Type 2 Doctors

Teatime

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Has anybody else had trouble getting past receptionist want let me book a appointment to get my bloods taken then says there’s no appointment to see my nurse says my bloods don’t need doing till September but there running high won’t book me in

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If it was me, Id keep a detailed log of my sugars for a week or so and then send the results to the GP / nurse with a written request for a medical opininion on whether or not a repeat hba1c is indicated and, if not, why I would also flag up the difficulty in getting input.

Last edited:

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Has anybody else had trouble getting past receptionist want let me book a appointment to get my bloods taken then says there’s no appointment to see my nurse says my bloods don’t need doing till September but there running high won’t book me in
What treatment are you on?

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When was your last HbA1c? My DN told me they won't redo the test within 3 months.

I know my DN's name. To get past the receptionist I request a telephone appointment with her. When asked why, I say it is in regards to my Diabetes management.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Are you low carb. Can you tell us what you ate yesterday, maybe we can spot something.

D

Deleted Account

All go surgeries have a general manager who is responsible for the receptionists.
If you don’t think you are getting the service you expect, write to the gerenal manager and tell them.

I did this once when they kept getting my prescription wrong and they made a procedural change to stop this.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I'm lucky as my surgery is always very helpful. You need to decide/know when your next appointment is? Normally you agree with the GP/DN when your next review is due. This can be 3, 6 or 12 months depending on your current HBA1c. You need to book your DN appointment based on that and then get your bloods done shortly before. If you are worried about your high BS and the next appointment is not due shortly then insist on an early appointment or telephone call. If the receptionist blocks you then ask to see the Practice Manager.

Teatime

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was due for one as I’ve been put on new tablets got a lot of stress at moment and the heat doesn’t help should be having a steroid injection but won’t give it me for a frozen shoulder do to do away sat not abroad though

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was due for one as I’ve been put on new tablets got a lot of stress at moment and the heat doesn’t help should be having a steroid injection but won’t give it me for a frozen shoulder do to do away sat not abroad though

Does your surgery do telephone appointments? I find I can usually get a telephone consultation a good deal sooner than face-to-face, and I'm quite happy with that, provided I don't need the Doc to examine me in any way. No point having a telephone appointment for a nasty little rash the Doc has never seen. :)

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It might be an idea to postpone the steroid injection, as they raise bg. Also, according to Dr Bernstein, frozen shoulder is one of the complications resulting from high bg and can be reversed by keeping bgs down. I believe the injections are rather painful and they certainly very often don't work. If it were me, I'd much rather see if I could cure my shoulder by low carb diet before having the injection.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
My surgery is a nightmare to get and appt with the DN,
I have been in that situation, the way I get round it, is to ask for a telephone consultation with a gp as the nurses where I am Don, t do these calls. If it's about my levels getting higher, I always have at least a weeks worth of readings to hand to tell the gp. Then if the gp is concerned then he will request an hba1c blood test.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I book my appointments on line now due to the contretemps when I last tried in person.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I know this isn't about diabetes but be aware that according to my wife's consultant ref Frozen Shoulder (Adhesive Encapsulitis) if it's genuinely that diagnosis then a steroid injection will be a painful waste of time. A steroid injection is only useful for some other types of shoulder problem. Many GPs don't understand that.