Do you still enjoy food

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Genuine question, not trying to be provocative here.

If we leave aside the psychological aspects of whether carbs are good or bad and all the related aspects of that, and look at it purely in terms of biology, if a T2 wants a baked potato or a slice of cheesecake every now and then, would occasional use of injected insulin just for those situations work, or does insulin resistance make it a non-starter?

M

Member496333

If we leave aside the psychological aspects of whether carbs are good or bad and all the related aspects of that, and look at it purely in terms of biology, if a T2 wants a baked potato or a slice of cheesecake every now and then, would occasional use of injected insulin just for those situations work, or does insulin resistance make it a non-starter?

Yes it would work, but generally speaking the last thing a non-insulin dependant T2 wants is more insulin. It will only make resistance worse and will also promote weight gain. That said I’m sure there are people who use it as you describe and get by just fine. Personally though it’s not something I would ever want to do.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
I understand what you are saying.
I might get some backchat for this, but hey here goes. So far I have got to page 3, and some people on here are coming across as a little sanctimonious or a little self-righteous. I can understand what the 2 people on here said regarding getting bored with their food. We are all different. It is almost like we are not allowed to say that we are bored with low carb, because then jumps in the people who want to Champion the food that they cook, and how wonderful it is, or "How can anybody get bored with low carb food?, thought process" There was a man on here who said that there were many foods that he did not like and also said that being on benefits, it is difficult to be able to afford certain foods and the electric. @bulkbiker, you kind of glossed over this, and went on to say what you cooked and how much it costs, and M&S were mentioned. I am not on benefits but I do know that no way could they afford the food that you eat or to shop in M & S. It was like you did not understand his circumstances. There was a time I got fed up with eggs, cheese etc. One night I was eating Belly Pork and the fat. I started to feel sick because I was getting fed up with meat and fat. If I could I would love to eat couscous with roasted peppers, spices and herbs (Not Cauliflower rice) but couscous. I eat veg galore. I use lots of spices and cook in many different ways. Fish, chicken, other meat. Would I like to be able to have pizza, yep to right I would, but I choose not to because of it affecting my BGL's Would I love a jacket potato? yes, I would. To say that certain foods are not proper foods, like rice or pasta when China have lived on these foods for centuries. Bodies that have been dug up from Bogs have even shown that these people did eat grains. While I find that low carb helps with high sugars or Diabetes, people who ate meat only back in the day of our ancestors did not live that long to be fair. 40 and most people died. They also had deficiencies etc. So while the food that people eat today is not that good for us, people who only ate meat died at an early age. Swings and roundabouts. I to have at times been bored..I got fed up with looking at recipes because of much-involved cheeses, we are more restricted, you can cook the food we eat in many different ways, but it still amounts to the same food. I am not saying that I do not enjoy my food, but sometimes I would like to have some rice or a naan bread with my curry, not coconut flour or almond nann bread

M

Member496333

I think this is all just a matter of perception. All I’ve seen is low carb proponents being enthusiastic of their choices, not forcing those choices on anyone else :)

Some say yes, some say no. Not much point asking questions if you want to censor the answers.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
If your idea of pasta is spaghetti hoops and the pizza comes from Domino's then I agree with you but the real thing can be excellent. I did indulge once or twice on a recent holiday in Italy, and it was the best thing I have had for ages.
View attachment 29787
I agree with you. I often wonder if some on here that say that they would not like some of the foods above are trying to convince themselves otherwise.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Yes it would work, but generally speaking the last thing a non-insulin dependant T2 wants is more insulin. It will only make resistance worse and will also promote weight gain. That said I’m sure there are people who use it as you describe and get by just fine. Personally though it’s not something I would ever want to do.

Ok, cheers. Might be a possible half way house for those wanting to occasionally step back into the Muggle world now and then!

