Disposing of Test Strips

torheedamy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I just put everything into the yellow box ive got, as its got blood on, i was thinking of asking my local environment agency when the come for my yellow box what they would perfer me to do.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would not put them down the toilet, they don't biodegrade and even small bits of plastic mess up the sewerage treatment plant. I just stick mine out in the normal landfill bins

martwolves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Selfish people, arseholes who think they know it all, ignoramuses, chavs and people with no manners. People who play music on the bus or train full blast on their phones.
Hi,

I have 2 sharps boxes, 1 at home and 1 at work in my drawer. Any contaminated products, pen needles, lancets and test-strips go into the contaminated sharps box. When full, take to clinic on way home to be incinerated. When I have my weekly anti-coag tests and my home one is full, I drop that off at the heaalth practice next door to the clinic before my appointment. Dead easy and no one can possobly object. Also, no risk if anyone with broken skin/cuts are about, as only I handle them. Simples!

It's not difficult and saves messing about.

Cheers

Mart.

L

Luna21

I inject another drug for my arthritis, so I can put my lancets and strips in there. I wouldn't feel happy about putting things like that into the household rubbish.

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The hassle and ignorance of diabetes.
I've always disposed of my needles, lancets, etc., religiously in a sharps bin, but never the strips... I'm going to add them to the sharps bin from now - it's only fair to the refuse collectors.

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Accu chek mobile. No strips to dispose of. Just a self contained cassette at the end of the 50.

@myroomsadisco

Paul J

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
all the things i should have.....well some anyway
I put them in the bin, however, toast lover, you should not put them down the toilet, they only have to be filtered out the other end, thats if they dont get stuck first, and cause a build up upstream, then when they have been removed, they have to be sent for disposal, so this causes more cost and handling, and potential contamination than sticking them in the bin, so please, from a plumbers point of view, put them in the waste bin, thanks,

Trunin

Dislikes
Arrogance, lies, and flees
Hello !

I just toss my used strips in the trashcan, and the lancets too since I put them in a protective container.

eternaloptimist

Dislikes
Special Rights, Ignorance, Organised Religion
I was issued with a "sharps" box by my DN when its full I'm supposed to take it to her and she will dispose of it.

martwolves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Selfish people, arseholes who think they know it all, ignoramuses, chavs and people with no manners. People who play music on the bus or train full blast on their phones.
Re: Toastlover. Do you serious test your blood in the least hygienic place in the house possible? I am stunned. Each to their own. Sorry, I'm not passing judgment, it's none of my business, but I'd never test on the toilet. :)

jwilki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I use a plastic milk bottle for all sharps and test strips and when full take it to hospital and they dispose of it for me, and remember no NHS here but they do it free of charge.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

vicky_l

I put mine in the sharps container I put my needles in from testing all goes in same place and then back to docs to dispose of kinda made sense to me when I started testing

first box going back on Thursday will get a new container at same time
xoxox

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
When I used to get my sharps bin from the chemist (in France), the box they were in used to quote French and EU legislation to the effect that strips were a biohazard and should be disposed of in the sharps bin so I've always done that. ( Somewhere in a very old post I quoted the directive, cant' find it now nor quote as I get my bins from my nurse and don't come boxed . )

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Mine go in the bin and if I test while im out I put the used strip back in my meter wallet till I get home :D