DKA

laurenk978

After being released from hospital two days ago after having dka. I've no appetite. My sleeping pattern is all over the place and my heart is racing non stop! Is this normal? And when should these symptoms stop?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @laurenk978 Sorry to hear you had DKA. I've never had it so I can't give personal experience, but if it was me I'd give 111 a call just to make sure all's well. Were you given any information on discharge eg a number to call or information about recovery?

How long were you in hospital? And how are your blood sugars now?

laurenk978

Blood sugars r fine and no ketones. No they jst said if I went bk to feeling the same then to go bk up. I was in for 3 days on drips and a insulin sliding scale. A friend has reassured me these symptoms will pass but I'm feeling really nauseas and could b sick at any min.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Blood sugars r fine and no ketones. No they jst said if I went bk to feeling the same then to go bk up. I was in for 3 days on drips and a insulin sliding scale. A friend has reassured me these symptoms will pass but I'm feeling really nauseas and could b sick at any min.

The disruption DKA causes to your body is massive. I'd definitely speak to a doctor if you're feeling that bad.

Don't worry about calling them. Call now while it's quieter, and get some advice :)

Blackers183

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Commercial television
After being released from hospital two days ago after having dka. I've no appetite. My sleeping pattern is all over the place and my heart is racing non stop! Is this normal? And when should these symptoms stop?

It takes a while just to recover from being in hospital so give yourself time. I was in hospital for a month after my one and only DKA episode and it took me months before I recovered. Keep track (diary?) of how you feel so that you can discuss progress with your medical support team. You will also be able to see if you are improving.

col101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The disruption DKA causes to your body is massive. I'd definitely speak to a doctor if you're feeling that bad.

Don't worry about calling them. Call now while it's quieter, and get some advice :)
Totally agree. Please don't hesitate to seek help or advice from medical services if you're worried. DKA is a big trauma for the body so please be gentle with yourself.

Reactions: kimrooney89

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Are your bloods in normal targets now? This could be the key thing to yoyr still feeling ill?-also you need to check your temperature and make sure it is normal.

Depends upon the reason for your DKA too. Was it over eating, not doing correct meds or due to
Illness? All this can affect your recovery?

DKA depending more upon cause can affect you for an extended time but it depends upon a lot of otger factors that haven't been mentioned.

Reactions: kimrooney89

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I had DKA once, was in and out of hospital for two weeks then it took me a further month to get over it. Mine was due to to not taking insulin, my dsn said if I dont eat I dont need to inject. So one day I lost my appetite I didnt inject any insulin, short or long acting for several days so I ended up in hospital with dka which i'd never ever heard of then googled it when I come home!