1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Dosage Concern from Regular Metformin to SR Metformin (Glucophage)

Discussion in 'Metformin/Biguanides' started by wookie101, Jun 29, 2015.

1. wookie101

wookie101 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

HI,

Just writing as i thought I read somewhere about Dr making mistakes on working out the calculation from switching from regular Metformin to Slow Release Metformin.

I was on 3x500 regular metformin but I kept getting crushing chest pains from time to time within 15mins of take a pill.

Dr has now put me on the slow release variety (he spent ages reading several things making calculations) and then just prescribed effectively 1500mg per day of SR Metformin

1x500 in the morning
    1x1000 to be taken with evening meal.

My concern was (as I've just got them) that he was concerned....

Anyone else taking SR Metformin (branded Glucophage)

2. Robbity

Robbity Type 2 · Expert

A lot of us here take SR metformin - I usually have a different brand but have been issued with Glucophage a couple of time without any problems.

You can look at the leaflet that accompanies the packs if you are concerned still about side effects.

Robbity

3. PatsyB

PatsyB Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I am on metformin but do not think it is slow release does it say SR on the box if so then I am not on it :confused:

4. Croc

Croc Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Speak to your pharmacist. They are the drug experts.

5. Sid Bonkers

Sid Bonkers Type 2 · Well-Known Member

There is no difference in the dosage between metformin and sr metformin the only difference is the speed at which it is relaesed, SR just means slow release.

The current maximum dose of metformin is 2000mg split 2 x 500mg with breakfast and 2 x 500mg with your evening meal, met should always be taken with food to minimise any unwanted stomach problems.

Some people have been prescribed a higher doses in the past but that is no longer recommended by NICE.

6. wookie101

wookie101 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi Sid, thanks for that I thought I'd read differently somewhere which was why wanted some info from people on SR, thanks

7. Pinkorchid

Pinkorchid Type 2 · Well-Known Member

My husbands say.. film coated tablets... on the box don't know if that is the same as SR He takes 2x 500g with food twice a day and has never had any tummy problems with them

8. lessci

lessci Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I'm on 850mg 3 x a day (total 2550mg)

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook