Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I think but cannot quite be sure that I took 40 units of Tresiba this morning instead of my usual 20.

I had a pretty bad hypo in Tescos around lunchtime which was not expected and this evening went out to collect a Chinese and noticed that I'd dropped from 6.5 to 5 in 2 hours with no quick acting in my system. I am just not 100% sure though :(. But it makes sense that this is the case, I have a reminder on my quick acting pen so will never repeat this mistake with qa, just not in my Tresiba pen..

Any ideas anyone ?

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
hi juicy -- you know the drill -- it looks to be a longish night with a fair bit of testing to be sure

do you have support in the house with you ?

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
if you have it will hit you later but saying that "if I give myself a unit to much" I freefall the next day, so hopefully you have not. I use a diposable Tresiba pen and a Lilly pen with refills for the humalog I take so I do not get mixed up.

Stay safe and well

Reactions: 2 people

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Thanks for the replies, I stayed up testing last night and before bed I was 10.8 about 2 hours after my quick acting had run out so I felt fairly safe and kept glucogel by then bed, have woke at 6.8 so thank goodness been fine. I am not brilliant in mornings so just hope it doesn't happen again :banghead:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Easily done @Juicyj, you can get devices such as Timesulin that fit on the end of basal pens which are handy for those moments of doubt.

ann34+

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think but cannot quite be sure that I took 40 units of Tresiba this morning instead of my usual 20.

I had a pretty bad hypo in Tescos around lunchtime which was not expected and this evening went out to collect a Chinese and noticed that I'd dropped from 6.5 to 5 in 2 hours with no quick acting in my system. I am just not 100% sure though :(. But it makes sense that this is the case, I have a reminder on my quick acting pen so will never repeat this mistake with qa, just not in my Tresiba pen..

Any ideas anyone ?

Hi, Juicyj, one possible idea - is tresiba, or can it be, prescribed in a vial in the UK? If so, what about using a 0.3 ml syringe? Before the pump i never used pens - did not like them, did not feel they were safe for me. I Liked to see exactly what i was drawing up. The syringes only hold 30 units, if you were filling past 20, going to a full syringe of 30 would be difficult to do, and you would definitely notice. (Even in the unlikely even of your not noticing, the max mistake would be 10iu.) After the injection, tick a notebook or record elsewhere what dose you have had, and dispose of the syringe by snapping off the needle and cap at the same time (to reinforce the fact you have had the dose in your mind.) The problem, as i see it, is that dosing can become so automatic over the years that mistakes can happen without be-safe rules.
I am on the pump now but i still have be-safe protocols. e,g. i have set the max bolus to 3. I know i can check bolus history, but i prefer to prevent any mistakes, and if i need more i just have another bolus.