Drugs not available

manlancs

Dislikes
Diabetes
I am type 2 tablet controlled. one of my problems is complete blockage of the arteries in both legs,inoperable,after lots of exercise V.painful walking i have some pulses back,i have tried lots of medication to relieve the intermitent cluadication,3 months ago I was prescibed, Naftidrofuryl Capsules
and they were a great help.However this weekend in a letter fr4om the GP surgery explaining that it was a directive from the PCT that this medication was on a list issed by the PCT as not to be dispensed by the GP anymore.
Now this is avery inexpensive product and the benifit to me is amazing,I can walk around without Great Pain and sleep thro the night. How can they do this.

Does anyone know if the GP can issue a private prescription to enable me to buy this stuff.or anyway of getting it? Joe

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Re: Drugs not availabe

Contact your doctor to find out why this is being withdrawn. There may be some reason for it or if it is purely cost :

Naftidrofuryl (Non-proprietary) Prescription-only medicine
Capsules, naftidrofuryl oxalate 100 mg, net price 84-cap pack = £5.30. Label: 25, 27

This drug is still listed in the current edition of the BNF.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.

If a GP is simply following PCT instructions, you can appeal directly to them.
Hana

manlancs

Dislikes
Diabetes

As I cannot get an appt to see my GP for 2 Weeks I shall enquire as how to appeal, you see the cost of these capsules,they are not going to save much on them are they?
they are essential to me enabling me to retain my mobility and get a nights sleep.
Thanks for the advice I will keep you informed. Joe

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.

Contact your PCT direct. You'll find the information on the web.
There'll be a phone number. Ring and ask them how to appeal. I wouldn't wait 2 weeks to see the doctor, I'd ask for a phone consultation.
If I'm unhappy with something, I like to get it sorted ASAP
Hana

manlancs

Dislikes
Diabetes

Today phoned PCT got no further than operater she did not know who i should speak to to state my case,she had someone call me from PAL (Patients Advice Liasion ) they phoned me took the detail and said they would ring back,she did so to tell me that the drug had been stopped by the PCT,and it was under review by NICE which could take 6 months ,and that was all she could do.
Phoned GP to speak to Practice Manager but he/she was to busy to speak to me,they got a Dr to phone me who told me the drug had been stopped by PCT,but she would bring it up at the practice meeting Thurs.

Feel as tho I am fighting an octopus

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.

Withdrawal of naftidrofuryl infusion (Praxilene Forte)Following a review conducted in the UK and Europe, intravenous naftidrofuryl is being withdrawn. Thisproduct was previously available for the treatment of severe peripheral vascular disease but serious adversereactions have been reported1. The risks of cardiac and neurological toxicity have been found to outweighthe benefit of intravenous naftidrofuryl in this condition. The oral form of naftidrofuryl (Praxilene capsules100mg) remains available for use under the conditions stated in the data sheet.1.

CSM/MCA. Current Problems in Pharmacovigilance 1995; 21:

This is the only thing I could find about the drug but it relates to the infusion being withdrawn, not the oral capsule form. It also dates from 1995.

Until there is something official about this then we are none the wiser at all ....... :?

Hope you get it sorted or at least an effective substitute.

manlancs

Dislikes
Diabetes

Hello ,update on the subject, I have written recorded delivery to the Chief exe.NHS Stockport no reply as yet,
I am informed constantly it is being withdrawn because it does not work, BUT it does for me. Doc gave me further months supply and promised to apply for a one off Funding. If that fails he will give me a private prescription for me to buy myself COST £6.30for 84 at Lloyds.

Big Deal

manlancs

Dislikes
Diabetes

Hello ,Hear again with the latest in this saga.I told you I wrote to the Chief Exe.stockport PCT.
no reply for over a month,so I phoned, Nice lady Yes we recieved the letter but we do not know what happened to it ,we have had a lot of people off sick.so I emailed the letter ,prompt reply we will be attending to it and you will hear by Friday (today), true enough phone call saying that they had spoken to my GP and authorised issue of tablets until an appeal is heard that is being submitted by my GP.
so a temporary reprieve . I think it may take some time for the appeal .they are all very busy,and no appeal system exist yet, they are just setting up , and like us they do get sick in December !

manlancs

Dislikes
Diabetes

Hello ,sorry not to have let you know,but eventualy the PCT allowed my appeal and I now get the above mentioned tablets,and they are working for me. Thank you for all your support,sorry not to have let you know before,but other events took,doing much better now. :)

diadeb

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
bullies, racism, ridiculous political correctness

Congratulations to you manlancs, although you didn't really get a good explanation as to why they were being withdrawn and of course they obviousely help you, so good luck with the appeal and your future health, Deb x