doctors results

debi lee

Hi all i posted earlier that the doc called me to say my fasting was 20.1 i have now stared a strict diet blood still in the 16 even tho iv had no sugar and low carbs,Today he called to say my overall bs was 10.1 and that he thinks i should go on insulin but i really dont want to down that route,

Im on 4 metformin a day 500 and 2 glilazide i was hoping he would give me a chance to diet is there any other tablets i can try that are better then those above

kind regrads debi.xx

What sort of strict diet are you following? Get yourself a carb counting book and try avoiding bread, potatoes, pasta, rice, cereals etc. Low carbing will really help to reduce your blood glucose numbers - sorry can't advise on medication

allybee6

Hi debbie do
why the resistance to insulin? I was on the same meds as you and not controlling the BS. I switched to insulin and my control is much better. I can eat more and balance it with the insulin. You are missing the point with your meds. The goal is to have better control. That is what will extend your life. Live long and prosper should be your motto. Not whining about what pills you want to take or what ones you are not going to take. The Docs are the experts so listen to the advice and act on it. If you want to manage your own regime you will save the NHS a fortune by cutting short your life.

Allybee6

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
Hi Debi :)

You are probably right that it is good to avoid the meds as long as poss but you will need to know what is pushing up your BG levels and the only way to find that out is by testing before eating and two hours afterwards. Many of us have found it necessary to cut out the starchy carbs like bread, potatoes, rice and pasta etc.

If you buy a Collins gem Carb Counter (£3.99) or similar book it will help you to work out the best foods to use. I have cut out all the starchy carbs and get all mine from fruit and veggies; I eat meat, fish, eggs and cheese and fruit and veg and salad bits as well as nuts.

Incidentally I trawled through your posts and discovered that although your profile says diagnosed 1 year you have been diagnosed 16 years. :? Please do change it as it helps us when you ask for help.

debi lee

To allyb6 think your well out of order saying im whineing on here i have bipolar and get very deppressed im already on 40 tabs a day so the thoght of injecting really gets me down

If there are better tabs on the market then better to try them fist.Think you should think before you comment on here

debi

debi lee

Thank you very much synonym i have ben eating jacket pots but will cut them out.I think insulin is a last result.As for allybee6 saying i would save the nhs money if i came face to face i would def save the nhs money :lol:

allybee6

Hi

Comments from Moderator 3.
This post was reported by other members and after a review by the Mod Team it was considered offensive and has been deleted in it's entirety.

Mod 3.

Allybee6

C

catherinecherub

Allybee6,You obviously do not have much knowledge about Bi Polar and how it affects day to day living for the sufferer.

Debbi has come to the forum to get help with managing her diabetes and I for one applaud her for that. She is trying her best and in the process is asking questions. Nothing like a bit of negativity to knock her confidence.

Synonym has given the best advice as to eating to your meter and this is the only way forward. It won't happen overnight and we will offer any help needed. Take it day by day and follow the advice. If your levels are still high when you make all the changes then insulin may be the answer but it is early days yet.

Take care,
Catherine.

A

Anonymous

Will all members please refrain from making offensive comments to other members. This is considered a personal attack and is contrary to forum rules and policy.

Any breach of this will result in the offending post being deleted, the poster warned/suspended or permanently banned.

There will be no discussion on this matter. It has been dealt with.

Mod 3.

debi lee

Thank you for the nice replys i must say i went to bed last night feeling very low my hubbi said just ignore it and think of all the nice comments i have had on here,
im at the docs tomorrow so will let you know how i get on.

hugs to everyone debi.xx

chrissieworne

Hi Debi lee
Diabetes is a scary thing to deal with, so is Bi-Polar disorder, it must be hard. Sometimes its just nice to get some support on here, I know it has helped me.

Take care.
Chrissie :)

debi lee

Thank you crisse it really dose help when people are nice to you and try to help it makes feel i have support which i can tell you i really need at times,

hugs and best wishes debi,x

debi lee

Hi there to everyone well i have been on a diet for a week now and lost 7lb so im very happy and hope it continues,bs are still up but hope with losing weight they will start to fall

hugs to all debi x

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Well done Debi. Juist stick with your plan and things will all get better. :D

Ken

jopar

Hi debs

You'll doing well on the weight front well done..

As to your question, in theory excess weight can increase insulin residence so reduce weight should reduce residence... But sometimes even with weight lose T2's may require verious amounts and types of oral medication to maintain there blood glucose levels which nothing to feel ashamed about what so ever, if you need it then you need it... And I think I can safely say most don't like the idea of having to take tablets, but when needs must and all that..

As to the insulin side...

I can appreciate the dislike of going down the insulin route, brings in several other factors into the control equation such as avoiding hypo's etc.. But if you have to travel this route it isn't as bad as it sounds (mainly just a pain in the butt) the advantage you will have if they started you on this regime, is being a T2 it may only need to be an intrim control method, one that enables you to lower you BG to safer level and maintain control, while you are in the process of losing your weight to a level where oral medication can then be reintroduced or relied on to maintain control..

But the main thing is that you've done well on the weight lose, hopefully you've seen some improvement on your BG's, even a little is a good thing, don't forget little steps makes big strides

debi lee

Hi jopar

Thanks for the reply i have been on insulin before with my 3 pregnancys i just hated the hypos as i used to use it as an excuse to eat choclate :oops: I didnt know you could go on insulin for a little while then come back off when your bs was down,i thoght once your on it your on it for life so will have a word with the doc tomorrow

hugs debi .x

cocacola

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
celery, not eating chocolate
Has your GP considered other types of BG lower drugs besides insulin? I know a lot of people have success with Byetta and I have recently started on Sitagliptin and lower carbs and been successful with lowering my BG. My levels aren't as high as yours though.
Good luck with your appointment.

debi lee

hi there i am very pleased to have lost half a stone but you know what its like you want to lose a stone a week :lol: but as you all said tiny steps at a time which has really helped me stay in control.
As for for the other drug cant remember now what its called think its something like bytta i cant have that because i have gallstones (god you must all be thinking what hasnt she got :lol: .When i am the docs tomorrow i will ask for a chance to see if the diet works and try a different tab,

I had been eating jacket potatoes which i thought was ok but told not to eat them so tonight i took my bs and it was 10.1 had a small steak and just veg tested my bs and it was 8.5 :D .Wierd thing is my bs this morning was 12.2 i had two small slices of weight watchers brown bread and it went to 18.5 :( ,So tomorrow i going to try kippers weird i know but hey anything is worth a go.

I think what i was getting wrong is when i was looking at the carb content i was looking at only the sugar content but now looking at the whole total i cant belive how much carbs are simple things like rivita and cornflakes.

Just another thing soory to keep asking but i just read a thread on here that it can be risky to go on low carbs and you can get ketones so im now a bit confused???

love and hugs to all debi.xx

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
Hi debi

Sounds like you are doing really, really well! :D

The low carb scenario is quite a thing to get your head round so I just eat to my meter and cut down the carbs as they suit me and my BG levels and recommend you do the same :) . It can be something else to get worried about if you let it so I wouldn't bother if I were you! 8)

Keep your food diary and note the blood results by the foods you ate and you will soon see what is best to cut down or out or even avoid completely. Keep doing what you're doing as it is obviously working! 8) :D

Did you get a carb counter book as you will find that helps a lot?