Disposable pen alternatives

Bertyboy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have been prescribed NovoNordisk Levemir and Novorapid "FlexPens". Whilst they do the job, it seems like a lot of plastic to keep throwing away. Are they recyclable, or is there a slightly less wasteful alternative that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

jadeashton24

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
NovoNordisk makes refillable pens (echo pen (does half units) and novopen 4 and novopen 5)
and the levemir and novorapid come in ‘penfills’

Your gp can prescribe them or you can ask your diabetic nurse for them.

https://www.novonordisk.com/patient...eedles-and-injection-support/NovoPenEcho.html

https://www.novonordisk.com/patients/diabetes-care/pens--needles-and-injection-support/NovoPen4.html

https://www.novonordisk.com/patients/diabetes-care/pens--needles-and-injection-support/NovoPen5.html

Reactions: Bertyboy

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
I have been prescribed NovoNordisk Levemir and Novorapid "FlexPens". Whilst they do the job, it seems like a lot of plastic to keep throwing away. Are they recyclable, or is there a slightly less wasteful alternative that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?
I agree with the waste but I was prescribed Novorapid in half units where you had to insert a vial into the pen "shell". Too much like being a doctor for me and definitely too much faff. Perhaps other will have had a more positive experience.

Bertyboy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
NovoNordisk makes refillable pens (echo pen (does half units) and novopen 4 and novopen 5)
and the levemir and novorapid come in ‘penfills’

Your gp can prescribe them or you can ask your diabetic nurse for them.

https://www.novonordisk.com/patient...eedles-and-injection-support/NovoPenEcho.html

https://www.novonordisk.com/patients/diabetes-care/pens--needles-and-injection-support/NovoPen4.html

https://www.novonordisk.com/patients/diabetes-care/pens--needles-and-injection-support/NovoPen5.html
That looks better. I'll have to see if I can get those on prescription. Thanks.

Levy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, I used both Novorapid and Levemir in penfills. They come in a packet of 5 vials and you just pop them into a refillable pen (as @jadeashton24 said, they come in a 1u or 0.5u version, I have the 1u one for Levemir and the 0.5u one for Novorapid).

I was changed from Levemir to Tresiba a couple of weeks ago, which also comes in disposable pens. I agree on the waste, plus I somehow feel like the refillable pens are more sturdy.

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use a Novopen Echo with Fiasp for 1/2 units. Takes around 20 seconds to swap a cartridge out. I still have the Flexpens for my Lantus basal though.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I’ve got an appointment next month and I’m going to ask for a half unit pen. Since going low carb and getting Libre, a whole unit of Novorapid is sometimes a bit too much to nudge my sugar level down without going hypo. I think my insulin sensitivity has increased a fair bit, I’ve already cut my Lantus from 18 units twice a day to 11. Thanks for the info, everyone!

D

Deleted Account

Completely agree with you @Bertyboy.
When I was first diagnosed, I was given the choose between reuseable or throw away pens. Without seeing them, I very quickly opted for refillable to avoid adding to the plastic mountain and was not disappointed.
They were incredibly easy to refill: just unscrew, wind back, insert filled cartridge and screw back together again.
And, when you go out, taking a spare cartridge or two takes up a lot less space than taking a whole new pen.

My pens lasted for 7 or 8 years. However, I would strongly recommend making sure you have spare pens in case they break. One spare for each type of insulin. If you ever get "odd" readings, changing pens is always an option.

I also had 0.5 unit pens (until I moved to the pump). Things may have changed but at the time, these were only available "for children" which meant they were brightly coloured rather than "professional grey" but apart from that they worked in exactly the same way.

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Things may have changed but at the time, these were only available "for children" which meant they were brightly coloured rather than "professional grey" but apart from that they worked in exactly the same way.

They sure haven't - my Echo is a lovely metallic shade of blue :happy:

Dodo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
They sure haven't - my Echo is a lovely metallic shade of blue :happy:
I have the metallic blue Echo too. The half unit measurement is invaluable. I tried the pre-filled pens some years ago but they felt flimsy in comparison, as well as the fact that it felt so wasteful.

Reactions: Levy

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes. I have the re-fillable Novopens; one 1 unit and 1 1/2 unit. I've been using the same ones for years. I don't see the point of throw-away pens. My DN offered me the choice when I started

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve got an appointment next month and I’m going to ask for a half unit pen. Since going low carb and getting Libre, a whole unit of Novorapid is sometimes a bit too much to nudge my sugar level down without going hypo. I think my insulin sensitivity has increased a fair bit, I’ve already cut my Lantus from 18 units twice a day to 11. Thanks for the info, everyone!

Wanted my Toujeo in half units, unfortunately not an option. Do 8 one day 9 another to compensate. Unfortunately that doesn’t quite work With basal!