Status
Not open for further replies.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am not on benefits but I do know that no way could they afford the food that you eat or to shop in M & S.

OK I'll go through this for mince..the one I referenced...

Lidl, Tesco, £2.98 per kilo
M&S £3.00 per kilo
Morrisons £3.50 per kilo
Sainsbury £3.80
Aldi £3.98 per kilo
Waitrose £5.50 per kilo
Those are the cheapest beef mince prices for those stores. There may be cheaper out there but I haven't found it yet when I do I'll come back and let you know.. so M&S is 2p a kilo more than Lidl and Tesco and significantly cheaper than the others...

I'm sorry I'm not on benefits but I do love a bargain...

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
I think this is all just a matter of perception. All I’ve seen is low carb proponents being enthusiastic of their choices, not forcing those choices on anyone else :)

Some say yes, some say no. Not much point asking questions if you want to censor the answers.
Yes you are correct to a certain point, but replies like "Oh I don't understand why people would want that food" or suggesting that their food is not boring because they cook it all different ways, or "My food is never boring as I do this or that" In this context it suggests that the person who said that they now and then got bored with their food, either does not know how to cook or does not put the effort in to make their low carb food more variable.

M

Member496333

This is the impression I was getting..Unless low carb, other foods are the Devil foods lol

Personally I think you’re mistaking other people’s choices as an attack on your own. You are free to eat what you wish, as is everyone else :)

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
OK I'll go through this for mince..the one I referenced...

Lidl, Tesco, £2.98 per kilo
M&S £3.00 per kilo
Morrisons £3.50 per kilo
Sainsbury £3.80
Aldi £3.98 per kilo
Waitrose £5.50 per kilo
Those are the cheapest beef mince prices for those stores. There may be cheaper out there but I haven't found it yet when I do I'll come back and let you know.. so M&S is 2p a kilo more than Lidl and Tesco and significantly cheaper than the others...

I'm sorry I'm not on benefits but I do love a bargain...
Boswells Farms 500 gram Minced beef 1.49 ; )

Reactions: SaskiaKC

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
a kilo of mince does 2 meals for the three of us, it has to, I couldnt buy it otherwise.

I think some people have access to more products at their supermarkets than those in small towns, as dont have those chaper meals here, the nearst big supermarket is 14 miles each way, so the fuel would negate the saving.

Reactions: connie104

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Personally I think you’re mistaking other people’s choices as an attack on your own. You are free to eat what you wish, as is everyone else :)
No, I am deffo not doing that at all. I was referring to the OP.. saying that she would like to eat some of the foods that she used to eat. I was talking about some peoples reactions.So you have got me totally wrong there

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
cost is a red herring, as it were

the point of this thread is enjoyment and taste and texture.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
If BGs can be managed by diet alone? Is it worth filling out a DIAB1 form for a baked spud?

Perhaps it is if the person really wants a baked potato now and then but has found bg meter says no.

I've no views on the matter either way, was just curious about the biology.

There's been a few posts recently by T2s going on insulin. I'm fairly clued up about insulin in a T1 context, but have realised how little I know about it in a T2 context, so tend not to comment on those threads unless it's something common to both (although even then, the differences are such that it's difficult to identify what the commonalities are).

I was thinking about it more in terms of quality of life. When I get my 6 month checkup, I'm asked to fill in a questionnaire asking about how I'm feeling about various aspects of life. Those details get recorded nationally as Quality of Life scores for a general guide as to whether we are happy puppies or not. I was basically just wondering whether if a T2 is getting narked with lc, quality of life scores might improve if they can chuck in the occasional baked spud with a quick shot to gee them up a bit

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
So why don't you? no-one is forcing you to low carb..It's a choice we all make.. oops there's that choice word again...
If your blood sugars can handle it then do it..
Nope, I do not look at it as a choice but going down a rocky road. Wanting is one thing but having it is another

Reactions: lucylocket61
M

Member496333

No, I am deffo not doing that at all. I was referring to the OP.. saying that she would like to eat some of the foods that she used to eat. I was talking about some peoples reactions.So you have got me totally wrong there

Yes. Sorry. Probably a poor choice of quote to use on my part. What I meant is that overall the impression I’m getting is you’re not particularly happy that low carb proponents are enthusiastic about their dietary choices, whilst at the same time extolling the virtues of your own and moaning that others are doing the same. It’s all a matter of perception - no one is telling you what you can and can’t eat. Only you can make that choice :)

I think some people are just a little too sensitive, or easily misinterpret what is being said. Again though this is just my personal opinion and I mean no disrespect.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
whether if a T2 is getting narked with lc, quality of life scores might improve if they can chuck in the occasional baked spud with a quick shot to gee them up a bit
They won't need the quick shot.. 1 baked spud every 6 months will have a minimal impact.. one every 6 days probably wouldn't be ideal..

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We often hear members saying how much they enjoy their low carb diet but does that go for everyone who does low carb higher fat. Am I the only one who has found the low carb diet so boring that is has taken the pleasure out of food for me when once I could eat just what I wanted and enjoy it. I was only an occasional sweet tooth person and not big on starchy carbs never like rice or pasta and not lot of bread but I did love jacket potatoes and would have one for lunch at least four or five times a week even when I was out to lunch also I loved mash and roasties and I had all kinds of fruit
I know many here love their meat and make a lot of casseroles and stews and just eat mostly leafy greens and are enjoying that but I am not a big meat eater I do not like red meat so eat mostly chicken and Quorn. Is it just me who finds it so hard going without the things I loved to eat

It is definitely not just you. :) I find the low-carb diet very boring. I bought a Crock-Pot with the idea of trying sauces and seasonings to make it less boring, and all I learned was that I am not a sauce-and-seasonings person. I like my food cooked straight, by itself, and many foods have a natural flavor that I like. But I get bored with them. I get tired of green beans. I even get tired of broccoli, and spinach, both of which I love.

Unfortunately I have never gotten tired of bread, or other high-carb foods, or sweets. I think that is because of the carbs and sugars. I crave them, whereas I never crave any certain meat, or vegetable. It seems to be that the foods that are most healthful for my body are not the ones my brain craves.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ladies and gents, I apologise in advance to anyone garnering any positivity from this thread, but the bickering an circular arguments are unnecessary.

For those bored of their way of eating, I do hope you find a way to reinvigorate your enthusiasm.

Status
Not open for further replies.