Early Days But Progress!

BarbaraDavies

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you want to give fasting a try Barbara you could start off with 12 hour fasts, Say start at 20.00 till 08.00 (you will be in bed most of the time). Give it a try it and see how it goes. :)
Tbh Terry, im doing that most days, rarely ever eat after 7.30pm and never before 9am. So maybe i should think of going to 10am and then build up longer fasting times depending on how that goes?

BarbaraDavies

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done Barbara
Dieting and exercise are the way forward. My weight at diagnosis (January 2108) was 128KG. My super skinny (probably Anorexic) doctor looked at me and tutted saying, "You could do with loosing a few pounds/kilos/tons" As much as I hate to admit it he was right. My wife cleaned out WH Smith of every diabetic cook book they had and threw herself into my dieting regime 100%. Weighted in this morning at 109KG. Ordinarily I would be well chuffed with that however my weight has remained static for a month. As hard as I try it won't budge. However I will keep trying as I am now down from a 42" waist to a 38" waist, it can only get better.

I have seen my wife secretly weighting herself in the bathroom and I can tell by the cheshire cat grin when she comes out that she is also loosing weight so she's happy as well

A friend of mine at work needed to loose weight for his upcoming wedding and he recommends incidental fasting. Give food a day off, don't eat on a Monday and Thursday (for instance) and equally don't pig out the day after!

Good luck, hope you achieve your target weight

Thank you for your support, I feel getting the weight under control is key too and i feel really motivated to get on with it. Im not sure if i could do the fasting but I will definitely bear it mind if the weight loss doesnt go to plan! Well done you on your progress, is that bringing down your bg figures well?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Tbh Terry, im doing that most days, rarely ever eat after 7.30pm and never before 9am. So maybe i should think of going to 10am and then build up longer fasting times depending on how that goes?
Sounds like a good idea. I don’t eat before lunch and sometimes not until dinner. It takes a while to get used to but after a few weeks you don’t really notice. I just start the day with a tea or coffee (or three) and go from there.

Reactions: Terrytiddy

TTTE

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes (but I may learn to love it)
Thank you for your support, I feel getting the weight under control is key too and i feel really motivated to get on with it. Im not sure if i could do the fasting but I will definitely bear it mind if the weight loss doesnt go to plan! Well done you on your progress, is that bringing down your bg figures well?

My BG readings are on a downward trend. My doctor doesn't seem to believe in type 2 diabetics doing home / self testing, he says it is unnecessary as he will send me for blood tests every 6 months etc.....Yawn!

Just by reading the posts on here it is painfully obvious that anyone with our condition should monitor their BG readings. At diagnosis my BG was as high as 18 mmol/l. I'm currently ticking over at between 7 and 8 mmol/l which is entirely down to a change of diet (bye bye junk / fast food) and some exercise along with the associated weight loss. Don't know what went wrong 6 weeks ago but my BG for one test only fell through the floor at 1.9 mmol/l. Phoned NHS Direct for their advice which was excellent. This was the one and only time this has happened. The strange thing is I felt perfectly fine. Just annoyed that after having completed a 12 hour night shift I had to stay awake for another 2 hours to re check that my blood sugar was going up. I now test myself at work mid-shift, just incase
Low BG.jpg

Reactions: Prem51

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't know what went wrong 6 weeks ago but my BG for one test only fell through the floor at 1.9 mmol/l. Phoned NHS Direct for their advice which was excellent. This was the one and only time this has happened. The strange thing is I felt perfectly fine.

Did you consider it may have been a rogue reading? Did you do a re-test after washing your hands again?

TTTE

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Did you consider it may have been a rogue reading? Did you do a re-test after washing your hands again?

Yes very much so, I have a second meter and that read the same. NHS direct said the same as you about a rouge reading ect, but had something sweet, stayed awake for another 2 hours and my BG reading was back at a very respectable 7 something.

Spoke to my doctor about it and he couldn't give an exact answer for the reading, but did say that this does happen occasionally and not to read too much into it

BarbaraDavies

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Finished dinner at 8pm last night, had to rush out to babysit this morning, so skipped breakfast. Just sipping some iced water and feel fine, so I'm quite impressed with myself! Will have some lunch at 1 but that's still quite a good 17 hour start!

TTTE

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Finished dinner at 8pm last night, had to rush out to babysit this morning, so skipped breakfast. Just sipping some iced water and feel fine, so I'm quite impressed with myself! Will have some lunch at 1 but that's still quite a good 17 hour start!

17 hours between meals is probably a good way to start getting used to fasting. As long as you're happy and comfortable with it, keep it up.

Good luck with it

BarbaraDavies

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
17 hours between meals is probably a good way to start getting used to fasting. As long as you're happy and comfortable with it, keep it up.

Good luck with it
Thank you so much, I feel the best strategy for me is kind of sneaking up on myself with things. If I make a big declaration of what I'm going to do and how I'm going to do it, it often leads to failure because I set the bar too high and become discouraged. This way, I'm being pretty strict on the calories, watching and avoiding carbs and then maybe sneaking in a bit of intermmitant fasting; so I'll see how it goes, without piling too much pressure on.

BarbaraDavies

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Finished the day on 830 calories yesterday, so very pleased, carbs came in at 63.4, so also a good result. I'm really getting the hang of this I think, I know some people aim at much lower carbs but I'm very much at the experimental stage. I am really chuffed to see my morning FBg's in the 8's ( as opposed to 9's, 10's, 11's and even 12's!) and to have lost 7lbs in the last 9 days. Feeling encouraged.

BarbaraDavies

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Quite fascinated to discover that water only through the morning is really easy! Stopping eating by 8pm and lasting through to 1pm the next day is becoming my new pattern. Had a few hunger pangs but I figure that's a good sign that I'm losing weight! Keeping the cals to 800-1000 is a lot easier when there's a shorter time to count them in! Plus this hot weather is helping, its too hot to eat!

BarbaraDavies

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Excited to see my first FBG in the 7's! 7.7 this morning, the lowest so far. So encouraging. I'm sticking with the low cal, low carb, it's obviously working, I can't pretend I'm finding it easy but I know it's worth it. I've stayed off the scales though, I found I was getting utterly obsessed between the carbs, the cals and the weight. I know i'm loosing weight but its not worth the worry of whether the scales will make my day or ruin it! Got my next HbA1c booked for August and will weigh the day before I review the results with the doc. Fingers firmly crossed that i'm heading in the right direction.

BarbaraDavies

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
HbA1c tomorrow!!!! After 6 weeks of low cal lowish carb I am down a stone, my FBG is now in the 7's or low 8's every day, my after meal numbers are rarely over 2mmol more than prior to food and I'm very hopeful that my 63 of April will be down into the 50's! Wish me luck!

Reactions: Debandez and Prem51

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
HbA1c tomorrow!!!! After 6 weeks of low cal lowish carb I am down a stone, my FBG is now in the 7's or low 8's every day, my after meal numbers are rarely over 2mmol more than prior to food and I'm very hopeful that my 63 of April will be down into the 50's! Wish me luck!

You have done so well. Taking the bull by the horns and giving it a good old shake. Knocking it out by the sounds of things. Well done. Hope you got great results:)

Terrytiddy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fantastic achievement @Barbara great numbers and well done.:singing::smug::happy: So are we aiming for less than 48 on next test? :)

BarbaraDavies

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fantastic achievement @Barbara great numbers and well done.:singing::smug::happy: So are we aiming for less than 48 on next test? :)
Thanks Terry, I'm thrilled tbh. I'm just going to keep going, it's working and I'm so relieved to have got such an improvement in such a short time. I self monitor but won't have another HbA1c for a year, so will just be delighted to see my daily numbers drop and hope very much to be under the magic 48 in a years time!