Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
?
It is a choice available to everyone... the problem is the lack of knowledge of that choice which is why some of us try to educate others..
What do you propose feeding the population of China or India on, if not carbohydrates?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What do you propose feeding the population of China or India on, if not carbohydrates?
I don't need to propose anything you were making claims about "choice"although I would hazard a guess at green leafy veg and meat of course.. once the growing of stodge is out of the fields we can get some true regenerative farming going on.. and what a great place the world would be..we could also of course exercise restraint in the human population breeding too... another "choice" ...

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
if the choice is malnutrition or starvation or eat the limited foods on offer, then no, its not a choice. 12% (at least) of the worlds population are either staving or malnourished. And thats only the recorded ones, on the edge. If we remove carbs as the main foods, that number will leap.

on top of that, one million children died under the age of 5 from malnourished. That is not including those who die from disease and lack of clean water.

In the UK, if the choice is hunger or eat the food from the food bank (often high carb foods) for weeks on end, then no, it not real choice.

Poverty in the UK is high. At least 7% of the people in the UK are in poverty, which affects their food choice. They rely on school meals, which affects their childrens health, but they have no choice financially.

Real facts, real truths.

Reactions: Safi and briped
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
if the choice is malnutrition or starvation or eat the limited foods on offer, then no, its not a choice. 12% (at least) of the worlds population are either staving or malnourished. And thats only the recorded ones, on the edge. If we remove carbs as the main foods, that number will leap.

on top of that, one million children died under the age of 5 from malnourished. That is not including those who die from disease and lack of clean water.

In the UK, if the choice is hunger or eat the food from the food bank (often high carb foods) for weeks on end, then no, it not real choice.

Poverty in the UK is high. At least 7% of the people in the UK are in poverty, which affects their food choice. They rely on school meals, which affects their childrens health, but they have no choice financially.

Real facts, real truths.

Well said :)

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't need to propose anything you were making claims about "choice"although I would hazard a guess at green leafy veg and meat of course.. once the growing of stodge is out of the fields we can get some true regenerative farming going on.. and what a great place the world would be..we could also of course exercise restraint in the human population breeding too... another "choice" ...
Sorry but thats too simple - what about the various eastern / asian religions / cultures that prohibit the eating of some / all meats?
Far be it for me to say so, but do you think they should choose to follow a low carb vegan diet?

M

Member496333

Not really sure why this has to be a debate about what’s best. Some people prefer low carb, some people don’t. A question was asked and people answered it. Not necessary to challenge the answers that were asked for. I haven’t seen a low carb eater assert that everyone else has to do the same? If anything the challenge seems to be running in the opposite direction.

Just my view. I’m not looking for an argument :)

Reactions: maglil55

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry but thats too simple - what about the various eastern / asian religions / cultures that prohibit the eating of some / all meats?
Far be it for me to say so, but do you think they should choose to follow a low carb vegan diet?

Its up to them.. hence my point about it's not up to me to propose what they should eat depending on whatever outdated beliefs they may have.. my point was that everyone has "choice" which was @Mr_Pot claimed "they" didn't have... patently incorrectly.
I can't solve the world population and food crisis and anyway aren't we derailing rather..?

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You proposed that people always have free choice, various people are responding by pointing out that that is a flawed argument.
If theres any derailment it started with the original premis

Reactions: Robinredbreast
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Its up to them.. hence my point about it's not up to me to propose what they should eat depending on whatever outdated beliefs they may have.. my point was that everyone has "choice" which was @Mr_Pot claimed "they" didn't have... patently incorrectly.
I can't solve the world population and food crisis and anyway aren't we derailing rather..?

No, not derailing, it's a fact of life that many other opinions, views and stories will get mentioned, post after post. It's human nature and it shows just how varied and diverse our outlooks are :)

Reactions: Robbity
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I think @Pinkorchid started a very interesting thread, with good intentions too. I can really only comment on being coeliac and though type 1, I do miss certain foods.

We don't want to end up as the 'Stepford' Forum :nailbiting:;)

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Are you claiming that they don't?
The choice to ignore religious and cultural imperatives, particularly in the context of an often absolute lack of the financial resources to spend on less available / more expensive dietary options is certainly not what I would call a free choice.
On a side note I think many would find your reference in an earlier post in this thread to religious and cultural factors as “outdated beliefs” deeply insulting
And for information, no I am not a follower of any religion, be it faith or diet based

Last edited:

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Non-insulin dependent type 2 diabetics who can’t eat everything on offer and counter it with an injection? ;)

:D
That's sort of the reason I don't eat everything on offer. To be able to bolus for it just seems unnecessary when I can exercise some control

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is that relevant to @Pinkorchid first question?
No, but I don't think you can be expected to ignore statements which you feel are obviously incorrect just because they are not the subject of the thread.

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
We often hear members saying how much they enjoy their low carb diet but does that go for everyone who does low carb higher fat. Am I the only one who has found the low carb diet so boring that is has taken the pleasure out of food for me when once I could eat just what I wanted and enjoy it. I was only an occasional sweet tooth person and not big on starchy carbs never like rice or pasta and not lot of bread but I did love jacket potatoes and would have one for lunch at least four or five times a week even when I was out to lunch also I loved mash and roasties and I had all kinds of fruit
I know many here love their meat and make a lot of casseroles and stews and just eat mostly leafy greens and are enjoying that but I am not a big meat eater I do not like red meat so eat mostly chicken and Quorn. Is it just me who finds it so hard going without the things I loved to eat
I learned how to cook low carb, I experimented with all the low carb foods and learnt how to cook them properly in the process, made pizza bases from cauliflower, melted dark choclate over lovely coconut balls, I found that the salads I had been eating my whole life wasnt really what salad could be like, I have eaten every possible variation of low carb.

Yes I am bored to tears! Its dire after too many years, I miss everything, I miss eating like “normal” people.

Status
Not open for further replies.