Last edited:

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
I think that poverty is the link of the horse to all problems, not just diabetes

For this diabetes with poverty like gasoline with fire

The situation worsens as the country does not respect its citizens

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Let's wish for this to be turned around with world wide web knowledge being passed on to those in authority too. They need to have the bravery to make changes which would put arrogant 1st and 2nd world leaders to shame.
Wouldn't that to a shocker if 3rd world countries solve their diabetes problems before millions need saving....before England/Europe or America? All with diet and not pharmaceutical rip off costs.

I wish all countries healthy competition in solving the threatening type2 epidemic. Maybe more disciplined countries may be able to entrench low carb eating quicker?

Reactions: HICHAM_T2

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
Millions spend for wars and kill humans and do not spend some dollars to revive human beings that's disgusting
I think it is the duty of any official in the world to take the initiative to care for the poor internationally

It is our right to live in peace on the same planet ?

Reactions: Prem51

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
During 1963, around this time of the year, a big freeze hit the whole of the U.K.
The country was ill prepared for constant freezing temperatures, the schools were closed, there was a big disruption of services and a lot of work places closed due to not getting supplies and heating and plumbing problems.
There was widespread consequences for a lot of poor areas especially around the manufacturing sector. Britain closed because nothing reliable got through.
It was just as worse as the war, for a lot of working families.
My family, my father had a low paid job because of his army experiences in Burma, my mother was working in a sweet factory on poor wages. Me and my three brothers was of school age.
Both parents never got paid for just over two months as the big freeze bit, no work, no money, couldn't get money from anywhere.
We lived in a rented house which had luckily missed being bombed by the Luftwaffe. It was draughty, one fireplace but no coke deliveries. We had to go out and get free stuff like coke (coal) from depots, free food parcels, and always the fear that it would be so cold, hypothermia would happen, that is how cold it was at night in the bedroom.
We slept a few nights all of us in one room because it was about 20 degrees below.
We never had much but offal, fresh rotting vegetables, a chicken was a luxury, we just couldn't buy food. We went without. It wasn't a choice, it was the circumstances we found ourselves in. A lot of families suffered.
If you have never experienced being so cold, and hungry and there is no answer and you see your own family literally begging for food, clothing, coke (fuel) and everyone around you is in the same desperate situation. Just trying to survive.

Through my young life, I never knew that we were that poor or in poverty, I never thought that life could be so hard, because we lived in a good working class area, there were those who lived in actual squalor, not a penny, week to week, I counted myself lucky that my family could be anything but that worse.

There has so much done in this country to be proud of, that my generation decreased the levels of actual poverty and socially and economically our country became a place to be envied for its attraction to have a decent life.

However, I am in despair how in the last decade, things have happened that should be deplored and stopped. How can anyone, especially working people and disabled be asking for for food parcels to live?
It's a disgrace!

The OPs question should not have a definitive answer, because it is to huge to say which is worse.

Regardless of gender, background, income, ethnicity, climate, choices, taste and probably more reasons, a person will get some sort of endocrine condition, wether diabetes or hormonal problems, especially women.

Being poor is just another obstacle in the way, a hurdle to get over and if you are like me, the fight to be healthy, starts with self education, you may not get the schooling or have the intelligence, but finding out why something is happening should be enough of a push for discovery that even diagnosis, is just another small step in how to get your body healthy.

Even though we are all men and women, we are all different to how we can be healthier, diversity and lifestyle is paramount, not poverty.

It is well documented, that being in poverty or on a restrictive diet, or being rationed, like Britain in the last world war, you can live healthy on a little amount of good food.
Malnutrition or starvation is different.

I cannot stress how awful, being below the breadline is!
It is truly not something I would wish on anyone.
Going to bed hungry, wondering when you will eat again, seeing your parents apologise for not providing, no winter clothing, no hope, no sense of future, desperation, and of course, anxiety and depression.

So sorry for your loss @hichamgsm.

