Does simvistatin affect sugar levels

Jim 007*

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,
Just wondering I have been taking my readings before and after meals and was doing really well ...but since I started taking simvistatin my 2 hour after meal readings are 9 or 10 ish I am doing couch to 5 k challenge week 7 now ..and play golf regular ...anybody else notice an effect when taking simvistatin...thanks Jim

Jim 007*

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Many thanks for that it's an interesting read. I only started taking them again 6 weeks ago and my readings after meals are 8/9 ish before I had 5/6/7 range. Not sure if this is linked as well but my weight loss (need to lose another 10lbs) has just about stopped despite a good diet and exercise pre statin it was fairly steady at 2/3 lbs a week

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,
Just wondering I have been taking my readings before and after meals and was doing really well ...but since I started taking simvistatin my 2 hour after meal readings are 9 or 10 ish I am doing couch to 5 k challenge week 7 now ..and play golf regular ...anybody else notice an effect when taking simvistatin...thanks Jim
My hba1c went from 48 at diagnosis to 54 when I started taking statins.

Reactions: Jim 007*

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,
If you don't really, really, really need them, you might want to stop them, as yes... Statins do up blood sugars.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

Jim - Like all medications, some people experience unwanted side-effects and others are just fine.

Nobody here can tell you whether or not you should be taking your medication or not, but I do think it would make sense to have a chat with your Doc to explain your findings.

He may want to try you on an alternative brand or or something else, but probably worth the chat.

Before you started taking them, did you and he go through your full cholesterol panel, and the significance of each component? To be honest, total cholesterol isn't usually felt to be that helpful for decision making.

Jim 007*

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,
Thanks for the reply I did go through my full cholesterol and total is 3.6 but the ratio of good bad is no that good.
I was diagnosed 6 years ago with type 2 on my 50th birthday I have always been fit and active and blame it on years of shift work.
On diagnosis I was told to start on statins as a matter of course but I decided that I wasn't going to go on them.

I started taking them last summer after discussion with my doctor at my check up but in October my hba1c was higher than when I was diagnosed although I was doing nothing different.

Christmas eve I got a call from the surgery to double my metformin and get bloods done again in March which were cancelled due to covid.

I stopped taking the statin to see if that made a difference and was testing every day before and after meals and had great readings. I started the statins again 3 weeks ago and my readings are high barely below 9 on a few occasions and often 10 or 11 after meals as opposed to 5 or 6 before.
I am going to phone docs when they are back to normal to ask to get changed to a different statin as there looks to be a direct correlation between the two. I am exercising near enough every day as well so god knows what my readings would be if I didn't.
It is good to know that other people have had the same experiences and I am not alone

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Could your statin dose just be reduced? A total Cholesterol of 3.6 is starting to be too low so a tweak to the dose might be useful?

Jim 007*

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi ,
That was my level before starting the statin they said my ratio was a bit off and it's better to take it as a precaution. I take one tablet at night.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi ,
That was my level before starting the statin they said my ratio was a bit off and it's better to take it as a precaution. I take one tablet at night.
Do you have the full lipid breakdown?
Lots of doctors appear to be woefully unaware about cholesterol and its functions.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was taking statins long term before i ever ended up with diabetes, and in retrospect I believe they were part of the cause - they are known to raise glucose levels. I finally stopped taking them and my glucose levels definitely dropped.