Driving and high sugars!

Seriously_Sax1989

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey there,

Does any one know the "cut off " point for driving with high levels as I have been told not to drive if under 5mmol (obviously) but wasn't sure if there was an upper limit as well?

I can't seem to find any info about high sugar levels!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
There is nothing written down with DVLA regarding upper levels but you still need to be capable and safe and competent to drive. High levels can cause fatigue, blurred vision etc so if involved in an accident or anything I guess the police could pursue the lines of "not fit to drive" rather than levels too high.

Reactions: 3 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Good point. I can only guess at a sensible upper limit. I would set myself 20mmol perhaps as an upper limit

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
It does appear rather odd that the DVLA don't have a upper safe limit to drive, as we all know high bg can hinder our thought processes and can also make you feel very tired, not good when when your driving!

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
is there a clinical definition of hyperglycaemia? i would guess that the symptoms vary from person to person

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There are probably hundreds of undiagnosed people with diabetes driving around at this very moment. You may be ok, but you have no idea about the state of health of others around you on the road.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
is there a clinical definition of hyperglycaemia? i would guess that the symptoms vary from person to person

According to Wikki its 11.1 ElyDave.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was driving on the day of diagnosis... 29 mmol/l. The GP wasn't keen on it but I explained that I couldn't leave my car and so had to drive it home. She said fine do long as I didn't drive it after that

Mother took me to the hospital where my BG had come down to 25ish. Asked the consultant when I was allowed to drive again and he said immediately. I opted out for a couple days, but technically i'd been given the all clear!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I was told the opposite, gp said not to drive until bg had come down, as it happened I spent 5 days in hospital getting bg down and getting use to injecting before being let home. Looking back the induced hypo was a good idea otherwise I may not have known what one felt like.....which could have been dangerous when getting back behind the wheel.

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was driving on the day of diagnosis... 29 mmol/l. The GP wasn't keen on it but I explained that I couldn't leave my car and so had to drive it home. She said fine do long as I didn't drive it after that

Mother took me to the hospital where my BG had come down to 25ish. Asked the consultant when I was allowed to drive again and he said immediately. I opted out for a couple days, but technically i'd been given the all clear!

I went to London on the train, got the message on the way home that I needed to go to Addenbrookes, drove from he station to pick up my daughter from ballet class, dropped her off at home, then drove 20 miles to the hospital. I was >26 plus ketones on arrival.

Nobody mentioned anything about driving, home and I was >11 for several days afterwards.

I was away in Aberdeen the next week working, running around 10-12.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
It's down to the individual to ensure they are competent to drive. DVLA only regulate on min numbers. High BG levels can make you feel horrible but no more so than driving with a heavy cold or similar. Even certain allergy meds cause drowsiness. Can't make laws for everything which is why it is the driver who must ensure ability to safely operate a vehicle.

michvb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As already mentioned no 'upper limit' specified but for me I have a cut off point at 15 and then only drive if I really have to.
I once drove with BG 19 and was shocked at how awful my driving was/responses were and so was my passenger! (journey prior to that bg 'normal' and driving fine).

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a bad cold affecting my BG at the moment. This morning I am 16 and feeling like hell and so I've opted out if going to work, mostly due to the driving there and home again.

Sure, I could probably do it. But why risk mine and someone else's life of I make a bad call! Always better safe than sorry :)

ally009

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am a long distance class one driver I am usually around 12-14 mark, problem I have is I cannot get to sleep in truck as I cannot switch off so I am tired when it's my turn to drive and of coarse u can't take energy drinks

MsManicure

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
having diabetes, car drivers who don't indicate
I'm fairly new to injecting insulin and as I have other medical conditions its hard to get a satisfactory bg levels. I was put on insulin after a reading of 25. I had previously been diet managed with an average of 6 for 10yrs prior.

Since then, although I have felt quite unwell a lot of the time Ive not stopped going to work or college, I just test before I drive if am feeling out of sorts. My bloods were over 33 the other day but I felt well enough to drive.

Its like a lot of things, how each of us reacts to our bg levels is different for each of us. My GP said she couldn't understand how 'well' I was considering how high my count was.

I guess my point is, BE MINDFUL and if in doubt don't drive or operate machinery.