Duck fat

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Who eats duck fat?

Sadly I recently found the butter before meals helping my bg isn’t going to work anymore. If I questioned dairy intolerance I no longer do. I was very achy and swollen and was getting worse everyday.

I can’t live on just mayo and olive oil for fats lol

Doing research into duck fat it’s supposed to have a better fatty acid profile than butter, in fact closer to olive oil.
I think I’m going to give it a go!

Anyone with experience? I remember it tasted great !!!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
We use goose fat for roasting. We have used duck fat but prefer goose.
Butter for frying.

Sorry about the butter - maybe you just had too much?

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
All animal fats are fine, it’s down to taste really.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I use both, goose and duck fat for frying food.
I used to love roasties cooked in these fats. (Sigh!)

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm another for goose fat although have used duck as well. Prefer to eat duck though. Bacon nectar maybe?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Interesting. I’ll see what my options are.

I’m going 100% dairy free for a week. I’ve always known it’s not my friend and I’m sure I just over ate it. Then I will just have it occasionally. I KNOW it was the butter. It’s the only thing I changed.
I’m looking forward to one or the other......or both.
I think as long as I’m there I’ll pick up a duck breast to roast for dinner.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Well the duck fat worked with fasting and morning spikes.
I couldn’t find any in the store. They were out so had to buy the breast and cook it. Oh darn...

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Hotpepper20000

That is sad about the butter. I wonder if gee would be problem for you as well?
One of our local grocery stores does sell duck fat in a tub. I do buy once in a while for roast veggies.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
That is sad about the butter. I wonder if gee would be problem for you as well?
One of our local grocery stores does sell duck fat in a tub. I do buy once in a while for roast veggies.
It is sad. I have an amazing ghee, actually two bottles in the freezer. I’m thinking it would certainly be better than butter if I’m that intolerant. It’s grass fed from New Zealand cows.

I just panicked as the stores I knew carried it don’t anymore but I found one that does. Yay.
This could be a long week, no coffee, nuts, eggs or dairy. Doing the elimination diet. That’s a lot of good foods to give up but they have all come and gone for me before. I just probably need to stop eating the same things over and over. Duh.
Coffee makes me feel awful but I forge ahead haha
Eggs are ok occasionally as long as they’re fully cooked
Nuts. Always suspect
Dairy no good but sometimes worth it.
Hopefully I’ll jus feel better
I don’t feel awful but it’s one thing or another every day

Hotpepper20000

I’ve bee feeling horrible the last few weeks. All achey and tired. I realized this morning I’ve forgotten to take my B12 supplement for over a month
I was worried it was the new bourbon I’ve been enjoying. :angelic:

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is sad. I have an amazing ghee, actually two bottles in the freezer. I’m thinking it would certainly be better than butter if I’m that intolerant. It’s grass fed from New Zealand cows.

I just panicked as the stores I knew carried it don’t anymore but I found one that does. Yay.
This could be a long week, no coffee, nuts, eggs or dairy. Doing the elimination diet. That’s a lot of good foods to give up but they have all come and gone for me before. I just probably need to stop eating the same things over and over. Duh.
Nuts. Always suspect
You do seem to have a complicated relationship with food, maybe your restricted diet is the problem rather than the solution. How long is it since you tried a "normal" balanced diet that the average healthy eating person might have? It is very easy to fall into the trap of excluding or including some type of food and because you then randomly feel better or worse, deciding that food is a problem or a panacea.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve bee feeling horrible the last few weeks. All achey and tired. I realized this morning I’ve forgotten to take my B12 supplement for over a month
I was worried it was the new bourbon I’ve been enjoying. :angelic:
Is it helping?
I take R ALA and vit D everyday and just upped my ala. I forget to take it with lunch. Now it’s with my insulin so I’ll remember

I love bourbon. But vodka treats me better. Haven’t changed anything there so it not that lol

And , no, I’m not eliminating that. It would just confuse things too much!

