ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hoping to use our extra income for weekly fresh food shopping. I'll be able to buy whole meats rather than husk filled junk food. Fresh veg that can be transported home as I'm unable to carry them.
One more change to secure this. Fingers crossed.
So close I can taste my real food groceries again.
We have been really really struggling. Oats and bread in only at times. Toiletries were my biggest out-going but hoping imminent food shop for 4 will be instead.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'ts the same the whole world over,
It's a dirty rotten shame,
It's the rich what get the pleasure,
It's the poor what gets the blame.
"Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons".

Woody Allen

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
Strange you say that, the leaders of most African countries look fat and prosperous.

I bet they are siphoning off most of the support money into their secret bank accounts in the Caymans...
Lol Not all

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I understand London is the money laundering capital of the World.

No country is immune to corruption. Whether it be tax evasion, money laundering or the misuse of foreign aid. This at state level and at personal level. Greed is part of human nature to some degree.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No country is immune to corruption. Whether it be tax evasion, money laundering or the misuse of foreign aid. This at state level and at personal level. Greed is part of human nature to some degree.
I think I would go further. Most organisations of any size ARE corrupt. Their first instincts are always to cover up any wrongdoing - in the Police, The Church, charity organizations, the NHS and Government. Better to silence the Whistleblower than to address any problem.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I think I would go further. Most organisations of any size ARE corrupt. Their first instincts are always to cover up any wrongdoing - in the Police, The Church, charity organizations, the NHS and Government. Better to silence the Whistleblower than to address any problem.

Yup. Some countries/organisations/individuals are just better at hiding it than others.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hoping to use our extra income for weekly fresh food shopping. I'll be able to buy whole meats rather than husk filled junk food. Fresh veg that can be transported home as I'm unable to carry them.
We have been really really struggling. Oats and bread in only at times. Toiletries were my biggest out-going but hoping imminent food shop for 4 will be instead.

Years ago I had to re-use teabags, not a nice time, but compared to other countries, the poor, war zone's, corruption, I guess we have it easier than some. It's looking for bargains and good deals and I can normally spot a good buy.

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have some hugs. Can a food bank help in any way? You are in the same position as many of our clients.

When people say "at least its not as bad as in some places" I want to get them down to the food bank where we have had parents who havent eaten for three days as the larder is empty, there is no money, and what food they have goes to the kids. Oh, and they cant afford the heating, so the kids get all the bedclothes and the parents sleep in many layers of clothing, all huddles up on a couple of mattresses, the whole family together, to try to keep warm. And they get a letter saying they have to wait another 3 or 4 weeks for the payments to start, or get sorted out - at the same time as they are dealing with all sorts of emotional issues too. Tissues are in great use, as are cups of tea and coffee while they wait for us to process their requirements.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Have some hugs. Can a food bank help in any way? You are in the same position as many of our clients.

When people say "at least its not as bad as in some places" I want to get them down to the food bank where we have had parents who havent eaten for three days as the larder is empty, there is no money, and what food they have goes to the kids. Oh, and they cant afford the heating, so the kids get all the bedclothes and the parents sleep in many layers of clothing, all huddles up on a couple of mattresses, the whole family together, to try to keep warm. And they get a letter saying they have to wait another 3 or 4 weeks for the payments to start, or get sorted out - at the same time as they are dealing with all sorts of emotional issues too. Tissues are in great use, as are cups of tea and coffee while they wait for us to process their requirements.
It annoys me that this country is acting like a 3rd world country. If they act too long it will become normal.
Blinkers on some heads, as usual.

Little one has just been granted help. So I've stocked the cupboards but freezer needs food too so it will be next with next payment. Kid's money pays the rent so hoping this can change. CB buys clothes and shoes... and their toiletries/haircuts.
We are halfway there.
It has been hell. A lovely lady helped us recently which helped with food and school costs. She was an angel and help we were not expecting but went along way. I'm forever grateful to people like you. Kind and compassionate. Thank you. :)

D

Deleted Account

A few years ago, I listened to a radio program (good ole radio 4) about body shapes and poverty over the years.
If we go back far enough, fat was associated with having lots of money ... enough money to eat what you want and sit around whilst the thinner, poor people who could not afford to eat as much ran around (burning off any extra calories they may have been lucky enough to eat) serving the "ruling classes".

This has now turned around in many countries. Work has become less physical and cheap food has become more processed. So, poor people are more likely to be fatter. At the same time, people with more money are eating less processed food and have time for the gym, etc. so are thinner.

Sure, there are so huge generalisations there and I have summarised a 30 minute program into a few sentences but, hopefully, you get the point.

I realise the relationship between weight a diabetes is not a simple one but I am sure there is something around cheaper more processed food, less physical activity, increased weight, poverty and diabetes.

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
I think that in every country there are good and bad people

In my city, your wife will not be able to give birth in a government hospital without a bribe of up to $ 80

This was not before everything was free

Especially as we are waiting for a new baby next month ?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

In my city, your wife will not be able to give birth in a government hospital without a bribe of up to $ 80

Best wishes for a safe, speedy delivery.

Reactions: HICHAM_T2

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies

Here they were proposing a nhs designated amount for the parents to chose how to spend their basic fund on the arrival. Anything else, we have to pay for ourselves.
Many are pressured into home births by closing maternity units.
I don't recommend any diabetic to give birth without medical supervision.
Whichever country we live in.
None diabetics after none complicated last birth/births are happy with a midwife at home for future births. I envy such natural birth opportunities. So natural for mother and baby.

Reactions: dbr10 and HICHAM_T2

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
Here they were proposing a nhs designated amount for the parents to chose how to spend their basic fund on the arrival. Anything else, we have to pay for ourselves.
Many are pressured into home births by closing maternity units.
I don't recommend any diabetic to give birth without medical supervision.
Whichever country we live in.
None diabetics after none complicated last birth/births are happy with a midwife at home for future births. I envy such natural birth opportunities. So natural for mother and baby.
I hear a lot about home births here but the state does not want this kind of births

Last edited: