Dry Fruits

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Almonds (9%carb) and walnuts (7% carb) are ok in small amounts. Macadamia nuts (5% carb) and Brazil nuts (4% carb ) even better.
Pistachios (15% carb) and cashews (22% carb) are far higher carb so best avoided.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/nuts

Dried fruits are definitely best avoided (dates, raisins etc)

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can dry fruits such as Almond, Pista, Cashew and walnut raise sugar ?
Is this a trick question?

Dried Fruit is High in Natural Sugar and Calories
Because the water has been removed from dried fruit, this concentrates all the sugar and calories in a much smaller package. For this reason, dried fruit is very high in calories and sugar, including both glucose and fructose.:bookworm:

A quick google search revealed pages of web site listing dried fruits/nuts as a great way to snack in between meals. Its better than eating bars of chocolate and bags of crisps. But that's like saying drinking Orange Juice is better than drinking Coke. Coke has 10 t-spoons of sugar in an average glass and OJ has 9. Better. :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Truth is if your gonna snack nuts are not a bad choice, not snacking is better but we are all human.

And yes it turned out is was a trick question according to the internet nuts are fruits now. Looks like we are going to have to change the words of the song to "Every ones a fruit and fruitcase":singing:

I mean what are the Morris Dancers going to do. ;)
:bag:

Last edited:

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Can dry fruits such as Almond, Pista, Cashew and walnut raise sugar ?
These are nuts not dried fruits so should be ok but dried fruit should be avoided as they are high in sugar

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Almonds (9%carb) and walnuts (7% carb) are ok in small amounts. Macadamia nuts (5% carb) and Brazil nuts (4% carb ) even better.
Pistachios (15% carb) and cashews (22% carb) are far higher carb so best avoided.
Cashews apparently contain resistant starch, so may not be as bad as their carbohydrate content suggests. There was an interesting discussion on the forum about this, and some members found that they didn't see any (significant) rise. I'v since discovered I'm one of these lucky people and now happily include cashews as an occasional part of my diet.

But as always it's advisable to do our own testing before committing ourselves to potentially problematic foods.

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Nuts are part of my daily diet, loaded with micro nutrients. Macadamia, almond, pistachio, in moderation. I buy the smallest packages I can find, cause I’ll likely eat them all.

No dried fruits as I’m sure I’d spike.