frustration

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey, everyone. I am a self-diagnosed prediabetic, my HB1AC levels were borderline the last time I had the test.

Basically, I went to my doctor and told him about my concerns. First of all, he said it's unlikely that I have diabetes because of my age, even pre-diabetes, but my last HB1AC test, I was borderline? I also asked him about a gluco-meter and he said that it was way too much and that I didn't need it, he even laughed. He half-heartedly assigned a new HB1AC test that I will be taking tomorrow, but should I take the doctor's word for it? I didn't go through 10 years of medical training but at the same time I am aware that they don't listen to teenagers let alone girls.

I've been incredibly anxious about this but with the way he acted, it seems that it is not that a big of a deal. Although I am on a diet right now, I have only lost a few pounds. I am very close to starving myself so I can shed the weight quickly because I seriously don't want diabetes.

But, as much as I am going to commit to the lifestyle I am a teenager. I have a birthday party today and we'll be eating high carb Chinese food and lots of ice cream. Tomorrow, the blood test will be at 4:00pm. Will my diet murder effect my HB1AC tests? Sorry if this is a dumb question.

Thanks!! <3

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Your HbA1c is an average of 3 months, so one little birthday-binge won't affect those results in any dramatic way. What were your numbers last time? So we have something more to go on?

Low carb doesn't mean you should starve yourself. So please don't. If your relationship with food gets too distorted you'd have an eating disorder on your hands, and no-one wants that to happen. I fast sometimes, but I also have days where I eat continuously.... But it's all low or no carb, so while stuffing my face, my bloodsugars don't get phased at all. And my weight doesn't mind either. ;)

Eat. Drink. Be merry. And let us know how your test(s) pan out.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No, the birthday food will not affect your Hba1c test. You say you had a test which was borderline but you have not given any numbers. The result of that test would be helpful.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, I think he has a legitimate concern that anyone letting themselves ‘obsess’ about food and weight may be setting themselves up for disordered eating and long term consequences/unhealthy changes in eating patterns.

He probably sees a lot of people with what he considers excessive health concerns and health anxiety arrive in his consulting room, and is trying to allay their concerns and prevent over controlling habits from developing.

Plus, the nhs does not authorise the distribution of glucometers to prediabetics. It isn’t considered necessary, and is considered a waste of public funds.

Having said that, being amused at my concerns and patting me on the head would never bring me round to anyone’s point of view. Would that work on anyone? I doubt it.

frustration

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My HB1AC was 5.6 to 5.7. The Prediabetic diagnosis in Canada is a 6.0 I believe. Last time I met him he said it's a matter of weeks before I develop prediabetes. Maybe he forgot that I was that close to borderline my last test...

I am maintaining a low carb (under 50 carbs a day) for most of the week, it's difficult, especially because I am south asian and everything we eat is eaten with rice or roti (wheat).

I honestly don't understand why he is suddenly not taking it seriously anymore. Often he would point out the fact that I am over-weight and other doctors would strain it too. Now that I am nervous about diabetes and want to see my progress, he's acting as if I should simply just lose a few pounds and not worry about the diabetes. He is a doctor, so I am to listen to him but it really isn't helping my anxiety.

Wow happy birthday to me, this is a terrible 16th birthday gift :(

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes there is a lot in the media about 'self inflicted' diabetes, but for most people that is just nonsense to blame their weight.
There is also no 'few weeks to diabetes'.
I assume that you are living and eating with your family - perhaps you could ask for help avoiding the high carb foods, as it can't be easy being a teenager and overweight. Don't worry about it too much though, as being over weight doesn't give you diabetes.
You could, perhaps not eat lots of ice cream - I make my own real ice cream to a family recipe, without loads of starch or sugar, as real icecream is basically eggs and cream - which a diabetic can eat and not have raised blood glucose - adapting recipes back to what they used to be can make a big difference to what can be eaten - even for a full blown diabetic. For someone barely on the edge, it could prevent even prediabetes being seen.

frustration

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes there is a lot in the media about 'self inflicted' diabetes, but for most people that is just nonsense to blame their weight.
There is also no 'few weeks to diabetes'.
I assume that you are living and eating with your family - perhaps you could ask for help avoiding the high carb foods, as it can't be easy being a teenager and overweight. Don't worry about it too much though, as being over weight doesn't give you diabetes.
You could, perhaps not eat lots of ice cream - I make my own real ice cream to a family recipe, without loads of starch or sugar, as real icecream is basically eggs and cream - which a diabetic can eat and not have raised blood glucose - adapting recipes back to what they used to be can make a big difference to what can be eaten - even for a full blown diabetic. For someone barely on the edge, it could prevent even prediabetes being seen.
What do you mean there is no few weeks to diabetes? He assumed that if I continue my lifestyle and food choices like I have done before, my HB1AC levels will be prediabetes levels. Many people say pre-diabetes is just a nicer way to see diabetes...

Last edited:

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I mean your doctor is not right when he tells you that in a few weeks you will have increased your Hba1c - if you reduce the carbs in your diet then Hba1c will not rise - it is not some inevitable process.

Reactions: frustration
M

Member496333

The problem with HbA1c is that it tells you nothing about your insulin. That is to say that it’s no indicator of how much insulin your pancreas is having to secrete in order to maintain a reasonable blood glucose concentration.

A more practical indicator would be if you are putting on weight without a change in diet and/or finding it very difficult to lose any. This would indicate hyperinsulinemia (too much insulin in the blood). Your HbA1c is, in my view, slightly on the elevated side form where I’d expect a metabolically healthy person to be, but it’s by no means bad.

A good strategy moving forward would be to try and heavily cut back on the carbohydrate and see if it affects your weight. If it does then keep it up and don’t worry any further :)

EDIT: I see that you’re already eating lower carbohydrate. This is a good thing and should be all you need to do. Be sure to add fat though in order to make up the energy deficit, otherwise you’ll just feel hungry and deprived.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am maintaining a low carb (under 50 carbs a day) for most of the week, it's difficult, especially because I am south asian and everything we eat is eaten with rice or roti (wheat).

Why not learn to cook some tasty low carb vegetable side dishes when you have time. Google low carb south east india food and you will be surprised.
Cauliflower or cabbage thoran are my favourite replacements sides this winter, definately cheaper than decent basmati in the UK.

This is sooo good.
http://maunikagowardhan.co.uk/cook-in-a-curry/keralan-cabbage-thoran/

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@frustration speaking as though I were your oldest aunt: .....can you get to a doctor who DOES take teen girls seriously? A female one would be very good. The last thing a young woman (happy birthday!!!) needs is “no
help with her concerns”. You want a woman who you know has (TMI) a body like yours, so she understands all of you. No male doctor can do that. Sorry, that’s one of my soap boxes...

Many of your questions have been well answered, so I want to tell you how I would have reacted: I would have slunk off, cried myself to sleep night after night... I think you are much more mature than I was! Being laughed at hurts alot!

Keep visiting here! chris