Don't know what type I am but Hello!!

staceface

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there!
In 2015 in my first pregnancy I was diagnoses with gestational diabetes. As I didn't meet the standard criteria my wonderful diabetic consultant tested my gad antibodies and they were out of range. Post pregnancy my sugars normalised. I was followed up and my gad antibodies continued to rise but my Hba1c remained within the normal range. I was told I was going to develop type 1 diabetes in the future. Jan 2017 I am pregnant again and from day 1 of finding out my blood sugars (fasting) and then mealtimes began to fall out of range. This time they have called it type 1 and started me on insulin (long and short lasting). I am doing my best to 'go with the flow' but this insulin business combined with first trimester pregnancy is all a bit overwhelming!! This forum looks great and I hope to learn a lot.
I would be very interested to know if anyone has had the same onset as me and how long it took for type 1 to develop in non pregnancy life?
I have been told that both being pregnant and breast feeding has been delaying its onset longer term for me- has this been anyone else's experience?

Reactions: Liam1955 and Prem51

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think @Diakat may have had a similar experience (sorry if I'm misremembering Diakat). There are a few other ladies here too whose gestational diabetes actually turned out to be Type 1.

It's great you had the GAD test. Your team must be on the ball :)

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Hi @staceface, I had gestational diabetes with a mix of diet and insulin and a problematic pregnancy but all worked out safely in the end. My sugars returned to normal and I breastfeed for an extended period.
My daughter was 5 when I got my 'proper' type 1 diagnosis and I have not been pregnant again although many people here have so can offer advice.
So for me it took a while for the full blown diabetes to kick in, but you can manage it well (and your family). We are all different and there are a lot of late onset people here who have managed to control things through diet for long periods.
Good to hear your team are looking after you and that a close eye will be kept on you and baby. Let us know how you get on.

staceface

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @staceface, I had gestational diabetes with a mix of diet and insulin and a problematic pregnancy but all worked out safely in the end. My sugars returned to normal and I breastfeed for an extended period.
My daughter was 5 when I got my 'proper' type 1 diagnosis and I have not been pregnant again although many people here have so can offer advice.
So for me it took a while for the full blown diabetes to kick in, but you can manage it well (and your family). We are all different and there are a lot of late onset people here who have managed to control things through diet for long periods.
Good to hear your team are looking after you and that a close eye will be kept on you and baby. Let us know how you get on.
Thank you so much for sharing your story with me. My team keep telling me they don't often see people like me so its nice to hear I am not the only one and it's interesting to hear that you still had another 5 years after your pregnancy. Hopefully my sugars will normalise again after this one. And fingers crossed the pregnancy doesn't make them go too crazy!

Reactions: Diakat

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.

Sharling

Type of diabetes
LADA
Hi there!
In 2015 in my first pregnancy I was diagnoses with gestational diabetes. As I didn't meet the standard criteria my wonderful diabetic consultant tested my gad antibodies and they were out of range. Post pregnancy my sugars normalised. I was followed up and my gad antibodies continued to rise but my Hba1c remained within the normal range. I was told I was going to develop type 1 diabetes in the future. Jan 2017 I am pregnant again and from day 1 of finding out my blood sugars (fasting) and then mealtimes began to fall out of range. This time they have called it type 1 and started me on insulin (long and short lasting). I am doing my best to 'go with the flow' but this insulin business combined with first trimester pregnancy is all a bit overwhelming!! This forum looks great and I hope to learn a lot.
I would be very interested to know if anyone has had the same onset as me and how long it took for type 1 to develop in non pregnancy life?
I have been told that both being pregnant and breast feeding has been delaying its onset longer term for me- has this been anyone else's experience?

Hi Staceface,
I've had a similar experience. LADA diagnosed in my second pregnancy and i'm currently in the honeymoon period where my sugars are relatively normal and i don't yet need insulin. (I did require insulin during the pregnancy however, and all signs point to the diabetes being present in the first pregnancy as well, however it was undiagnosed during that time).
My baby is now 6 months and i'm continuing to breast feed as i believe this is helping to maintain low BG.
Does anyone here know about the true impact of breast feeding? On the one hand it is putting my body under some stress to produce the milk but on the other its potentially burning 500+ calories a day for me. Curious to know of anyone thats had a similar situation and what they did. ...

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Sharling Breastfeeding will help keep your sugars down :) It doesn't strain the body. I'm Type 1 and have breastfed all my children.

Also, breastfeeding reduces your baby's risk of getting both Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes :)

Keep going - you're doing the best thing for both you and baby. XX

Sharling

Type of diabetes
LADA
@Sharling Breastfeeding will help keep your sugars down :) It doesn't strain the body. I'm Type 1 and have breastfed all my children.

Also, breastfeeding reduces your baby's risk of getting both Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes :)

Keep going - you're doing the best thing for both you and baby. XX

Hi Azure,
Thanks for the reply. Thats great to hear. I'm going to continue for as long as I can in the hope it prolongs the honeymoon period for me.

Reactions: azure

staceface

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Staceface,
I've had a similar experience. LADA diagnosed in my second pregnancy and i'm currently in the honeymoon period where my sugars are relatively normal and i don't yet need insulin. (I did require insulin during the pregnancy however, and all signs point to the diabetes being present in the first pregnancy as well, however it was undiagnosed during that time).
My baby is now 6 months and i'm continuing to breast feed as i believe this is helping to maintain low BG.
Does anyone here know about the true impact of breast feeding? On the one hand it is putting my body under some stress to produce the milk but on the other its potentially burning 500+ calories a day for me. Curious to know of anyone thats had a similar situation and what they did. ...

staceface

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi.
I breastfed after my first pregnancy and went back to being latent with my sugars in the normal range. I was still breastfeeding my 1 year old when I fell pregnant this time round. The diabetic consultant told me that breastfeeding was good as some of my sugars are leaving my body via my breastmilk. This is my understanding of why it may be helping you and why amongst all the other benefits it offers it could help keep your sugars in range for a bit longer.

Maggie/Magpie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Butternut Squash, Cabbage and confrontation.
Hi and welcome to the forum. Hope all goes well for you.
Good luck