different readings

Mrs Sy

Hi,

I'm hoping someone might be able to give me a bit of advice because I'm getting myself in a bit of a tizzy to say the least!

I've taken my blood sugar level this morning and within the space of half an hour I have had:

The first 2 reading were within 2 minutes of each other and the final readings were within 2 minutes of each other. I haven't had anything to eat, or taken my metformin. The only thing I did have was a glass of water and one of my levothyroxine tablets between the second and third reading. I have also completed a control check on the machine and that didn't indicate anything was wrong on the machine.

Its really freaked me and I am now questioning whether all my other readings I have taken have been accurate or whether other people have had the same issue?

I was diagnosed 3 months ago and am still trying to get my head around everything and retain it all!

Many thanks for reading and for your help in advance.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Its really freaked me and I am now questioning whether all my other readings I have taken have been accurate or whether other people have had the same issue?

Unfortunately meters are just not that accurate I'm afraid, they are only required to be within 15% of the actual value therefore for the first 2 reading if your reading was actually 12.5, both 13.4 and 11.7 are well within that 15% of 12.5 - there are details here: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/blood-glucose-meters/blood-glucose-meter-accuracy.html.
Also note readings can be wrong for many reasons as well - including residue on your hands where you do the test (food, hand lotions, other stuff), dodgy strips, out of date strips, dodgy meter (though this one is rare)

Reactions: Redbutterfly

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Stress also increases Blood Glucose readings. So if you are calm then you are likely to get lower readings.

Reactions: Redbutterfly

Redbutterfly

Hi @Mrs Sy, do your levothyroxine tablets usually increase your BG level? My BG usually increases a bit when I take mine

Ooh I don’t know. I’ve not thought about that before. I’ve just had blood test results back (kept having heart palpitations) and was told thyroid level was well within range. But haven’t thought about the medication abs whether that is having an effect. I’ll test around that thank you.

Reactions: sleepster

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Statins and Steroids often cause higher BG, other medication sometimes do that too depending upon the individual ( we are all different).
Stress, anxiety, infection, lack of sleep and other factors can also affect BG readings.

Mrs Sy

Thank you so much for that Ianf0ster, I didn't realise that at all. Funnily enough, my GP contacted me because my bloods were showing an infection of some sort too. Not sure what the infection was though! Got to have another test in 2 months.
Thanks everyone - its a real learning curve isn't it?

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've taken my blood sugar level this morning and within the space of half an hour I have had:

Were you fasting at the time? That is, was it first thing in the morning, having consumed nothing but water since the night before?

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you so much for that Ianf0ster, I didn't realise that at all. Funnily enough, my GP contacted me because my bloods were showing an infection of some sort too. Not sure what the infection was though! Got to have another test in 2 months.
Thanks everyone - its a real learning curve isn't it?

With time, and a lot of testing(!), the main thing to do is to check the trend of your numbers and how they are affected by the food you eat and how you are feeling. Individual numbers can be a bit of a shaker so it's best to try to not get too hung on them.
Good luck and check in any time.