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
You do seem to have a complicated relationship with food, maybe your restricted diet is the problem rather than the solution. How long is it since you tried a "normal" balanced diet that the average healthy eating person might have? It is very easy to fall into the trap of excluding or including some type of food and because you then randomly feel better or worse, deciding that food is a problem or a panacea.
I have SIBO, to which there is no cure, just management.
I certainly do have food issues per nasty nasty digestion.
The diet for sibo is very restrictive. I have tried over and over to add foods back in to no avail. I then just live in a perpetual state of bloat, pain, constipation to name just a few. Trust me, I have fought back and tried to TEACH it and it never works.

I don’t enjoy this in the least. It makes me very angry. Most days I just do what I have to do but there are days I have major meltdowns. Then I just pick myself back up.

I really would love nothing more than to eat a plate of veggies but I would pay the price for days. Been there done that.

My daughter has a horrible stomach too. She’s in pain everyday of one sort or another. Granite she eats too many carbs. Healthy ones but too many. She’s very paleo and though it has helped a lot she’s still always bloated and in pain. She’s had every test under the sun to find the root cause. Even as far as surgery to see if she had endometriosis. Not one single thing was found.

So, I’ve tries, she’s tried and nothing nada zip shows up

Hotpepper20000

Is it helping?
I take R ALA and vit D everyday and just upped my ala. I forget to take it with lunch. Now it’s with my insulin so I’ll remember

I love bourbon. But vodka treats me better. Haven’t changed anything there so it not that lol

And , no, I’m not eliminating that. It would just confuse things too much!
It has helped in the past for sure. Ive been very low since my 20s , the feeling is a familiar one and not sure why I didn’t clue in before this morning. just started taking it again today.
I’m not much of a fan of vodka so I haven’t tried it straight up

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Nuts. Always suspect
OMG! and I thought I had problems! It must be incredibly character-building, but I imagine you'd prefer to be a bit more wishy-washy and have more food options!

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well the duck fat worked with fasting and morning spikes.
I couldn’t find any in the store. They were out so had to buy the breast and cook it. Oh darn...
See if you can find a tin of French confit du Canard it's swimming in duck fat .You could also try the chicken fat that settles out of bone broth . Waitrose also do a selection of other fats , goose , lard ,

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It has helped in the past for sure. Ive been very low since my 20s , the feeling is a familiar one and not sure why I didn’t clue in before this morning. just started taking it again today.
I hope it helps. Some vitamins / supplements mess my bg up. B complex does but not sure about just B 12. My b and folate are alway very high.

I’m am embassador for Makers Mark bourbon lol. Do you get that there? I assume you do

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Those melt downs I mentioned above. Vodka helps. Lol. I’m sure in the end it’s not helping but at the moment, it really does

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
See if you can find a tin of French confit du Canard it's swimming in duck fat .You could also try the chicken fat that settles out of bone broth . Waitrose also do a selection of other fats , goose , lard ,
Thanks. I’m in the US. I did locate a store that has it so off I go

I do have to say the breast I cooked was great. And lots of fat left.

OMG! and I thought I had problems! It must be incredibly character-building, but I imagine you'd prefer to be a bit more wishy-washy and have more food options!
Yeah, sure isn’t fun and I’m sick of it to tell the truth. Most days I eat the same bf and same lunch and dinner macros. All with avocado of course but I have a wide variety of proteins and I can eat a few veggies when I eat. Small meals are best for both my stomach and bs so I eat something every two hours.

My stupid stomach is almost harder to manage than my diabetes.

It’s when I go wish washy that I run into problems. I used to love to cook and concoct, never using a recipe but rather just the ideas. Now it’s just different. Much simpler but just as flavorful.

Hotpepper20000

I hope it helps. Some vitamins / supplements mess my bg up. B complex does but not sure about just B 12. My b and folate are alway very high.

I’m am embassador for Makers Mark bourbon lol. Do you get that there? I assume you do
I enjoy Basil Hayden.
I’ll see if we have Makers Mark. I’m always upbfor a bit of taste tasting lol.