Does anything non-alcoholic work like wine?

Glink

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I rarely drink, because my partner's sober. When away on business trips, or occasionally out with friends, I will have a glass of red wine, though, and my FBG is always better the next morning!

If I lived alone, I'd just starting having a glass nightly. But I can't do that to my spouse. Is there anything non-alcoholic that works like wine to lower sugars like that? It's like magic.

Reactions: Freema

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm afraid not - alcohol diverts the liver from releasing glucose into the blood but as far as I know it is the only thing which is safe to take a glass of which has that effect.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree, a glass of red wine helps with BS and is extremely good for heart health and also cholesterol levels. I admire you for sparing your wife being faced with you drinking. Well done for that. :) I can't think of anything non-alcoholic that would have the same effect. Some people here say Apple Cider Vinegar (the Mother variety) is good. I have tried it but got fed up with it. I put a tablespoonful in a glass of water. I can't say it helped.

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dont think so. Besides if you had wine every night I think it would stop working in this way. Try cider vinegar, it works a bit

Reactions: Struma

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I get the same consitant effect with vodka..

The only thing I can think of "devised" to help retard liver dump is "Metformin."

Glink

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I take metformin. It helps some.

I do exercise, but it generally raises my sugars.

Glink

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'll look into ACV to see if it does anything.

Thanks.

Glink

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My liver is fine, no FLD.
I don't think there's any medical reason why I should not drink a glass of wine per evening; it's a social reason to avoid this.

evelygtc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
non
Red wine is sweet. What about DOM. Sweet too.
Will it raise blood sugar?
Dare not try.
Can anyone sdvise me?

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There is some kind of Chinese tea that lower blood glucose substantially But I cant remember the name and like cinamon ( the cheaper kind ) that also lower blood glucose some as I remember it it is the most poisonous part of the chemical in the plant that works Pu-erh tea is the name https://dailyhealthpost.com/pu-erh-chinese-tea-that-helps-with-weight-and-blood-sugar-management/

Besides that sage tea also lowers a bit and

http://www.battlediabetes.com/two-herbal-teas-that-can-help-lower-blood-sugar

Last edited:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Red wine is sweet. What about DOM. Sweet too.
Will it raise blood sugar?
Dare not try.
Can anyone sdvise me?

Red wine, dry white wine and most spirits have virtually no carbs and are OK for us to drink (in moderation as always). Red wine in particular is good for us because of the antioxidants that help with heart health and cholesterol. I also find it helps keep any levels down a little bit. It needs to be drunk with a meal. Beers are different - they are very carby.

Reactions: dbr10