Reactions: Member496333

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Most definitely still enjoy food.
Food type isn’t as much a problem as is quantity. It’s very easy to overdo those foods that really hit the spot.:)

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Pretty easy when you know you can loose a foot or your eyesight.. as a wise man once said "I prefer toes to french fries.." plus low carb food is regular food with all the stodge removed..what could be nicer?
Not all higher carb is stodge food though. You cannot demonise all higher carb food as stodge lol

Reactions: Robinredbreast

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Depends what their own insulin production and degree of insulin resistance are - far from all people with aT2 diagnosis have the combination of hyperinsuleamia and assosciated insulin resistanceis

Reactions: Scott-C

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok, cheers. Might be a possible half way house for those wanting to occasionally step back into the Muggle world now and then!
I like the idea and see the logic, but i cant see my DN letting me have insulin for that reason : (

I cant even get metformin off her.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
That was just examples of the food that most people do like pizza and pasta are two of the most eaten foods, children especially love pasta. Look in trollies in the supermarkets and most people will have one or both of them in it. They are not my choice I never liked them but for people who loved them and have given them up I am sure sometimes they wish they could eat them again after all we are only human
I agree completely with what you are saying. We are all human. If I said that when I see my husband eating a lovely Pizza from the Italian restaurant down the road, and I would not want the same, I would be deluding myself. You were only stating what you miss, not that you intend to eat those foods. With me sometimes it can be tricky at meal times, as I sometimes have to cook a different dinner for myself, or just sometimes I would like to eat something that is more convenient (Not eggs and bacon) Having a Chinse can be difficult because cannot have rice or noodles, and not very filling without those, so I usually do Bare Naked noodles in preparation. I have a way of cooking them so that the smell and taste of fish has gone lol

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I was a big fruit eater loved it all and giving that up was hard. I ate greek yogurt and berries for months after diabetes diagnosis until I was sick of them and I never touch them now
Well I would like a pan of stew and dumplings, or pilau rice lol

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sometimes I wonder if some people on this forum who are such enthusiastic converts to low carb, fasting, carnivorous diets etc are really trying to reassure themselves rather than convince anyone else.
This is the impression I was getting..Unless low carb, other foods are the Devil foods lol

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

If BGs can be managed by diet alone? Is it worth filling out a DIAB1 form for a baked spud? ;)

@Pinkorchid , why not experiment with your meter & find a happy moderate medium with the foods you miss..? :)

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I love my meals.
I enjoy the foods I get to make those meals with.
I am never bored with my meals.
I make meals from scratch, and I love my cooking.
I have been known to dance from the sheer pleasure of eating my LCHF meals.
If I have to say so myself so be it - my cooking skills are gourmet level , possibly even better.
My dressings are to die for. My sauces could start a break out of peace between Russia and Ukraine
My roasts could give Mrs May a clue, on how to deal with Brexit (sue me I used the B word)
I could eat a different meal every day till I die at age 107, fifty years from now, and never have to repeat an entrée.
Eating is an adventure. I cook recipes from any and every culture on earth.
Eating is so much pleasure. I look forward to each and every meal. day in, day out.
I do all those things, in fact, if I do say so myself I am a pretty good cook and have a good imagination where food is concerned, but I would like to have a bowl of rice with herbs and meat in, or couscous. It is not about how good a cook you are but what other variety of foods one cannot eat. No matter how you jazz your foods up the basic foundation is the same

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would like to have a bowl of rice with herbs and meat in, or couscous.
So why don't you? no-one is forcing you to low carb..It's a choice we all make.. oops there's that choice word again...
If your blood sugars can handle it then do it..

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I agree completely with what you are saying. We are all human. If I said that when I see my husband eating a lovely Pizza from the Italian restaurant down the road, and I would not want the same, I would be deluding myself. You were only stating what you miss, not that you intend to eat those foods. With me sometimes it can be tricky at meal times, as I sometimes have to cook a different dinner for myself, or just sometimes I would like to eat something that is more convenient (Not eggs and bacon) Having a Chinse can be difficult because cannot have rice or noodles, and not very filling without those, so I usually do Bare Naked noodles in preparation. I have a way of cooking them so that the smell and taste of fish has gone lol

I went out to dinner last night, we both had curry with rice, I only ate 1/2 of the rice. My friend then had treacle tart with custard, it looked lovely and he enjoyed it. He suggested cheesecake to me and forgot I can't eat it because the base would be biscuit, wheat, he just saw 'cheese' but I would love to have a piece of cheesecake or treacle tart ................:hungry:

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I like the idea and see the logic, but i cant see my DN letting me have insulin for that reason : (

I cant even get metformin off her.

Don't worry, Lucy - when Brexit screws up insulin supplies next March, I'm going to be flying to Bangkok to buy some black market stuff from a dodgy guy in a shady back alley, so I'll sub you a pen or two if you want to experiment!

Status
Not open for further replies.