Early Days But Progress!

BarbaraDavies

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Only started serious dieting a week ago, going low carb and fairly low cal. When my Hba1c stood at 63 in April I was seeing FBG's in the 10', 11s and even 12's. This morning, OMG, 8.2!!!!! So chuffed. I know have a long way to go, but I'm thrilled with this improvement.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Only started serious dieting a week ago, going low carb and fairly low cal. When my Hba1c stood at 63 in April I was seeing FBG's in the 10', 11s and even 12's. This morning, OMG, 8.2!!!!! So chuffed. I know have a long way to go, but I'm thrilled with this improvement.
Excellent news.. keep up the great work.

Reactions: BarbaraDavies

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
And to give you an indication of what can happen, many years down the line, I very rarely have blood tests. That is to avoid a difficult discussion between me and my doc about Cholesterol, and I KNOW my HbA1c will be fine! So, today, got the results from the first blood test since 2012 and my HbA1c is 29! 29! Also TC down (now 7.8) HDL up (2.26) Ratio down (3.5) - so other than the simple question, “You still don’t want Statins?” “No thank you Doctor”, job done! Keep on keeping on, it’s important!

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@BarbaraDavies Yes, totally, well done for taking the first step and achieving these results already! I was just trying to be motivating for the long term! Well done you!

Reactions: Prem51

Frenchie1730

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have been trying hard to stick to a low carb diet since New Year’s Day as my sugar was metering at around 23. For the first few months this slowly decreased then levelled out, so I had to start insulin. As I got more used to low carb I found it easier to keep to it. This week my sugar has been around 7, I have a little more to do but have finally adjusted to low carb life, which I have to admit I have found extremely difficult.

BarbaraDavies

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been trying hard to stick to a low carb diet since New Year’s Day as my sugar was metering at around 23. For the first few months this slowly decreased then levelled out, so I had to start insulin. As I got more used to low carb I found it easier to keep to it. This week my sugar has been around 7, I have a little more to do but have finally adjusted to low carb life, which I have to admit I have found extremely difficult.
Wow Frenchie, sounds like you have made some serious impact on your numbers. Are you hoping to get off the insulin or are you happy to have the lower numbers and need to stick with it?

BarbaraDavies

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fantastic numbers @BarbaraDavies keep up the great work.:) Are you going full LCHF or just low carb? :)
Thanks Terry, I am going low carb, but low calorie too as my key aim is to lose weight asap! I struggle a little on the low carb side as I'm not a great meat eater! I'm having more fish though, bit of cheese and steering clear of bread, potatoes, biscuits( my weakness!). So far so good. Sticking to around a 1000 calories, I'm hoping to do a few days a bit lower still as I get used to it.

Reactions: Prem51

Terrytiddy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks Terry, I am going low carb, but low calorie too as my key aim is to lose weight asap! I struggle a little on the low carb side as I'm not a great meat eater! I'm having more fish though, bit of cheese and steering clear of bread, potatoes, biscuits( my weakness!). So far so good. Sticking to around a 1000 calories, I'm hoping to do a few days a bit lower still as I get used to it.
For weight loss have you tried fasting Barbara? I'm on 18/6 fasting so no food after 20.00 till 14.00 next day. I only have black tea, coffee, and water on fast. I'm also down to 5% or less carbs per day (started at 20%). I find fasting easy as I don't have much of an appetite in the mornings. In last 2 months I have lost 2 1/2 stone and dropped my Bg from 16.6 to an average 4.5 in 7 days. I know fasting is not for everyone but you could give it a try and maybe start on 12 hrs, say 20.00 till 08.00 you are in bed most of the fast so does help. Good luck with your journey, you are in the right place for help, advice and support. :)

Reactions: Flankermum

BarbaraDavies

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I haven't tried fasting yet Terry, but may well do in the future. I can see a lot of people find it really effective. You've done brilliantly on it, definitely one to try.

Terrytiddy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I haven't tried fasting yet Terry, but may well do in the future. I can see a lot of people find it really effective. You've done brilliantly on it, definitely one to try.
If you want to give fasting a try Barbara you could start off with 12 hour fasts, Say start at 20.00 till 08.00 (you will be in bed most of the time). Give it a try it and see how it goes. :)

TTTE

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes (but I may learn to love it)
Well done Barbara
Dieting and exercise are the way forward. My weight at diagnosis (January 2108) was 128KG. My super skinny (probably Anorexic) doctor looked at me and tutted saying, "You could do with loosing a few pounds/kilos/tons" As much as I hate to admit it he was right. My wife cleaned out WH Smith of every diabetic cook book they had and threw herself into my dieting regime 100%. Weighted in this morning at 109KG. Ordinarily I would be well chuffed with that however my weight has remained static for a month. As hard as I try it won't budge. However I will keep trying as I am now down from a 42" waist to a 38" waist, it can only get better.

I have seen my wife secretly weighting herself in the bathroom and I can tell by the cheshire cat grin when she comes out that she is also loosing weight so she's happy as well

A friend of mine at work needed to loose weight for his upcoming wedding and he recommends incidental fasting. Give food a day off, don't eat on a Monday and Thursday (for instance) and equally don't pig out the day after!

Good luck, hope you achieve your target weight