Do you have to wear shoes all the time?

ian1968

I took part in a diabetes group last week and one of the things we were told is that diabetics should wear something on their feet at all times, even indoors.

Do you do this? I love being barefoot indoors. I can understand wearing footwear outside - although being barefoot in the garden was always a joy too - but inside too seems a bit excessive.

What do you do?

BioHaZarD

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
ian1968 said:
I took part in a diabetes group last week and one of the things we were told is that diabetics should wear something on their feet at all times, even indoors.

Do you do this? I love being barefoot indoors. I can understand wearing footwear outside - although being barefoot in the garden was always a joy too - but inside too seems a bit excessive.

What do you do?

If I am at home, or anyone else's home, or in my garden (I know what's around) I don't wear anything on my feet, socks or barefoot always. I currently don't have any issues with my feet, if I did I would still probably wear nothing at home but would outside.

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Shoes are recommended as some diabetics have neuropathy in their feet and cannot feel if they have stepped on something sharp. This could go unoticed and turn into something nasty and they end up having their foot amputated.

People with diabetes also can have slower healing times.

If you have full feeling in your feet and don't have sharp items lying around at home, then it is probably ok to go round barefoot.

I wear flip flops indoors, protection for the bottom of my feet but freedom for the rest of my foot.

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
I check my feet daily and moisturise and make sure the shoes I buy fit well. But I love going barefoot indoors and, whist my feet are ok, I will continue to do so. Have been going barefoot for as king as I can remember. :thumbup:

Grazer

The reason they say this is because if you have high blood sugars, poorly controlled, your body is less able to fix wounds. Not wearing shoes leaves you more prone to damage to your feet. Also, if you have neuropathy, you may not NOTICE that damage to your feet. This is why we're advised to check our feet regularly.
I don't have neuropathy, my BGs are well controlled, so I choose not to wear shoes in certain circumstances.

Grazer

Sorry to repeat what others had just said - typed it before I saw the other posts and sent it anyway!

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
It's a sensible precaution for all diabetics. My boss at work is a T2 who missed a small cut on one of his toes, and is now the proud owner of a beautiful, and very expensive, bionic leg.

Practically speaking, if you are well controlled, and don't have any peripheral neuropathy, and inspect your feet regulalry, then you might get away with it, but it is one of those risks that probably isn't worth taking.

(Having said that, I love wearing "barefoot running shoes" that offer minimal protection and I'm often blistering and cutting my toes. I do carefully inspect my feet though).

Scardoc

I think the advice is excessive but necessary. I'm sure there would be a major fallout if a diabetic cut their foot, suffered a nasty infection and then said "well no one told me to wear something on my feet at all times"!

If your fighting fit and have good control then you shouldn't be at any more risk than anyone else. I hardly ever wear anything on my feet in the house and will happily wander into the garden or around the side of the house to the bins/shed barefoot. On holiday I will always be barefoot on sand (even the rough stuff) or in the sea where there are lurking dangers such as rocks and stingy things.

There's not a week goes by when I don't have a nice blister, cut or something on my feet through running. Everything heals quickly though so I don't worry about it! I have my check up on Tuesday and am due a foot check, they won't be pretty for the doc but I'm sure there will be no problems.

That said, and picking up on Denise's comment above, it can take longer to heal for diabetics so I guess I would only add that we take more care of where we are walking.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
I don't have neuropathy and my BGs are well controlled but I must admit that when I have stubbed my toe/foot against an unseen object or chair leg etc I have noticed that it does seem to take a long time to heal, at present I have a small graze on my ankle bone that has been some time healing, just a small itchy scap at present, and in fact I cant remember what caused it as it was no doubt something so trivial that I did not bother with it. And I have been told I have a strong pulse in both my feet.

I do try to wear shoes or slippers most of the time but do sometimes go barefoot indoors.

One other thing that some may not realise, some years ago I bought a pair of Crocks when they were fashionable and was wearing them in the garden and stood on a bramble and a small thorn went straight threw the rubber sole and into my foot, so maybe be careful of the type of footwear you wear for different purposes too.

