Dietabetic

Pammy27

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Can't eat goodies
Evening all my name is Pam from the uk it was only last Fri I got diagnosed with dietbaties 2 this gave me an awful fright as I have anxiety I didn't know how to take it or wat it was but my nurse gave a website to look at it's really good
If anyone on here can help me through this and help me it would be so brilliant

Estragon

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Too many to list here . . .
Good to see you here. There’re many willing listeners to hear your story and provide ideas for curbing Diabetes. Please read my “signature” below this reply I’ve given you and you can get an idea of my Journey thus far.

Welcome aboard! :)

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
Evening all my name is Pam from the uk it was only last Fri I got diagnosed with dietbaties 2 this gave me an awful fright as I have anxiety I didn't know how to take it or wat it was but my nurse gave a website to look at it's really good
Hi Pam. It's really normal to be scared at first. We all were. But as you get to know more and more about your condition you will definitely ease into it and hopefully feel well supported, especially by this amazing lot on this forum. They will answer whatever questions you have or just listen, if that's what you feel you need the most to begin with. You are among friends :) x

Reactions: ziggy_w and EllieM

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome to the club of many. The best diet is usually the most important thing about controlling diabetes and that means keeping the carbs that you eat at a sensibly low level. Try to focus on proteins, fats, veg and non-tropical fruit rather than too much bread, pasta, potatoes etc.

Reactions: SaskiaKC and zand

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi Pammy
I'm assuming you have T2 diabetes?
It is a shock, but the good news is that if you take control now you have a good chance of getting into remission (that is getting your blood sugar down into the normal range for several months, and maintaining this).
Many of us decided that lowing carbohydrates (not just ordinary sugar) is the easiest way to do this.
There are lots of sites with advice, recipes, etc. And it is not just about giving up foods you like but eating things you might have given up before and finding new foods.
Eat plenty of unprocessed/low processed foods with out added sugar and low in carbs - full fat cheese, butter, oil are all fine.

I avoid most fruit but eat a few fresh raspberries nearly every day, with blueberries, blackberries etc on other days - usually with full fat Greek yogurt as that is the lowest carb yogurt. I also make a fake rhubarb crumble using ground almonds instead of sugar - served with double cream.