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
During 1963, around this time of the year, a big freeze hit the whole of the U.K.
The country was ill prepared for constant freezing temperatures, the schools were closed, there was a big disruption of services and a lot of work places closed due to not getting supplies and heating and plumbing problems.
There was widespread consequences for a lot of poor areas especially around the manufacturing sector. Britain closed because nothing reliable got through.
It was just as worse as the war, for a lot of working families.
My family, my father had a low paid job because of his army experiences in Burma, my mother was working in a sweet factory on poor wages. Me and my three brothers was of school age.
Both parents never got paid for just over two months as the big freeze bit, no work, no money, couldn't get money from anywhere.
We lived in a rented house which had luckily missed being bombed by the Luftwaffe. It was draughty, one fireplace but no coke deliveries. We had to go out and get free stuff like coke (coal) from depots, free food parcels, and always the fear that it would be so cold, hypothermia would happen, that is how cold it was at night in the bedroom.
We slept a few nights all of us in one room because it was about 20 degrees below.
We never had much but offal, fresh rotting vegetables, a chicken was a luxury, we just couldn't buy food. We went without. It wasn't a choice, it was the circumstances we found ourselves in. A lot of families suffered.
If you have never experienced being so cold, and hungry and there is no answer and you see your own family literally begging for food, clothing, coke (fuel) and everyone around you is in the same desperate situation. Just trying to survive.

Through my young life, I never knew that we were that poor or in poverty, I never thought that life could be so hard, because we lived in a good working class area, there were those who lived in actual squalor, not a penny, week to week, I counted myself lucky that my family could be anything but that worse.

There has so much done in this country to be proud of, that my generation decreased the levels of actual poverty and socially and economically our country became a place to be envied for its attraction to have a decent life.

However, I am in despair how in the last decade, things have happened that should be deplored and stopped. How can anyone, especially working people and disabled be asking for for food parcels to live?
It's a disgrace!

The OPs question should not have a definitive answer, because it is to huge to say which is worse.

Regardless of gender, background, income, ethnicity, climate, choices, taste and probably more reasons, a person will get some sort of endocrine condition, wether diabetes or hormonal problems, especially women.

Being poor is just another obstacle in the way, a hurdle to get over and if you are like me, the fight to be healthy, starts with self education, you may not get the schooling or have the intelligence, but finding out why something is happening should be enough of a push for discovery that even diagnosis, is just another small step in how to get your body healthy.

Even though we are all men and women, we are all different to how we can be healthier, diversity and lifestyle is paramount, not poverty.

It is well documented, that being in poverty or on a restrictive diet, or being rationed, like Britain in the last world war, you can live healthy on a little amount of good food.
Malnutrition or starvation is different.

I cannot stress how awful, being below the breadline is!
It is truly not something I would wish on anyone.
Going to bed hungry, wondering when you will eat again, seeing your parents apologise for not providing, no winter clothing, no hope, no sense of future, desperation, and of course, anxiety and depression.

So sorry for your loss @hichamgsm.
thank you

Actually, I'm not talking about myself, I'm fine and I can manage my destiny

It was just a question but it was important
I work in programming in the field of mobile phones and this is enough for me

Olufisayo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Going out. After closing from work, I relax at home.
If you are having ground rice or semolina every day then you must try to limit this as much as you can afford to by having more of the soup/stew that it goes with. I know that it can be really difficult but try to eat more vegetables (non starchy veg) to fill you up.

Thank you Guzzler for your understanding! You really know much about our diet. Soup and stew accompanying our dishes.

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
I know people who do not measure diabetes perhaps once a year

They can only find bread and white sugar

Do you imagine that these people can control diabetes

As the cold worsens things need to eat more carbs that means more glucose

Reactions: Prem51

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Top note added because this is getting complicated; I am not trying to stigmatise or offend anyone.:angelic:

Everything is about choice, and what restricts your choices.
I was brought up not to waste stuff, to make do and mend.
However my parents lived through two world wars and rationing so they were keenly aware of why you didn't waste anything.
I remember my mother showing me how to run a finger around the inside of an egg shell to make sure nothing was wasted, and telling me that egg white could double up as a glue if need be.
My Dad's old vests saw use as cloths and rags for years after he stopped wearing them.:)
This attitude has stuck a bit (well, I am a hoarder and also find it hard not to leave a clean plate).

So we shop at the reduced counter and stock up the freezer with offers. However we are lucky enough to have a choice, and could buy the expensive prepackaged stuff if we wanted. Our kids don't feel the same constraints. They are from the disposable generation and expect to throw stuff away when it is no longer wanted, and leave food if they don't fancy any more.

