Doctors aren't always right

Hotpepper20000

Here in Canada GP actually are not that highly paid 7-10 years of school and they have to pay all their expenses, medical aids and rent. It is dictated by the government how much they can charge for each appointment. Working as a nanny for a doctor I was shocked how much less he was paid then my husband who is a engineer.
I agree that each person when faced with health challenges needs to be their own advocate. It is a challenge especially for those of a mind set that doctors should know it all.
I agree with @chalup that at the end of the day the responsibility lies with the patient.
We are lucky in these times that we have the internet to help us research and find like minded people.

Reactions: Prem51

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I think the problem is that GPs have recommended the NHS high-carb diet which will always fail so they don't expect the 'diet' to succeed and therefore go for Metformin which we all know has limited capability anyway.

Hotpepper20000

Hi. I think the problem is that GPs have recommended the NHS high-carb diet which will always fail so they don't expect the 'diet' to succeed and therefore go for Metformin which we all know has limited capability anyway.
I agree. But I know for myself doctors took one look at me because I was over weight and assumed it was because I was lazy and just sat around and ate junk.
Never once was it suggested that their might be a underlining problem.

Reactions: Freema and Prem51

Concordjan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not very good on computers!
When I am diagnosed with something, and I have a long list of issues, my first thought is to do some research. I want to know what is going on with my body and why. Doctors do not have the time and often they do not have the very in depth knowledge to sit with me for hours and explain how or why. A general practitioner is just that, general. An endocrinologist should have more knowledge but still does not have the time. After spending all day seeing patients, do they have time to keep up with all the latest research? Not just on diabetes but every condition they might see in a day. Probably not. They are people too and have lives outside the office. Yes you should be able to trust your doctor but that does not take responsibility off the patient.
Perhaps I just have a more trusting nature, but when 3 professionals ( GP, DN and dietitian) all tell you that your diet is fine So the answer is meds I do think most people would believe them. Also was this forum about in 2007 w hen I was diagnosed. I certainly didn't come across it.

Reactions: Freema and Prem51

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I was diagnosed in 2005 and I do not know whether this forum was out there or not at that time but the information certainly was. It took me 2 days on the internet to find and read the information about low carb and the studies that were being done. I was in school to become a residential care aide at the time and several of my major essays were done on this topic. One of my instructors was a type 1 diabetic and the registered nurse in charge of the diabetes education programs in my town aimed at type 2 diabetics. What she was teaching was the same old tired story about low fat and 55% carb diet that has been preached for decades. She read my essays and came to ask questions about the info. I gave her printouts of the studies and as a type 1 she went much lower carb and found her insulin to be much easier easier to control. The information is out there and has been for a long time. It is up to the individual person whether or not they seek it out and what they do with it.

Bryn-Jones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed by a Practice Nurse June 2015 and put straight on to Metformin 2 x 500g daily. I was first sort of warned about 4 years previous to this by a different practice nurse who just informed me that I 'might' get diabetes. I went to the GP myself for an 'MOT' because I was over 60 and the diagnosis was the result. Since June 2015 I have lost 2st 9lbs some by myself so I could get off metformin and when I began to struggle, Weightwatchers where I still attend as I have another 1st 7lb to move. I still have to take the metformin, and the EXPERT course I was supposed to go on has been cancelled twice. I was directed to this site by the nurse. This Forum is the best ever for advice. I am due to have my next check this month and I am hoping to have the metformin at least reduced. I agree with some of the comments regarding people who just take the pills and go away as I know people with type 2 who do nothing to help themselves only moan about ulcers etc. and I can't believe it. I check my blood daily and it ranges now between 4 and 9 depending on what I have eaten. I follow the low carb plan as it fits in with Weightwatchers very well. I have dropped 3 dress sizes and nearing 4. I have never had any symptons of diabetes and question to myself many times if the medical people are right and that I have been taking metformin for nothing. Other than that, the 'diagnosis' made me do something with myself.

Concordjan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I think if you are overweight then it is more obvious to look at diet. I have never been overweight in my life and always reasonably active, so more believable when told that my diabetes wasn't diet related. However since following lchf have reduced meds.

Angelofthemarches

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Horrible shoes
I was diagnosed type 2 10 weeks ago, hba1c of 63. Since then I have lost 17 lbs on a lchf plan and by monitoring my bs with an Abbott free style libre, have an average bs of 5.3. I seem to be losing weight fairly effortlessly. Have upped exercise. I refused metformin and the doctor said, I'll give you 3 months.
Today walked out of an NHS dieticians education talk where she handed out the stock NHS eat complex carbs and fruit and veg advice. She also said that type 2 diabetics testing their bs was a waste of time.

Concordjan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
It's terrible that they still haven't changed their advice over the years.

Angelofthemarches

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Horrible shoes
It's terrible that they still haven't changed their advice over the years.
It seems weird to me. I'm actually a qualified nurse though no longer practising and always thought you should follow the most recent research, but these guys seem to be ignoring it.

Concordjan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
It is unfair on us, the patients. I suppose I was indoctrinated with 'doctor knows best' but if they do they are certainly not passing the info on to us! Nobody in 9 years ever mentioned low carbs.

Angelofthemarches

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Horrible shoes
It is unfair on us, the patients. I suppose I was indoctrinated with 'doctor knows best' but if they do they are certainly not passing the info on to us! Nobody in 9 years ever mentioned low carbs.
I was just shocked at the way the go just pulled the prescription pad to her after she confirmed the diagnosis with, as you say, no mention of carbs or exercise..

spendercat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty. I am kind.
After seven years on LCHF I think I can say that the majority of diabetics who are diet controlled do fall off the wagon from time to time. Things happen, your heart breaks, whatever. When those numbers start to rocket up again the doctor thinks it's time to get the prescription pad out. He thinks that the condition has worsened (not that you have been eating chips and bread). Yet- we really know what did it and how to reverse it.
I think most people do not understand that the drugs available are not a magic bullet. They only make a marginal difference, and they need to be combined with a sensible diet to really work.

K

Kat100

Here in Canada GP actually are not that highly paid 7-10 years of school and they have to pay all their expenses, medical aids and rent. It is dictated by the government how much they can charge for each appointment. Working as a nanny for a doctor I was shocked how much less he was paid then my husband who is a engineer.
I agree that each person when faced with health challenges needs to be their own advocate. It is a challenge especially for those of a mind set that doctors should know it all.
I agree with @chalup that at the end of the day the responsibility lies with the patient.
We are lucky in these times that we have the internet to help us research and find like minded people.
However many GPS dont agree with self help via the knowledge of internet ..
A proper health diagnoses .. with assessment and treatment plan .. is the best way .
However the world of google does empower the mind with lots of information.. :)

Shady_Nook

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All diagnosed August with Hba1c of 92 and told to take metfomin, refused this and said I would try something different. He said ok come back in 3 months but you will definitely be on Metformin. 3 months later and 17 kilos lighter and low carb as suggested on here, Hba1c 35 and no action required, not even an appointment or a question how I did it. Come back in 6 months written on my notes. Thanks to all on here who have done the same and inspired me
Congrats well done the same happened to me, I'm just in the middle I'd the 8 week blood sugar diet, lost over a stone already! Haven't done any testing waiting until I go back to my GP and see the look on her face!! Why don't they tell you about diet before they offer meds? Keep it, let's spread the word, were the lucky ones!

Angelofthemarches

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Horrible shoes
We really are the lucky ones - I was only one out of 22 in my local NHS dieticians course who was going lchf and not currently needing meds in consequence. I'm not anti the meds, just want to do my bit as far as possible.