Does Body Shape Influence Whether You Are Fat Or Thin'

benford

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
DOCTORS
Recently read an article on the internet about bodyshape.I looked up mine and i am apple shaped and am called an Endomorph.Endomorphs apparently have weight problems and put weight on easily and should exercise vigorously avoiding carbs on non training days.On the other side of the spectrum we have a friend who is an Ectomorph who has difficulty putting weight on but eats like a horse.They advise to restict the amount of exercise.Oh to be an Ectomorph.

Reactions: Serena51

Ermintrude775

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
They do like to put people in boxes don't they. Everything will influence how your body works. Just need to eat right exercise and accept we're not all stick thin

Reactions: Serena51

Terrytiddy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @benford that's why the BMI charts should be ignored in my opinion. It does not take into account weather you are a Mesamorph, Endomorph or an Ectomorph. I have a mate who is classed as morbidly obese according to BMI chart, he's a body builder and weight lifter and has hardly any fat at all just heavy with muscle!:happy: It also upsets some people that have lost weight to be told that according to the "BMI" chart you are still overweight!! :banghead:

Reactions: lindijanice

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
I'm an endomorph, all my fat bits are between the top of my hips and chest. However at under 50kg I'm not classed as fat.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In the end I don't think it matters what body shape we are, we can all see whether there are unwanted flabby bits.

Reactions: Robbity

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
There might be something in this for a small minoriy. I follow a lot of Keto performance podcasts. I can't remember who, but the person being interviewed trains basketball athletes, he stated that some easily maintained 6 packs and around 8% body fat even in the off season. By recollection they were ectomorph type builds with mesomorphic tendencies also.

On the other hand Ted Naiman says body type can be gotten around, he referenced case studies he had seen on the Keto Gains website.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Some of us are built for long winters even if its Summer all year round! I guess we've evolved to store fat more easily and that's fine so long as its not pathological i.e. fat stored as a result of insulin resistance thence metabolic syndrome including heart disease and diabetes. Waist size beats metabolism as a measure of your unhealthy fatness IMO/
I came of age in the 90s when Kate Moss (i.e. skinny waif/heroin chic look and reportedly said that 'nothing tastes as good as skinny feels') was the ideal but eventually came to realise that being a size 8 simply made be look like 'a fat bird who;d been starved'! (I think this was a Northerner who also commented that KM would look quite cute if you stuck her head on a fat bird..).

Reactions: Serena51 and Diakat

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was very active for my first couple of decades, and although I weighed 147lb as an adult I was muscular - I could hold my weight with one hand and swing across ladders and ropes. When I moved to a new area and found a new doctor I also found that I was considered overweight, (with a 24 inch waist) and put on a low calorie high carb diet then after a bout of almost pneumonia after 'flu' I was never the same again.
I reached a waist size of 48 inches a few years ago, also on a calorie controlled high carb diet.
I'd be classed as an endomorph now, I think - but I started out as a rather striking 38 24 38.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I am 8 1/2 st, a hour glass figure, not skinny, curvy.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
When all said and done it is the ectopic fat we should address first, no use being a 'Perfect 10' if you have a dodgy liver etc.

Reactions: Ermintrude775

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
... Ted Naiman says body type can be gotten around....

From a young child right up until I was in my 30s I tended to be very much underweight. Then I was about right for a while but eventually as I became elderly I gradually put on a vast amount of weight. I've always considered myself as a thin person who has now ended up in (someone else's) fat body - my body type obviously hasn't changed, just my size.:eek:

But having said that, I've known two permanently super skinny women (both with same structure) who've never put on an extra ounce over all the years I've known them....

Robbity

Last edited: