ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I haven't had DKA but I'm at risk of having DKA as I'm insulin deficient. If I don't take insulin then my sugars will go high. The only time I came close was when I was in hospital with an infection and they found I had high ketones. And yes I agree @ickihun that c-peptide test should really be done more as routine for type 2's as things change. I think it should be done at least every 3 years minimum (I say that as that is how quick I think things changed for me at one point). I've had 3 of the tests since diagnosis.... although I'm sure I had a couple of years where I should've been on insulin when I wasn't. If they're not done, then people could be wasting time on the wrong treatment.... not only that it would be damaging the body.
I think I edge my bets and watch type1 posts which rings similiarities due to insulin taking.
My consultant just mentions how high my insulin resistance is.
I'm hoping to get my body sorted out before a bariatric surgery. Then I had a half chance of any balance back into my health.
Weight has always been the visible health problem but like us all its what they don't see (eg on-coming DKA) that needs more attention.
In a world too focused on image. If we look well, we must be?
The type2s who have told me of their DKA have never expected it. Surprise even to most around them as they're of the impression type2 is a watered down person of type1. Nope.
I had a 19 yesterday on my meter which really shocked me. I'd forgot my lunch insulin as at someone else's house and filled with company and distractions. When I realised I tested so more than 19 2hrs after lunch. How much more would it have been without some basal left from breakfast in that inj mix? Any metformin in my liver supporting too.
DKA is renound for the cause after longterm highs. I'm not sure if it can caused by titrated highs over years. The acid which causes the damage in DKA is it dispersed by insulin or does it accumulate?
I know it accumulates eventually to cause DKA but what stops it from accumulating? Good bgs and ???
I assume hospital treat with intravenous insulin?
Now how come most type2s produce defective insulin for their bodies needs don't DKA all the time? I'm guessing because of circulating insulin. Insulin in blood but not in cells. DKA is a blood disorder not a cell one!