Don't you just hate those days when ...

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Don't you just hate those days when first thing in the morning you realise you didn't take your Lantus the night before and then spend most of the day being somewhat higher than you'd like but not wanting to take more insulin in case Novorapid is being Novoslopid* today and is just storing it all up for later when it's going to be most inconvenient.

And no I didn't want to take my Lantus this morning at 6:45am so far behind when I normally take it (10:30PM ish) as I often go quite low overnight so don't really want any overlapping from taking it this morning when I take it tonight - as I suspect that would cause a nighttime hypo which I'd rather not have funnily enough.

* My novorapid seems to have two speeds at which it works, sometimes dead fast when I shall refer to it as Novorapid and other times it'll take 4 hours to do anything useful and then it'll make my sugar level plummit - which is when I refer to it as Novo-slo-pid. Which speed it picks seems to be completely at random as far as I can tell

Reactions: SallyEzra

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yep done that. Not as bad as taking humalog dose as if it were lantus.
Have a pump but have patted myself down whilst wondering why I was high and then realised that I had not reconnected after the shower....Hope you get a normal level overnight.

Reactions: Juicyj

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Yes I have also forgotten to re- attach the pump after a shower and only realised about 3 hours later when I did a blood test and realised I couldnt hear the ping beep of my reading being transmitted and of course had gone high..

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What are your injection sites like? that might account for the two speeds.

D

Deleted Account

Yes I have also forgotten to re- attach the pump after a shower and only realised about 3 hours later when I did a blood test and realised I couldnt hear the ping beep of my reading being transmitted and of course had gone high..
Yep. Done that - after a gym session when I was heading downhill, I disconnected to avoid the hypo and forgot to reconnect for 4 hours.
I think I may have over-achieved on the hypo-avoidance.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Apologies @slip but you seem to have managed to bring some form of logical reckoning to this thread.
This is T1 diabetes we are talking about here.
The diabetes where if I stand on the grout lines on the kitchen floor and inject into my left leg I will have sugars above 10 throughout the day.
The diabetes where, if Guns and Roses come on the radio whilst injecting, I inadvertently shoot up 16 units novorapid instead of lantus whilst singing Paradise City where the girls are pretty.
I don't think we can put any of these things down to the mere fact that we stick little sharp things into ourselves on a regular basis.
Bro love;);)

SallyEzra

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So good to see that it is not just me who occasionally does stuff like this! And it was my 3yr old son who was shouting at the top of his voice this morning in the bathroom & pointing at the window sill, saying ‘Mummy your pump!’, as I had forgotten to re-attach it post showering 30mins beforehand!.

When I took injections a few years back & was pregnant, it was suggested that it may help to elevate my blood sugar (which is almost always low when pregnant -unknown why!) if, in addition to reducing Lantus further, I were to split it into 2 injections - taking another at lunchtime in addition to last thing at night. Well it certainly helped raise my blood sugar to a more sensible level at the time, because trying to remember to take an additional basal at lunchtime seemed almost impossible. It seemed to get lost in all the other stuff of my working day!

Reactions: Antje77

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Apologies @slip but you seem to have managed to bring some form of logical reckoning to this thread.
This is T1 diabetes we are talking about here.
The diabetes where if I stand on the grout lines on the kitchen floor and inject into my left leg I will have sugars above 10 throughout the day.
The diabetes where, if Guns and Roses come on the radio whilst injecting, I inadvertently shoot up 16 units novorapid instead of lantus whilst singing Paradise City where the girls are pretty.
I don't think we can put any of these things down to the mere fact that we stick little sharp things into ourselves on a regular basis.
Bro love;);)

I listen to rock & metal all the time.. I'm a bit of a "maverick" when it comes to crossing the joins in my laminate flooring too..

What I do find is inject into the closest thing I have skin-wise (at my age.) to an "airbrushed" model's face in an 80's vid. & my insulin does what is suggested on paper.. I'm not suggesting what's on paper ties in with my personal mix of work & "R&R" however. ;)

Regarding a correction with Novorapid. The "5th hour" can be the "half way to the danger zone....." (See what I did there? @therower .) :D

And no I didn't want to take my Lantus this morning at 6:45am so far behind when I normally take it (10:30PM ish) as I often go quite low overnight so don't really want any overlapping from taking it this morning when I take it tonight - as I suspect that would cause a nighttime hypo which I'd rather not have funnily enough.

Appreciated, Rokaab. :)
Personally I would have done 3/4 of my dose waking on the realisation I forgot. (I inject my Lantus 11pm. & wake earlier.. Basicaly reducing the percentage in hours late?)

Now I'm hearing a "roadie" at the mic say "testing' testing....."

Reactions: therower

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've actually been trying an area that hasn't actually been touched before for the last month or so, cos I thought that may be some of the problem - after 40 years it's tricky to find spots that haven't been affected, but even in the newer spot (higher up on my backside) the same still applies, sometime is mega fast, other times it just farts about and waits for a number of hours. As it happens it kicked in about 4pm this afternoon and was down to something reasonable by the time I has dinner at 6pm (some 5 hours after taking it), it's risen a bit since then (i had a very low carb dinner compared to what I normally have) because I went out to a gaming club and was playing boardgames (and having a few drinks - £3.50 for a house double vodka and diet coke :))) all evening and didn't take any corrections whilst out, but I've had todays Lantus now, so it should sort it's life out.

Appreciated, Rokaab. :)
Personally I would have done 3/4 of my dose waking on the realisation I forgot. (I inject my Lantus 11pm. & wake earlier.. Basicaly reducing the percentage in hours late?)
To be honest I just am not prepared to risk it, about half the time libre is in the red low zone overnight - it does tend to show lower that it actually is, but given I live on my own it just wasn't something I was willing to try :)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
And it was my 3yr old son who was shouting at the top of his voice this morning in the bathroom & pointing at the window sill, saying ‘Mummy your pump!’, as I had forgotten to re-attach it post showering
I'm not on a pump but do 3yr olds come on the nhs? I really think I need one to save me from stupid diabetic mistakes.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
To be honest I just am not prepared to risk it, about half the time libre is in the red low zone overnight - it does tend to show lower that it actually is, but given I live on my own it just wasn't something I was willing to try :)
I take it you've tried taking libre in the morning instead of at night? (Am guessing the dawn phenomena combined with running out libre makes it unviable but having your blood sugar lowest at night doesn't seem ideal.) And I can't talk, as I have my lantus at night too, and am probably lowest (but not by much) circa 2 am.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
(and having a few drinks - £3.50 for a house double vodka and diet coke :))

:hungry:

Thought you were a ‘senior’ member of the gang but had to ask about sites knowing you’d probably covered that angle anyway but may of had a senior moment! Thought of asking for a different insulin?