Disheartening

Smiler69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi. For nearly 4 weeks I’ve completely changed my way of eating. (as I’ve said in previous posts)

My blood sugars were 25+ and now range from 5.5-9. I’m trying the low carb high fat way of eating. Don’t get me wrong, I’m chuffed with the reduction in my blood sugars. And have surprised myself at how focused I’ve been. BUT (always seems to be a but!!) I have to admit that I am disheartened that I’ve only lost approx 3kg in weight. Could this be due to taking Gliclazide?

I have a little devil whispering in my ear “what’s the point in giving up all the bad foods if you are not going to lose weight?”

D

Deleted member 308541

I have a little devil whispering in my ear “what’s the point in giving up all the bad foods if you are not going to lose weight?”
You tell the little devil whisperer that you have lost three kilos every time you hear the whisper and that you will loose more.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
The fixation on weight loss (and 3 kg is good thus far) is very much secondary to the end game in controlling blood sugars.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
3kg is brilliant, we always say it’s a marathon not a sprint, blood sugar and weight wise. Keep up the good work, as @Antje77 says your blood sugar improvement is so important to keep diabetic complications at bay.

Reactions: copilost and 1spuds

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
But you've won - you are in control of your blood glucose.
Whatever weight you are is - I'd have thought - totally immaterial.
Your weight did not make you diabetic, it might be a side effect and in 6 months you might be several stone lighter - but your health is no longer in the same jepardy as when you were seeing those high numbers.

Reactions: copilost and 1spuds

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Because you feel better, look great (if that’s you on the avatar) and are doing good stuff for your health?

Reactions: copilost

1spuds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Take one victory at a time.Now its BG,then the weight.They say it over and over here,its a marathon,not a sprint.Big congrats on the BG success!

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Losing 3k in 4 weeks is great. Even losing 2kg in 4 weeks is good!
And the huge positive is the control of the Blood Glucose.

Losing weight fast just isn't sustainable for the vast majority of people. That is why they gain more weight after a crash diet.
What makes you think that you are different - especially since your body has already shown you that it doesn't tolerate Carbs very well?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Some of us don't lose weight on low carb - but we still stick to it because of the other benefits.

You have already lost 3kg - which is brilliant, and suggests that you will lose more if you stick to it.
But your main win is the blood glucose reduction. That is more than brilliant.
Stick with it, and maintain that bg reduction and it will transform your energy levels, your overall health, reduce the number of infections, colds, viruses, aches and pains, improve sleep quality, stamina... the list is very long. It will also give you a much more comfortable old age and reduce your risks of heart disease and stroke, because you will have less hyperinsulinaemia.

I can't actually think of a downside, since eating low carb can also be more delicious, more varied, and more nutritious than most carby diets. I mean, have you seen the recipes out there? Gourmet eating is a LC lifestyle choice. ;)

Reactions: Daphne917

Vidar

Don't be disheartened, as others have said your blood sugars are so much better and your weight is headed in the right direction if you're looking to lose.

Most will likely disagree with me here but don't deny yourself the occasional carby treat so long as it is occasional. I give myself one treat a week. Today I had a mcflurry with the toppings with it being so hot and something I used to enjoy regularly. It's better than death by sweet tooth.

Keep going though, better health awaits.