Doctors call to get me in

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
Cholesterol is an obsession with them think of the money they make out of your sucking statins. Personally l wont touch them and it is marked on my records. You need cholesterol to digest fat and the reason there is problems is because of the diet you eat.
On your normal high carb/starchy diet your cholesterol LDL the so called bad is small and sticky the LCHF diet they LDL turns big and fluffy and helps to clean your arteries.

Concentrate on your diet your carbs will change but take at least 6months to level up. Do some googling for cholesterol on a low carb high fat diet. lots out there. Also on the link you wer give explains the myth as well.

If you want statins fine but go away read up on them fully and then decide ignore your dr until you have decided what you want to do.

Reactions: 4 people

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
I followed nhs advice and still ate carbs then 2 years ago was told my only option was to go onto insulin. I really didnt want that, I found this forum and ive now reduced my meds to the bare minimum. However I have had to give up bread, pasta, rice and potatos. It takes a while to get your head round but now I dont miss them.

its a choice meds with their side effects or cut the carbs.

Also I eat more cheese butter and cream and my cholesterol has gone down.

Reactions: 7 people

andy40

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't want to go back on Stantins to be honest and my last doctor only 2 months so i had no reason to go back on them,
but when i moved and changed doctors they did a blood test and told me to go back on them they showed me to test tubes with red floating things in the one was full the other not many and said mine was the full one.

I will stop the bread and spuds and sweet stuff and start eating what's on the list but i just cant believe you can eat all that fatty food and its good for you.

PS i have to go back in a month for another blood test if its gone up and i have not taken the tablets wont they go off on one with me.

Reactions: 2 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

Andy, they cant force you to take statins if you don't want to. It's your body and you are the one with the most interest in your health, not them. If you are worried about their reaction you might say that you would prefer some time to try to improve your cholesterol through diet first before takingmedication.

From my experience it seems they are pushing statins on everyone of a certain age, not just those who would specifically benefit from them. True story...

Doc: I want to start you on statins.
Me: What's my cholesterol like?
Doc: Don't know, haven't tested it yet.
Me: Erm, no thanks.

Yep, fatty food is a good option. Your carby regime so far has landed you where you are now so it's time for a change. You don't have to go overboard with fat, just choose not to dismiss it from your diet. For example, buy regular cheese and yogurt as they put sugar in the low fat versions. Eat butter instead of weird margerine stuff. Have a look around this site and you will get the idea.

andy40

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Andy, they cant force you to take statins if you don't want to. It's your body and you are the one with the most interest in your health, not them. If you are worried about their reaction you might say that you would prefer some time to try to improve your cholesterol through diet first before takingmedication.

From my experience it seems they are pushing statins on everyone of a certain age, not just those who would specifically benefit from them. True story...

Doc: I want to start you on statins.
Me: What's my cholesterol like?
Doc: Don't know, haven't tested it yet.
Me: Erm, no thanks.

Yep, fatty food is a good option. Your carby regime so far has landed you where you are now so it's time for a change. You don't have to go overboard with fat, just choose not to dismiss it from your diet. For example, buy regular cheese and yogurt as they put sugar in the low fat versions. Eat butter instead of weird margerine stuff. Have a look around this site and you will get the idea.

Hi i was on Statins 12 months ago and come off them when i read everything about them, i do eat full fat butter cheese don't drink beer or fizzy pop and thought i was eating healthy until the doctors told me about all this, It will be hard to not eat bread because i use to eat it with everything.

Also a few months ago i cut my sugar down to one in my tea for some reason not sure why, so will now stop having any at all and see if it helps.

Reactions: 3 people

annelise

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unfriendly and bigotted persons; i.e. persons who do not have an open or enquiring mind - but all within reason - persons may have a reason to appear as such - we will never know their backgrounds or where they come from ...
Hi i was on Statins 12 months ago and come off them when i read everything about them, i do eat full fat butter cheese don't drink beer or fizzy pop and thought i was eating healthy until the doctors told me about all this, It will be hard to not eat bread because i use to eat it with everything.

Also a few months ago i cut my sugar down to one in my tea for some reason not sure why, so will now stop having any at all and see if it helps.

Andy, you might wish to look into artificial sugar replacements. I know that many do not advocate this - but to me, better than real sugar.

And - my pet aversion: statins! Tried three brands - got side effects from them all. I have sworn that I will only take them if force-fed in hospital - and then I hope to have a barge pole around and the wit to use it!

annelise

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
One of the reasons your blood sugar may have gone up is because of statins, they can give a false reading. Statins can give you diabetes, but they don't say that in the blurb.
Eat right as per what the others are saying and you may well stave off this horrid disease.

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
And they get paid to put you on statins.
As to argue first dr who tried to put me on them...fair to say we had a huge argument while my dearest who was with me tried not to laugh at us snarling at each other

Ruth B

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would also advise getting a meter and testing, the sooner the better.

