Type 2 Do Metformin Brands differ ???

mfactor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have searched the web and found some info on there but its mostly in the states

Here is whats been happening

I have been having some problems with Blood sugar spikes due to anxiety/stress but generally have been okish, 6-7 between meals and 7-9 after meals with a few slight blips...

Anyhow I lost my job about a month or so ago and basically had a bit of a "Diabetic Burnout" , eating rubbish , drinking too much, missing the odd dose.:( and even stopped lifting weights 3 x week, which I have done all my life........

So about 10 days ago pulled my socks up and got back on track, diet, exercise etc. and started testing again :woot: and had a bit of a shock , results of 15, 18 , and even 20 with the lowest being 13...........

So I thought it would it be the month of rubbish that caused it, and I would slowly return back to normal but it does not seem to be happening, but I also changed brands of metformin about a fortnight ago and read on a US site that this can make a difference, as some is cheap stuff from India that has been recalled for quality problems , has anyone heard of this ...................

Or must I just be patient....

On Metformin x4 a day, the new brand is Teva

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Do a Google search for "Teva metformin" and you will find a lot of results where this brand is criticized.
Usually Metformin lowers fasting blood glucose levels by an average of 25% (17 to 37%), postprandial blood glucose up to 44.5%, and the A1c by an average of 1.5% (0.8 to 3.1%).
I thought the numbers were much lower and will depend on your degree of insulin resistance

Reactions: 2 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
If there is any chance you can go back to the previous brand, at least just for a while, it might help you sort out what's been happening.

Some of the medications I take for other conditions, I pay a little extra out of pocket for, because the generic versions were less effective. As a rule of thumb, I think generics usually work well enough for most people, (some of my other meds are generic) but some people find generics significantly less effective than branded meds, which can have different types and levels of non-active ingredients.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Out of interest, I just checked and the generic brand of metformin I take is either Apotex or Metchek. In NZ there is a government agency that usually only funds the cheapest generics that they find to be effective and safe. I think it's a safe bet to assume the analysts think these brands are ok.

mfactor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
UPDATE::

Not happy , got back on my "Normal" brand of Metformin , no change to start with then after about 10 days it started to drop down to 12/13 then dropped a point every day so down now to single figures again.................

So anyone out there struggling with their bloods check they are not using TEVA.......

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When I first started Metformin it made my bs rise quite a lot ..mid 20's cannot remember the brand ! Then I got them in a brown tub with just the chemist info on ..and my sugars started to drop. Don't need them at all now as my sugars have returned to a normal level