There is a sort of double whammy effect.
If you are poor but intelligent you learn all sorts of ways to make the most of what you have.
If you are rich but not so bright, then you may get yourself into health troubles or you may be O.K. but you are unlikely to starve
If you have money and are bright then you should on average have better outcomes (not always, of course).
If, however, you are poor and are not as bright and don't have a decent education then you can be trapped in a vicious circle where you can't afford good stuff, or more likely don't know what is good stuff that you can afford. Poverty leads to depression and bad choices which lead to depression and bad choices....Comfort food is what it says on the tin. Which only makes things worse. This is nothing new. Cheap alcohol (gin) used to be the comfort for the poor and starving over a century ago.

So in a rich society there should be nobody so poor that their health suffers. You can't make people eat healthily and exercise, but they should have the option to do so if they want. The UK isn't doing that well at this, and should be doing better.

In a poor society you are basically between a rock and a hard place.

In both societies the key thing (key enabler? or is that too much like business bullcr*p?) is education and the availability of medicines.

If people know what they need to eat to stay healthy (and we have a fine example of that from Nigeria) then at least they have a better chance than if they are just fed comfort carbohydrates.

The big thing that this has made me think about for the UK is how food banks can collect and distribute fresh vegetables. Assuming that the people in need have the facilities to prepare them. If you don't have a kitchen then fast food outlets may be one of the few available choices.

Depressed now.:(

Edit: https://www.trusselltrust.org/2015/04/24/eleven-foodbank-myths-you-must-not-fall-for/ for some information on food banks.

Reactions: Lamont D

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You have to have enough money to buy the stuff you dont waste. Its all very well talking about waste not, want not and the war, but you still need to have enough money and affordable access to fresh food to be frugal to start with.

Yep, I work at a food bank.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
PS Something to bear in mind: a food bank can only give out what they have on the shelves. If they have no tinned veg, milk, tinned fruit etc, then the clients have to go without.

Many food bank webpages have donation buttons where you can donate money so the volunteers and managers can go down the shops and stock up on what is needed.

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In this country the increase in Type 2 diabetes graph goes parallel to the obesity graph. Counties with poverty rates of >35% have obesity rates 145% higher than wealthy counties. African Americans twice as likely to get it, as are Hispanics, and American Indians (3 times as likely as Caucasians). All those are poverty prone ethnic groups too. Poor, fat, and diabetic.

brassyblonde900

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Reactions: HICHAM_T2

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How then do we explain the high rate of diabetes in Kuwait. Not just the high rate rather the extremely high rate of complications like amputations etc. Ditto Qatar
http://news.kuwaittimes.net/website/kuwait-suffers-high-diabetes-prevalence/
the high rate is because of being able to afford to eat too much high carb food. People are eating high carb food because they know no better, as in Kuwait, where a massive education programme is happening.

One side of this thread is about poverty stopping people being able to afford healthy low carb food sufficient for their nutritional needs, and able to afford test strips etc, as in the UK it can be very hard to get testing equipment on the NHS. Its about someones ability to afford to treat their condition through dietary means and avoid complications.

brassyblonde900

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am regarded as "rich" in this country. Before Obamacare I could not buy health insurance because of diabetes. I paid for my diabetic stuff myself with no problems. I probably saved $200k during the years with buying no health insurance. I was covered only for things over $20,000 (which I had in the bank earning interest). Now Obamacare will pay for poor people's health insurance: People at 133% of the poverty level (about $16k for a single person) get Medicaid. If you make $40k/yr you'll get a big subsidy on the Obamacare marketplace ($88k for family of 4). If you make a lot you're gonna pay a LOT more with Obamacare. My friend's insurance more than doubled ($10k/year, $8,000 deductible) for he and his wife after Obamacare started. If you have no health insurance you're screwed, prices are huge. Half the bankruptcies here are for medical bills. Obamacare has driven up the price of health insurance a ton if you don't get a subsidy (80% who buy in the marketplace get one). The health insurance industry made out like bandits with Obamacare. I hate health insurance companies.
I am curious what will people do if the current government repeals the affordable care act?