Diet

Keesha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
When I was first diagnosed with pre diabetes, my doctors said just stay away from bread and you will be fine. I did, but after a year I was a full blown diabetic.

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. You need to keep all carbs down and not just bread. I assume you were diagnosed as T2? Can you let us know what your weight or BMI is.

tpaz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Cardio exercise
Yes, diagnosed with T2 and my BMI is 17.2

It's very unlikely, not impossible, but unlikely that you are Type 2. You're more likely Type 1 or LADA. We don't see many Type 2's who are close to underweight. Do you have an endocrinologist? If so ask them for the proper bloodwork to be tested for Type 1.

@Kristin251 and @Daibell definitely know more than me about this. I've tagged them here and, hopefully, they can help.

Keesha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Tpaz, thanks for the input. LOL T1? I shall have to ask my doctor about it. What is the difference between T1 & T2? FYI I do have a very strong history of diabetes in family. Everyone member has diabetes.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Type 1 and LADA are insulin dependent. LADA is latent autoimmune diabetes in adults. I am 52 and started insulin 2 years ago. My bs kept going up and my weight kept going down.
LADA is often misdiagnosed as type 2 as I was.
The tests you need to ask for are c peptide and GAD. Those tests will tell you if you have antibodies and if you are still making insulin and how much.
Some Drs don't like to do them but with a BMI of 17 you should push hard for it.

What kind of BS # s do you have ?
I would also advise drastically reducing carbs at least until you have this sorted out if your numbers are over 140. Not sure what you mean by full blown?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I agree with @Kristin251. That BMI is very low for a T2. If your blood sugar remains too high even with low-carbing then suspect LADA. It can come on slowly over several years as mine did so use a meter to check your blood sugar. LADAs may be able to stay on tablets for a few years but eventually insulin will be needed. Don't panic though as insulin, if needed, is not the problem it once was and is really just a nuisance.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A BMI of 17.2 is considered dangerously underweight. Have you lost a lot of weight recently, pre diagnosis, and suddenly, without trying or have you always been very slight?

What sort of diabetes is in your family history? Are there any type 1s? Has anyone ever been investigated for MODY?

Reactions: 5 people

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
This may sound a daft question but anyway..

Are we talking about BMI, as in Body Mass Index (the proportion of your body which is fat) or are we talking about a blood glucose test result? I didn't know that an HbA1c could reach 17, but I'm just wondering if there is some confusion here?
Kesha, can you tell us if you are very underweight? If not, I think we have the BMI confused with something else?? I just can't see the connection at the moment between being given the T2 diagnosis, and the BMI?

Keesha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi everyone, thanks for your concern. 17.2 is my Body Mass Index. I have always been a skinny girl all my life but lost more weight when I was having problem with Metformin. I had terrible diarrhea for one month until I reduce my dosage. I am eating well but cannot seem to regain my weight. Cannot eat too much otherwise my blood sugar will go up. My last HBA1C was 6.3. Fasting blood sugar is around 5 to 6 most mornings. None of the readings are above 10 due to tight control of my diet. Am I doing okay?

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Hmm. I would agree with the other contributors who have experience with Type 1 and MODY and head back to your doc. Although what you have described isn't impossible for type 2, it's very unusual and I would be questioning if you have the right diagnosis. The tests Kristin has mentioned are the ones that you need, and you may well have to push for them, but they're important.
If you are type 1, or MODY, you will need insulin, it can't be controlled by just diet and you could end up quite unwell. 10 is still on the high side, and if you are not eating too many carbs, it should be lower. Please go and ask for these tests, but in the meantime, can you give us an idea of what you eat for your meals? We can then help with advice on how much carb you are ingesting.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
A BMI of 17 is skin and bones. I have never been over weight but lost way too much weight. Guessing here without the right blood tests but LADA seems to be it. Dont let them misdiagnose you as type 2. Almost cost me my life. Both GAD and c peptide are simple blood sticks.

Btw, insulin does not make you fat, it makes you healthy. I was so adamant about not going on insulin and now I would fight anyone who tried to take it away.

Keesha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My breakfast consist of one slice of pumpernickel bread with peanut butter, followed by a bowl of fresh fruits, nuts and a dollop of yoghurt, plus a slice of date bar. Two hours later I have some nuts. Lunch is half a cup of basmati rice with chicken and sauté vegetables. Two hours later have an apple. For dinner time it is a plate of noodles with meat and vegetables. I never feel hungry at anytime. I don't usually eat after dinner.

tpaz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Cardio exercise
@Keesha i think you're eating way too many carbs. If you count everything up, you're well over 150 or 200 grams a day. A serving of noodles, alone, is about 60!

Eliminate the fruit at breakfast, for sure. Maybe try having some eggs? Same goes for the rice and the noodles. These are huge no-no's until you can get your levels under control, or figure out what's going on. Pumpernickel or rye bread is also not the best in terms of carbs and fiber. Whole grain bread is best.

Never have a piece of fruit on its own, always try to eat it with a protein, this way you won't spike as much after eating it. Although I would say to cut out fruit entirely, too. Just replace them with non-starchy veggies (no potatoes or other root veggies).

Edit: sorry, I forgot to add, where's the fat in your diet? You definitely need to add some dairy, avocado and other fats in.

Keesha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks for input on my diet. I agree I eat too much carbs but have already cut down. Used to eat a lot more. I suppose I shall have to change the way I eat. Will consider eating avocado although I do not like the taste. I will also try to include eggs and whole grain bread for breakfast. It seems that everything I love is off limits. Thanks once again for enlightening me. I still have lots to learn.

tpaz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Cardio exercise
Thanks for input on my diet. I agree I eat too much carbs but have already cut down. Used to eat a lot more. I suppose I shall have to change the way I eat. Will consider eating avocado although I do not like the taste. I will also try to include eggs and whole grain bread for breakfast. It seems that everything I love is off limits. Thanks once again for enlightening me. I still have lots to learn.

I know exactly how you feel. I'm not saying you can't eventually have these again, but unfortunately I don't think your diagnosis is clear, and until then you should stay as lo carb as possible.

If you're type 1 eating lots of carbs with no insulin, it will destroy your body.

If you're type 2, eating lots is carbs with or without meds will destroy your body.

Keesha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Had eggs and whole grain toast this morning for breakfast. Will make appointment with doctor as soon as I am back from vacation. Going to Europe to watch Andre Rieu in concert in Amsterdam. Have a wonderful day everyone.

Reactions: 3 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Enjoy your trip @Keesha :)

I'd second the advice to get a GAD test and try to have your diabetes type confirmed. Your BMI is very low - I speak as a very slim lady myself : D Hopefully, once you know your type for sure, you'll be able to put on a little,weight and be more confident about what to eat, both to control your blood sugar and maintain a healthy weight.

Keesha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you azure, as well as everyone who had been a tremendous help to me. Hoping to put on some weight during vacation. Hugs to all.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Conufsed. Newly diagnosed with type 2 and plus sized and test blood 2xday. I am thrilled with he number of 100 or less. So, confused by the single digit numbers you report.

Also, real life people say they basically eat what they want and assume the meds are keeping their numbers down. Yet, nutritionist are big on portions and carbs. Yes, I take glyburide.
Is eating often helpful?