Type 1 Disciplinary warning for diabetes at work

Type1Daisyx

Hi, I work for a major supermarket in the UK and have type 1 diabetes. I’ve had 3 days off over the past 12 months due to high keytones. What’s your view on my written warning reason? (Not to mention the bad spelling)
IMG_1613230703.584933.jpg

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thoughts that pop to mind.
Disability discrimination act covers type 1. I think the diabetes.org group have advocacy. I’m sure other type 1’s will be along soon who can help with this.

Who issued this warning? Were HR involved? Any medical professionals? Have you had sight of their absence policy? Is there a diabetes policy? Have you had a verbal warning previously?

They seem confused perhaps between type 1 and 2 and diet. Who has decided your diet is to blame?

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Can you send me by pm the supermarket name. I want to boycott them. "Self inflict", what an insult.

Reactions: Dr Snoddy

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I work for a major supermarket in the UK and have type 1 diabetes. I’ve had 3 days off over the past 12 months due to high keytones. What’s your view on my written warning reason? (Not to mention the bad spelling)
View attachment 47444
Was HR involved in that meeting? Given it's a major supermarket you'd assume they should be. If I was even tempted to give a written warning due to illness there is no way I would proceed without their involvement

As already mentioned, diabetes would fall under the disability protected characteristic under under the equality act 2010, whether it applies for time off work into being discriminated against maybe... Not a lawyer, you need proper advice

Did you have someone else in that meeting with you? That note makes it sound like you have admitted liability regarding diet. Not saying you did by the way, just that's how it is worded.

Thinking a union thing too

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
View attachment 47444
This looks like an unofficial warning someone has written without the appropriate input from higher ups or HR. I would forward a copy of this to whoever is in charge of HR and cc management.

Is it signed and dated? What rank above you is the person who wrote it?

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
This is a shocker! I agree with the previous queries. Also, have you had absences prior to this? Verbal warnings? Would you have received this if you had phoned in with an absence due to e.g. a stomach upset? Are other staff members similarly targeted? Over-zealous, under-trained manager?

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
View attachment 47444
I am astonished that whoever wrote this refers to you just as Daisy. So disrespectful.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A major supermarket should have standard letters for this sort of thing. This obviously isn't one!

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Pig ignorant education

It may simply be that it's been written by someone whose first language isn't English. Having said that, it looks like its been written hurriedly on a ratty old bit of paper rather than any HR/Official form or document. I could understand maybe if we were talking about a small corner shop with one shopkeeper but I wonder what well known Supermarket this is. They should all have proper procedures and HR depts, etc.

Edited to add; as Zand said!

Reactions: oldgreymare

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Having said that, it looks like its been written hurriedly on a ratty old bit of paper rather than any HR/Official form or document.

Or the paper has been folded so we cant see any of the official headers and such :)

Reactions: Type1Daisyx

Dark Horse

A written warning is serious, it goes on your file and can be the first step towards dismissal. Here's what Acas has to say:-
https://www.acas.org.uk/disciplinar...support or training the employer will provide

You should appeal this decision on the grounds that it is unfair and seek to have the written warning removed from your file. Details from Acas how to appeal are here:-
https://www.acas.org.uk/appealing-a-disciplinary-or-grievance-outcome

If you are a member of a union, you should talk to them, If not, Citizen's Advice should be able to advise you:- https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/

It seems like the person who wrote the letter has made an error - every major supermarket would be aware that type 1 diabetes is regarded as a disability under the Equality Act 2010 .

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Hi Daisy, it would be nice to hear back from you. Are you ok? Do you have someone to support you? This does sound as though you are being bullied.

Reactions: OrsonKartt

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Type1Daisyx this is appalling. Did you have any verbal warnings from your employer prior to issue of the written warning? Were HR present and did you have a friend or colleague with you? Can I ask, apart from your your diabetes, have you had much time off sick otherwise? As others have pointed out diabetes is considered a disability and this could be classed as being discriminatory. Have you been requested to acknowledge receipt of the warning - if so I wouldn’t sign it without taking it further. Hope it gets sorted - perhaps occupational health should get involved to help your manager understand T1 diabetes.

BRSBRI

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Custard (just as well)
Port and stilton
Influencers on Social Media
Kardashians and lookalike, actalike groupies
Reality TV shows
This is horrendous. Most of the points I'd make have already been covered here.

I'd emphasise getting ACAS, local CAB involved; get in touch with Diabetes.org.UK who have an advocacy function too.

Also, as others have pointed out, the most damning thing if this is a major supermarket chain (and even if the unit in which you work is a franchise) there are policies, procedures and ethics. Diabetes can be classed as a disability too.

Take it further up the line and OH, HR have to become involved...

Wish you all the best.

Type1Daisyx

Are you in a union?

I would definitely try to take this further. Personally, I would ask for a second interview with someone who is a) literate and b) who is intelligent enough to understand the difference between T1 and T2.

I have 14 days to appeal it to store manager which I might do, I wasn’t sure if this was normal or not.

Type1Daisyx

@Type1Daisyx this is appalling. Did you have any verbal warnings from your employer prior to issue of the written warning? Were HR present and did you have a friend or colleague with you? Can I ask, apart from your your diabetes, have you had much time off sick otherwise? As others have pointed out diabetes is considered a disability and this could be classed as being discriminatory. Have you been requested to acknowledge receipt of the warning - if so I wouldn’t sign it without taking it further. Hope it gets sorted - perhaps occupational health should get involved to help your manager understand T1 diabetes.

Hey, I had three absences in the past 12 months 2 were diabetes related and 1 was a kidney infection. I had no one but the manager and a note taker which was another manger. I just went along with what they said at the time because I felt a bit weary about it but not until I read the note I thought it was a bit off.