Scardoc

Sid Bonkers said:
One other thing that some may not realise, some years ago I bought a pair of Crocks when they were fashionable and was wearing them in the garden and stood on a bramble and a small thorn went straight threw the rubber sole and into my foot, so maybe be careful of the type of footwear you wear for different purposes too.

Bonkers by name......... Crocs were never ever ever, ever ever ever and never ever ever, ever ever ever will be fashionable!!!

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Like them or hate them they were fashionable once, and actually very comfortable too :D

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

Shoes and socks could well be another topic.

I bet that everyone on this forum are wearing incorrect size shoes, ( left foot being a different size to the right foot ).
Only made to measure shoes that are fit for the purpose will perform properly.

Who wears nylon socks,

Do feet rot when trapped by sweat etc; inside the shoe. :?:

Basically feet should clean and bear, whenever possible, ensure your floors are free of dirt and obstacles. check feet every day.

Off coarse it will be recommended to protect our feet with socks etc;
(how come our hands are more healthy than our feet).

Our feet are susceptible to problems, then all the more reason keep them healthy. (fresh Air)

Roy.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
Scardoc said:
Bonkers by name......... Crocs were never ever ever, ever ever ever and never ever ever, ever ever ever will be fashionable!!!

Yeah Scardoc, I think that all diabetics should be forced by law to clad their feet like this:
socks-and-sandals1.jpg

Now that's a look that will never go out of fashion.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
ian1968 said:

That's correct, especially so you have neuropathy. I just wear slippers indoors although when resting I like the fresh air at my feet, agree with Roy that it's good (if affordable) to get shoes/boots made to measure.

Mileana

I walk barefoot. I have this stupid skin condition that can cause quite severe blistering and when it is hot, I walk barefoot if I can get away with it. It's a pro and con. I have never cut my foot apart from once when I dropped a drinking glass next to them. I don't blister when barefoot unless I walk miles and miles. However, regardless the amount and type of shoes and socks I've tried, you can be sure I will blister when wearing them.

Inside, I am always barefoot.

I will walk on gravel roads and pavements and in the forest and on grass and anywhere really with nothing on my feet. I mentioned this to the foot care thingy that I can't recall the name of, and all she said was perhaps not on gravel, and avoid the tarmac as it gets too hot.

I have absolutely no signs of neuropathy - was told I could feel more in my feet than most people. I get loads of blisters, and they get quite deep, but luckily, they never get infected and cover over with new skin quickly even if they do take months to disappear, the wound stage is pretty short.

-M

Scardoc

borofergie said:
Scardoc said:

Yeah Scardoc, I think that all diabetics should be forced by law to clad their feet like this:
socks-and-sandals1.jpg

Now that's a look that will never go out of fashion.

Eurgh!! Socks and sandals are perhaps ever so slightly worse than Crocs........ both, of course, become even more reprehensible the younger the person wearing them is. You get to a certain age where it just doesn't matter and you can wear everything that the funny little magazine stapled inside the big magazine you bought advertising all sorts of wierd and wonderful, yet brilliant, gadgets, aids and items of clothing, has to offer. However, in your 30's or 40's..... there's a line folks.

minitata

My dad was told that he should always wear white socks so that if he stood on anything it would show up - the blood I suppose.

My feet are so, so skinny (I've lost over a full shoe size in the weight loss - who wants to lose weight on their feet :lol: )and I got a bedsore on my ankle one night that took nearly 12 months to heal.

AMBrennan

(how come our hands are more healthy than our feet).
Because most us walk using our feet. Plus, you'll be paying more attention to what you're doing with your hands then your feet. Are you sure you'd notice a drawing pin lying on the floor? How about a drawing pin lying on your keyboard?
240px-Brass_thumbtack.jpg

Elc1112

I go barefoot all the time - home, garden, office, wherever I can get away with it lol. I've got no issues with my feet and have very good sensation in both. My DSN always tells me that diabetics are not allowed to wear heels. I don't wear them a lot, but if I have a meeting, for example, or am off in a night out, the heels most definitely come out! I already have to inject four times a day, test regularly, watch what I eat etc, I'm not being told what to wear as well! I look after my feet and, as long as they are problem free, I am going to enjoy padding around bare foot! Rant over :)