Doctors call to get me in

andy40

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi just wanted to some advice i went to the doctors yesterday for blood checks because i was new,

and today they called me to get in when i asked why they said its about my bloods results and my HBAIC was 42 does this mean i have Diabetes coming ?

Any information would be great.

smartlady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
For people without diabetes, HbA1c is usually between 20-41 mmol/mol (4-5.9%)

.Just taken this off main page A reading of 42 would just tip you into diabetic range or possibly pre~diabetic? Whatever the doctor says it's great it's picked up so early & with a few life style changes you could soon be in non diabetic range. Good luck at the doctors.

Smartie xx

Reactions: 4 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Let us know mate! It's best knowing, then you can start the fight back!

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
just into the prediabetic numbers,you will get the good diet and exercise chat. take notice and you have a good chance of not getting diabetes.
!/3 will go on to diabetes

Reactions: 4 people

andy40

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the replies i have noticed my eyes getting worse also had mild thrush a few times in the last year and feel lethargic.

I will update the thread once i have been back tomorrow.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Thanks for the replies i have noticed my eyes getting worse also had mild thrush a few times in the last year and feel lethargic.

I will update the thread once i have been back tomorrow.

Good luck and take care. With best wishes

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
just into the prediabetic numbers,you will get the good diet and exercise chat. take notice and you have a good chance of not getting diabetes.
!/3 will go on to diabetes

Jack - you didn't warn about the old fashioned doctors advice to eat starchy foods and low fat!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Diagnosed prediabetic Easter 2014. Just left to get on with it, no guidance or help from GP. Every day I'm learning something new.

Reactions: 2 people

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Andy. This is grey territory and my experience of the docs at diagnosis was awful and no help at all. I was told to eat low fat and go away.

Since reading up on it all, I'm convinced carbs are not the way forward. Since going low carb my BG is stable to non diabetic levels. If I eat so called healthy carbs, my BG rockets.

So just be careful if what advice you follow. I can't thank the guys on here enough for their support

Diagnosed prediabetic Easter 2014. Just left to get on with it, no guidance or help from GP. Every day I'm learning something new.

Reactions: 6 people

andy40

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Andy. This is grey territory and my experience of the docs at diagnosis was awful and no help at all. I was told to eat low fat and go away.

Since reading up on it all, I'm convinced carbs are not the way forward. Since going low carb my BG is stable to non diabetic levels. If I eat so called healthy carbs, my BG rockets.

So just be careful if what advice you follow. I can't thank the guys on here enough for their support

Hi thanks for the advice so what would be the best way to stop this.

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The best thing to do is get a blood monitor and test before eating, then an hour after and finally two hours after whilst keeping a good diary. It's very enlightening.

Homehealthuk.com do cheap ones with cheap testing strips. Loads of us have them despite being advised by docs we didn't need to test.

Testing is really the only way to know what food does to you. Had I not tested, if be chomping on muesli and oatcakes without realising they were slowly making me worse.

Have a look in the newly diagnosed bit - there's some good info there from Daisy.

It's all a bit of a shock to the system with the lack of info given by the nhs. Best advice is to take some time to look around on here and make a decision once you feel you have enough info.

X

andy40

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi just a quick update, i went back the nurse told me i don't have Diabetes but in the waiting room so almost got it,
took all my details weight and so on but never really give me much advice at all.

But they did tell me about my cholesterol they said there is 2 parts and my bad one was high and to start on Statins again.

But what i don't understand is if i don't have Diabetes why do i get thrush 10 times a year and feel so worn out after eating an heavy meal, i thought they would of been related to Diabetes but it cant be.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

It sounds to me like your health is hanging on a shaky hook and you have been given a prime opportunity to take action now. If you can get your blood glucose levels down and stable now, your thrush symptoms and after meal tiredness will improve. These are known symptoms of diabetes. All the best.

andy40

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
It sounds to me like your health is hanging on a shaky hook and you have been given a prime opportunity to take action now. If you can get your blood glucose levels down and stable now, your thrush symptoms and after meal tiredness will improve. These are known symptoms of diabetes. All the best.

Thanks do you know if their is a list of the things i can eat that will help please.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What I did was to cut grain, grain product, potato and sugary stuff. You won't need to go that far, but you will need to carb count. And perhaps cut sugary stuff and processed grain (bread pasta etc) will be enough

A good idea is to get a sd codefree meter and strips off of amazon uk or similar

Last edited by a moderator:

andy40

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
What I did was to cut grain, grain product, potato and sugary stuff. You won't need to go that far, but you will need to carb count. And perhaps cut sugary stuff and processed grain (bread pasta etc) will be enough

A good idea is to get a ad codefree meter and strips off of amazon uk or similar

I eat bread with everything and love pasta / and any kind of cooked potato.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
:(Life's tough, suck it up. Carb count and reduce the amount of carb you eat

Reactions: 5 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

Thanks do you know if their is a list of the things i can eat that will help please.
There is a list of foods on this link

http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

If you stop bread, spuds, pasta and other starchy/sugary food now, your thrush will improve. Get a meter as Jack suggest and test to see how much of them, if any, you can tolerate. You have been given a great opportunity to avoid a full diagnosis so the sooner you can get started the better.

andy40

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
There is a list of foods on this link

http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

If you stop bread, spuds, pasta and other starchy/sugary food now, your thrush will improve. Get a meter as Jack suggest and test to see how much of them, if any, you can tolerate. You have been given a great opportunity to avoid a full diagnosis so the sooner you can get started the better.

Hi thanks for the link i real did not think spuds where that bad to be honest, on the link you sent it says to eat full fat foods and butter i know it might help me not getting Diabetes but wont that make my cholesterol worse ?

Eat all you like
  • Meat: Any type, including beef, pork, game meat, chicken, etc. Feel free to eat the fat on the meat as well as the skin on the chicken. If possible try to choose organic or grass fed meat.
  • Fish and Shellfish: All kinds: Fatty fish such as salmon, mackerel or herring are great. Avoid breading.
  • Eggs: All kinds: Boiled, fried, omelettes, etc. Preferably choose organic eggs.
  • Natural Fat, High-Fat Sauces: Using butter and cream when you cook can make your food taste better and make you feel more satiated. Try a Béarnaise or Hollandaise sauce, check the ingredients or make it yourself. Coconut oil and olive oil are also good options.
  • Vegetables that Grow Above Ground: All kinds of cabbage, such as cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage and Brussels sprouts. Asparagus, zucchini, eggplant, olives, spinach, mushrooms, cucumber, lettuce, avocado, onions, peppers, tomatoes etc.
  • Dairy products: Always select full-fat options like real butter, cream (40% fat), sour cream, Greek/Turkish yogurt and high-fat cheeses. Be careful with regular milk and skim milk as they contain a lot of milk sugar. Avoid flavored, sugary and low-fat products.
  • Nuts: Good to eat instead of candy in front of the television (preferably in moderation).
  • Berries: Okay in moderation, if you are not a super strict or sensitive. Good with whipped cream.

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I eat bread with everything and love pasta / and any kind of cooked potato.

You sound like my friend who was recently diagnosed regarding carbs. It's your choice but from what I've now researched and evidence on here, carbs are clearly bad for us. The way I see it is very black and white now. We don't need to slowly kill ourselves with carbs but a lot of people seem to carry on regardless. If you swapped things around you'd soon not miss so many carbs. I never thought I'd give them up but here I am and loving it (most of the time ;))