I ignored my diabetes for far too long, partly because I had high cholesterol and the advise I received was more aimed at cutting fats, unfortunately most low fat options have high sugar content, so not advisable for us diabetics. When you are told to cut down on fats and carbs there doesn't seem a lot left.

Having come here I have taken a good look at what I eat and by making a few changes I have managed to cut my carbs to about half what they used to be, no where near what the low carbers are managing but far better than it was. I haven't managed to cut out bread, potatoes, pasta etc, but using the meter I am learning how much I can manage at each meal with out spiking my sugars too much.

andy40

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi more questions sorry. When i went to the doctors in june i was 83kg use to be 85kg for years, just checked again i am now 80kg and i have not changed anything do you loose weight with blood sugar readings are to 6.5 that what it was in june going to have it checked again on the 17th of this month.

I have also not changed anything and hungry all the time

Last edited by a moderator:

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
If you have made a serious cut back on the amount of carbs you are eating, you probably will lose some weight. This isn't just about less calories, it's about your body producing less insulin, which is the fat building hormone. If you are hungry all the time and are losing weight, which you don't want to lose, you need to increase your fat intake - it won't take much, you don't need to eat blocks of lard for breakfast!
However, if you have not cut down the carbs, it could be that your blood sugars are going up and down in an out of control way and your body interprets the downs (which are often not real downs, just down for you) as hunger. Before controlling his blood sugars, by going low-carb, my husband used to get hungry to the point of anger and fight to have bread and cheese, minutes before dinner. Now he doesn't even snack.
Sally

andy40

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
If you have made a serious cut back on the amount of carbs you are eating, you probably will lose some weight. This isn't just about less calories, it's about your body producing less insulin, which is the fat building hormone. If you are hungry all the time and are losing weight, which you don't want to lose, you need to increase your fat intake - it won't take much, you don't need to eat blocks of lard for breakfast!
However, if you have not cut down the carbs, it could be that your blood sugars are going up and down in an out of control way and your body interprets the downs (which are often not real downs, just down for you) as hunger. Before controlling his blood sugars, by going low-carb, my husband used to get hungry to the point of anger and fight to have bread and cheese, minutes before dinner. Now he doesn't even snack.
Sally

Hi thanks for the reply i have not cut back on any food, only thing i have done is but my sugar down i know have about 10 tea spoons less a day

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
Are you talking about sugar in drinks Andy40? if so it is carbohydrates (carbs) in food that counts as much if not more as they are invisible.

andy40

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry yes sugar in drinks i was told to cut them down.

Also some mornings i have a bad head and feel like my whole body is shaking as if i am hyper.

Humblebee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Andy40 I see that you first posted back in June and yet here we are the 5 September and from your last post it appears that you have not actually taken on board any of the advice the wonderful people on this forum have given you.

Please, for the sake of your health, take on board the advice given. I was diagnosed on 24 March this year with 20.3mmol/L on 2nd April my HbA1c was 113 mmol/mol or 17.3 mmol/L, on 20 May it was 81 mmol/mol or 12.6 mmol/L and on 8 August it was 44 mmol/mol or 7.3 mmol/L normal - well not truly normal but a heck of a lot better than the original. All because I followed the advice given on this forum by those who have been down the road. I am diabetic, you can prevent it - I wish I could have. So please, these guys and gals really do know what they are talking about. I am not going to say it has been easy, but it has certainly been worth the effort. I wish you well and hope your results are good.

andy40

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Andy40 I see that you first posted back in June and yet here we are the 5 September and from your last post it appears that you have not actually taken on board any of the advice the wonderful people on this forum have given you.

Please, for the sake of your health, take on board the advice given. I was diagnosed on 24 March this year with 20.3mmol/L on 2nd April my HbA1c was 113 mmol/mol or 17.3 mmol/L, on 20 May it was 81 mmol/mol or 12.6 mmol/L and on 8 August it was 44 mmol/mol or 7.3 mmol/L normal - well not truly normal but a heck of a lot better than the original. All because I followed the advice given on this forum by those who have been down the road. I am diabetic, you can prevent it - I wish I could have. So please, these guys and gals really do know what they are talking about. I am not going to say it has been easy, but it has certainly been worth the effort. I wish you well and hope your results are good.

Hi yes i know i have not changed much except less sugar that's about all i have done. I will try harder to eat less carbs and get more exercise but its hard when i work 18 plus hours everyday to get any.

semiphonic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ignorant people, diabetes!
It really isn't that hard to reduce your carb intake, no matter how many hours you work. I'm struggling to work out whether you're a troll or whether you're just someone who doesn't listen to advice.
You may as well put the sugar back into your drinks because you haven't listened to any advice that anyone's given you since June.
You have high blood glucose levels, you know that, change it or carry on with it, it doesn't really affect any of us here, it's your life. Crack on with what you're doing buddy, see what happens.......

andy40

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
You hit the nail on the head i don't listen to advice very good.

semiphonic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ignorant people, diabetes!
So do something about it, if you're not diabetic now you will be very very soon. We all want you to succeed it kind of makes us feel good about ourselves

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.