today with the leftovers at lunchtime.

Reactions: Chook and Ultramum

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I really hope this is my BG finally stabilising. Bed on 6.3 last night. FBG 6.8 and the highest I got pre breakfast was 7.4. Even after breakfast it had turned and I was at 6 last time I looked. I had another cooked breakfast. Was at swimming with No 1 as usual and am currently debating tomorrow's menu. It's another beautiful day and I would rather stay home than go shopping as hubby is at football so it would be peaceful but ah well shopping calls.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I did fìnally decide on tomorrow's menu. Got a lovely bit of hake for a starter which I'll do with some olives, parsley , red peppers and harissa which I'll spice some cauliflower with. Was going to get samphire but it was a bit woody.
Main I got veal escalopes which will likely be done with a creamy mushroom sauce. The carb èaters have new potatoes and I will decide on veggies from ģreen beans; broccoli; sprouts; asperagus.
Dessert I have a sugar free jelly made with blueberries, raspberries and strawberries but for the carb eaters M&S had some new citrus profiterols which they can have with the jelly.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evenin' All.

Back home after several rather challenging days staying with relatives. last visit went so well, i kind of made the (unwise) assumption that this trip would go the same way.
Sadly not so.
Arrived Monday, left today, and the only time i wasn't starving and wrestling with irritable hunger was last night - when we took them out to dinner!

All low carb explanations and suggestions had been completely forgotten. Portion sizes were minute, and by the time i subtracted the carbs, they were microscopic.

And believe me, choosing to fast for x hours is a TOTALLY different experience from being fed so little you want to chew your own arm off - for 5 days - with portion control and meal times under other people's control. Interesting experience!

trouble is, they are in their 80s, and are visibly finding everything a bit harder, a bit more intimidating, and normal life much more challenging. Me landing in their midst, with weird food requests and a younger, larger appetite is patently outside their adjustment capacity nowadays. They had just reverted to their idea of 'normal', and forgotten everything we talked about last time. To the extent that i found several conversations running on an identical loop.

Gonna have to be very gently proactive next time. Will take food, snacks, cream with me. Gift them a luscious low carb cake. Take them out for more meals. Bring them some of our lovely award winning local butcher's sausages... Should have done it this time, but circumstances meant that i didn't have time to prep properly last weekend.

Ultramum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Gonna have to be very gently proactive next time. Will take food, snacks, cream with me. Gift them a luscious low carb cake. Take them out for more meals. Bring them some of our lovely award winning local butcher's sausages... Should have done it this time, but circumstances meant that i didn't have time to prep properly last weekend.

Look at it as a blip on the road ... I ended up with three sweet potatoes the size of my fist last weekend as a replacement for ordinary potatoes :)

Mind you I had taken a pack of salted macadamia nuts and a pack of Babybel cheeses with me ...

Ultramum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As work paperwork is late (again!) I'm going to be having a go at some oopsie bread and some seeded crackers tomorrow.

Reactions: Chook and maglil55

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Still hanging in there with the BG. Amazingly I went to bed on 5.4 FBG was 6.4 and got to 7.2 pre breakfast. Still had chicken sausages to eat so it had to be another cooked breakfast. Going to spice some cauliflower slices now with harissa to go with the hake later. No lunch today - it's Sunday so there is the weekly 3 course dinner to get through. Welcome back @Brunneria your visit to the relative brought a smile to my face.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Still hanging in there with the BG. Amazingly I went to bed on 5.4 FBG was 6.4 and got to 7.2 pre breakfast. Still had chicken sausages to eat so it had to be another cooked breakfast. Going to spice some cauliflower slices now with harissa to go with the hake later. No lunch today - it's Sunday so there is the weekly 3 course dinner to get through. Welcome back @Brunneria your visit to the relative brought a smile to my face.
Hubby distracted me with the plants for the hanging sleeves so I tested aģain before starting to eat breakfast and even more amazingly I'd dropped back to 6.7. Checked Libre and it was just a small blip to 7.2 and a quick turn down again. No weight loss again though. However, with my BG stable I'm not focusing on weight loss yet.

Adonno

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, I'm a T1D and i really want to try this low carb challenge, is this advisable for a T1D like me also should i take a meal shot or i still need to take and just decrease the dosage of my meal shot