double figure BG levels is this a problem????

salty

Hi All
Have only been diagnosed just over a week with Type 2. My levels since being on medication (metformin, gliclzide) have been anywhere from 10.4 to 19.9 but on average they are between 10 and 15 is this a problem in the long term and what are the implications of double figure levels.. your thoughts please.

Chris.

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
If you Google "diabetes complications", look at the list and decide for yourself whether you could cope with one or more of what's on the list (blindness, kidney failure, amputation, the list goes on). Bg levels in the 10-15 range will greatly increase the chance of you getting said complications, but only you can decide!

timo2

Dislikes
Glycemic excursions
Hi Chris,

Double figure BG levels are bad news for both the risk of diabetic complications and also the progression of type 2. The cells in your body which produce insulin are particularly sensitive to the toxic effect of high blood sugar. Keeping BG low and avoiding any excessive demands on your own insulin production can go a long way to stall/slow the progession of type 2.

Regards,
timo.

salty

Kegstore / timo2

Hear you loud and clear, I have been advised to eat starcy carbs by dietician and GP, which I have been doing as part of a controlled diet(but to no joy). I think I am now going to reduce my carb intake to hopefully manage my levels..

Kegstore i did smile with the choices you have allowed me to cope with... think i'll choose none of the above and get to single figures...but plase next time someone seeks your advice please please don't sit on the fence and say what your thinking... :) (joking)

Thanks

Chris

salty

My levels are going bl**dy sky high tested about an hour ago with reading of 31.3. Have doc appointment this evening. I am also suffering from pins and needles to my right foot mainly big toe is this just a symptom of my levels or an underlying issue.

Chris.

Csfrowantree

Dislikes
People that dont understand diabetics and all that goes with having diabetes
Hi Salty,

Dont want to panick you but I would get to see a Doctor asap, with Bgs as high as that it could be dangerous. Hope all is ok when you see the Doc, you could always go to A & E if you start to feel ill.

hoolyuk

Dislikes
Salad
salty said:
My levels are going bl**dy sky high tested about an hour ago with reading of 31.3. Have doc appointment this evening. I am also suffering from pins and needles to my right foot mainly big toe is this just a symptom of my levels or an underlying issue.

Chris.

Are you sure your monitor isn't faulty? 31.3 is a dangerously high reading......

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
Are you thoroughly washing your hands and drying them before drawing blood for the test strip? Any contamination will usually give a false reading!

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Salty

If you read many of the threads on this website you will find that many of us find keeping carb intake lower rather than higher is the best way forward with Type 2. This is because high GI carbs are rapidly absorbed by the body and converted to glucose. Why some GPs in the NHS recommend having a lot of starchy carbs is a mystery to me and many others. If you test your BG with a meter around 2 hours after different meals you will be able to tell which foods are contributing to your high levels.

burnbrae6

salty said:

Chris.
Dont want to bring you bad news but about 18 months ago i wriggled my big toe in bed and noticed it 'tingled' I now have full blown Neuropathy. No feeling in both feet, bottom of foot feels like my socks have slipped under my feet. It seems high sugar levels damage your nerves and the ones furthest from the brain (hands and feet) are first to suffer.31.3 is VERY high, you must try to keep it lower as talking from experience you dont want to suffer Neuropathy. As far as i am aware it is irreversable so try to stop it. It ruins your life.

Lemonie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Chris

I was diagnosed on Monday and also have double figure BG levels. I have been testing before and 2 hours after food and went up to 19.1 last night but am around the 17 mark most days. I am on Metformin 500mg once a day going to twice a day after 2 weeks. If you find the answer let me know.

Mel