Double cream

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Another vote for double cream. You can pour an awful lot of lactose (milk sugar) into a cup of coffee made with milk, whereas double cream is diabetic-friendly.

Double cream contains less carbohydrate than skimmed, semi-skimmed or whole milk because during the cream-making process, the sugar is consumed by the bacteria that curdle the milk, leaving us with a delicious high-fat, low-carb cream that IMO makes the perfect partner for coffee.

However you brew your coffee, making it with water and then adding double cream allows the flavour and aroma of coffee to shine through.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Don't forget to add the butter!
Strong coffee, double cream and butter every morning.

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
I wonder what it is about double cream specifically as opposed to other fatty things? That encourages weight gain I mean.

• Agree
Reactions: Pipp and flonvic

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm not a fan of butter coffee myself, but if you decide to experiment, make sure you use unsalted butter and drink your coffee while still hot. Left to cool, the butter congeals and eventually solidifies.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wonder what it is about double cream specifically as opposed to other fatty things? That encourages weight gain I mean.
For me it’s all dairy that I have to watch as I gain weight so butter, cream, full fat Greek yogurt, cheeses. Other fats like oils, avocado, nuts etc I’m fine with, even when they are calorific equivalent. Luckily apart from cheese I’m not that big a lover of dairy.

As to why I’ve no idea, although I’ve read that dairy can be inflammatory but no idea if that has anything to do with it

BigAlan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stupid people.

"Intelligent people are being silenced so that stupid people are not offended."

Author unkown
Am I right in thinking I can put double cream in coffee? Trying to put a bit of weight on!
I use cream all day long in coffee. The cream I use has 1.6g carb per 100mls. Cows milk of any type, has 5g per 100ml.

I am on a low carb diet so this saves me drinking too many espressos. Fir definitve advice see your diabetes professional.
Alan.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Double cream every time for me, in coffee and on berry fruit, and in some soups. I used to add butter to coffee and use a little blender stick (Ikea) to froth it. Or maybe it sort of emulsifies it. Mrs DeeJay now adds a little double cream to her skim milk in coffee. We spread the love!

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Probably just the ease of consumption. Let's face it cream in a coffee is easier to take on board than a slice of butter.

(I actually don't care for cream in tea or coffee, so do stick to milk, but, like everything else, personal choice and enjoyment come into it.)

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You can, but based on my experience, you'll lose weight.

I make a six-shot moka pot every morning. Double cream in each one.
It looks as though we experience the effect of cream in our own unique ways.
For me, I gain weight with just minimum addition of cream to coffee, or in soups and sauces. Which is annoying, because I love it. The weight gain increases BG levels. I suppose the best advice for any individual is to try it, but record and monitor amount consumed, weight and BG levels.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just to confuse things even further, I like my double cream On Top of my coffee.
Can't stand it in the coffee but sipping hot coffee through a thick layer of cold cream is yum!

I have max one a day.
Weight very slowly creeping up... is it the cream? Who knows? Trying very hard to think of anything else to give up ...

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Back in the day bullet proof coffee was a thing.
At the time there were four ingredients:
Coffee
Double cream
Butter
Coconut oil

I've just looked and this no longer seems to be the recipe of choice.

Anyway I am not a fan of coconut so I had "bullet resistant coffee" made from coffee, butter and double cream.
I use salted butter - no idea why unsalted is specified.
I think the salt lifts the flavour.

I do find that this replaces breakfast and I can go until mid afternoon before I need to eat.