Diet for anyone with gastroperisis

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
Hi, I haven't been diagnosed with this yet but I'm finding I can eat less and less as it's making me sick. What do people have for breakfast?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
A piece of turkey with avocado smashed in it. Or just avocado

Do you tolerate avocado?

I would think you'd need a very low fiber soft diet?

What are you eating?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
A piece of turkey with avocado smashed in it. Or just avocado

Do you tolerate avocado?

I would think you'd need a very low fiber soft diet?

What are you eating?
@Kristin251 - do you have signs of Gastroparesis or delayed gastric transit? I think that's what the OP was asking about breakfast in relation to.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Kristin251 - do you have signs of Gastroparesis or delayed gastric transit? I think that's what the OP was asking about breakfast in relation to.
Not that I know of but I have bad digestion and have to eat small meals and low fiber. Maybe the op would do better with smaller meals and low fiber?

Maybe I should have stayed out if it

Strachan1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think I have problem with gut too. Lost weight and feel sick when I eat.
Type 1

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I'm pinging @donnellysdogs who has a lot of experience of slow gastric transit and gastroparesis. Hopefully she can help you both.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think I have problem with gut too. Lost weight and feel sick when I eat.
Type 1

Strachan1 - Bearing in mind you are newly diagnosed, it is likely you've been unwell for a little while, leading up to diagnosis. When our sugars go out of control, it can impact so many bits of us.

Whilst I'm not T1, so have no personal experience to mirror your own, it strikes me that getting your sugars under some control is likely to help you feel generally better. I'm sure you're already working on that.

I'll tag @Juicyj and @tim2000s , hoping they drop in when they have a moment, I'll actually tag @mahola too as I seem to recall she hasn't been diagnosed very long

Good luck with it all Strachan. There's no doubt the learning curve is steep, but once you have a bit of a routine under your belt, things usually get a bit easier.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@Strachan1 - Whilst it's unlikely that you're suffering from gastroparesis or slow gastric transit linked to diabetes after such a short period, it is worth discussing your concerns with a healthcare professional. Slow gastric transit can occur for non-diabetic reasons.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Hi

First off if you have anything in your diet with any form of tomatoes or onions in it.. (even gravy or soup), please try to stop.

I know this doesnt approach the breakfast bit.. will come to that.

The only food recommended by my gastroenterologist was rice crispies! But, boy they gave me bad levels. I just ate breakfast when I needed to (due to the dramatic weight loss) and the only choice for me was to make my own smoothies at home.

Fat may well affect you too, so smoothies including coconut milk or cream to try and keep weight on may not be tolerated. But even if its an additional 3 tablespoons in big 6 jug glass of smoothie,then its more than without.

I found adding in whey or protein powder was essential to keeping my muscles that also shrank with the weight loss.

There is an avocado and choc mousse that I could also tolerate.

Americans can find they can tolerate graham crackers in small doses.. but I cant tolerate anything bread, pasta, rice or cereal.

My smoothies have avocado (frozen from tesco), blueberries, coconutmilk,spinach, tinned (injuice) peaches, melon (only 1/4 in abig jug) and whey protein powder and started off with making up dried skimmed milk initally rather than coconut milk.

I have never eaten breakfast in my life, so to force myself to was to try and keep weight on and get additional calories somehow.

There is a good facebook page giftuk gastrointestinalfailure...

But most importantly, tomatoes and onions in anything can make lining of stomach worse. Eliminating them totally can keep stomach from eroding away . Mine was fully eroded all over and giving me acid reflux up my throat. I still have fully eroded stomach but can tolerate other foods better now so long as no tomatoes, gravy, onion etc at all.

I'll come back this evening and give some more ideas....

It is so individual though, alot can tolerate different things and odd things are helpful... ie making an ice lolly!! Diabetes wise, its tough as a homemade ice lolly can be a little dificult to guestimate..

Hope this helps, but will be back later today when I remember back and chat with hubby about my early days..

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Or jars of baby food... look for pudding ones, as they wont be blended with anything with any type of onion or tomato.
They also taste better!
They should have dietary info on them too.

It maybe just a mouthful or two but they do have some (negluble) nutrition in them.

It is so important to get seen quickly by a good tertiary care hospital and gastroenterologist.
I paid privately for mine and got seen very quickly 5 years ago. Put back through NHS for investigations.
Moved and had to do the same again, but also had breast cancer as well and I did get rushed through because of eliminating aecondary cancer in me. (I was clear).

Also, daft as it might seem, ice lollies give you water, and tgey are dissipated through your mouth more than down your gut. Most bought ice lollies have carb info on packets or websites so can be bolused for easier than making own.

I coukd tolerate low fat yogurt. It was fat that was also screwing me up. So started on lower fats.

Stupud nhs dietitian told me to eat condensed milk-my gastroenterologist was horrified!! Told me not to under any circumstances.

Coconut milk tolerated in small doses but adding it with water in my smoothies or dried skimmed milk helped a lot.

I looked at the vitamins of everything I could manage, I logged everything.

Food I ate, bloods before and hourly for 24 hours. Retching and how offen I was able to go to loo and how many times etc I ended up with ambulancemen giving me morphine drips on toilet and having to go to A&E.

Every day I sat down for 2 hours writing this all down.
Everything, whether I could go out or not. Etc.

The worst time was being sat around or in bed so do try to walk somewhere everyday as this will put your stomach into working mode rather than sleep mode. After every meal, get up and walk around for 30 mins at least.

You need to log everything as you can be labelled as being all sorts of things like anorexic, bulimic etc.... mental health issues.

Something else was going to mention but forgotten now. I have to write as I think things, so hopefully hubby will remind me...

Thinking of youxx

Reactions: Juicyj

Kailee56

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow, after all this info, my contribution seems a bit simplistic.
Try chewing gum. I read a lot and this quote is from Dr. bernstein's Diabetes Solution

"The act of chewing produces saliva, which not only contains digestive enzymes but also stimulates muscular activity in the stomach and tends to relax the pyloric. Many of the modern "sugarless" chewing gums contain only 1 gram of xylitol and so will have little effect on your blood sugar. .Chewing gum for at least 1 hour after meals is a very effective treatment for gastroparesis outside of major dietary change. Don't chew one piece after another, because the grams of sugar can add up."

Reactions: donnellysdogs

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I have gum as well.. good suggestion... forgot that one!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Costa fruit coolers are manageable too!!-lol..

Strachan1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Strachan1 - Bearing in mind you are newly diagnosed, it is likely you've been unwell for a little while, leading up to diagnosis. When our sugars go out of control, it can impact so many bits of us.

Whilst I'm not T1, so have no personal experience to mirror your own, it strikes me that getting your sugars under some control is likely to help you feel generally better. I'm sure you're already working on that.

I'll tag @Juicyj and @tim2000s , hoping they drop in when they have a moment, I'll actually tag @mahola too as I seem to recall she hasn't been diagnosed very long

Good luck with it all Strachan. There's no doubt the learning curve is steep, but once you have a bit of a routine under your belt, things usually get a bit easier.

Strachan1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for your advice. It took my surgery 6 months to realise I needed to come from Type 2 to Type 1. Lost 4 stone. I don't think I could eat because my sugars were in the 20's all the time and it made me feel sick. Only been on insulin for 3 weeks. I'm eating a little bit more but some days I'm forcing myself to have lunch when I don't really want it. Always feel full on a little amount. Hopefully this might get better as the months go on. Think my stomach has shrunk a bit!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Did you eat 3 meals a day before diagnosis @Strachan1?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
My first hubby got told his stomach had shrunk and he when he met my family and me could only eat teaplates of food and would be full. He was only a 26" waist at age 26. He did increase to a 30" over 12 years....but he and I both had small intakes of food. I still have small intake but most from stomach probs now.

There is quite a difference between feeling full, no hunger than the symptoms of GP. With GP you can be vomiting drinking a small amount of water and bloating to look pregnant is horrendous even when a couple teaspoons of food and pain is gross.

Last edited:

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
Thanks for all the info. I don't have all the symptoms of GP but I have the nausea, sick, uncomfortable stomach. The top part of my stomach just under my ribs is very delicate, if I have my arms folded it starts to make me feel sick, I can't bear tight clothes around my stomach. I'm not in any pain. I don't eat very well at the best of times and this is making it so much worse as I'm so scared of being sick. At work on Monday approx 2 1/2 hours of my breakfast of shreddies, I threw up at work which was absolutely mortifying as I didn't have time to get to a toilet. What treatment are people on? I'm on anti sickness tablets but they don't seem to work.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for all the info. I don't have all the symptoms of GP but I have the nausea, sick, uncomfortable stomach. The top part of my stomach just under my ribs is very delicate, if I have my arms folded it starts to make me feel sick, I can't bear tight clothes around my stomach. I'm not in any pain. I don't eat very well at the best of times and this is making it so much worse as I'm so scared of being sick. At work on Monday approx 2 1/2 hours of my breakfast of shreddies, I threw up at work which was absolutely mortifying as I didn't have time to get to a toilet. What treatment are people on? I'm on anti sickness tablets but they don't seem to work.

Have you seen your Doc about this, and did he have a bit of a feel around your gallbladder? I'm suggesting you have gallbladder issues, but it is around where you describe your discomfort and nausea can be a symptom for gallbladder issues.