Early March 2019 - Group Fasting Support

Minal17040

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm doing a short fast at the moment. Sunday night to Tuesday lunchtime-is. I'll aim for 42 hours.
Coffee with cream this morning followed by tea during the day. Pink Himalayan salt helps.

Reactions: jpscloud

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
@Caeseji - Just wanted to comment that there's no compunction to fast. If you want to have a go, then fast within your own limits. What other people do is for them to decide.

Having to "feel better about it" concerns me a bit.

I appreciate you looking out for me there but it's a good idea for me to get on track with my body now and I find it easy. Support like this really means the world to me and it's mainly dealing with the stress of getting my family to understand that I am not killing myself doing this that means I don't feel like it sometimes!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I appreciate you looking out for me there but it's a good idea for me to get on track with my body now and I find it easy. Support like this really means the world to me and it's mainly dealing with the stress of getting my family to understand that I am not killing myself doing this that means I don't feel like it sometimes!

I totally agree about getting this thing in a good place now, rather than later, so no arguments there. One comment I would make about family is that that was, in some ways, my biggest challenge.

I was diagnosed asymptomatically, having had some routine bloods done, after a Well Woman thing. Bingo! It was a bolt from the blue. Having immediately bought myself a meter (my father had been a steroid induced T2, so I knew the importance of testing), I could see my numbers backed up that pesky, pesky lab result, but my OH kept saking if there could h ave been some sort of mistake - me being so hale and hearty and all that.

My big breakthrough with him was sharing my blood test results - both the lab one (at the simplest level; sort of 48 = diabates. I scored 73, so pretty emphatic), and then my finger prick testing. I showed him the ranges from this website (https://www.google.com/url?q=https:...:b5hp6lp7xao&usg=AOvVaw0a4IgHsD6EOaBinmZXKx6Q) , then showed him a little of my my historic readings, with the higher numbers, then of course, they came down into the better ranges.

Honestly, once he had that data, it was like a complete "Eureka!" moment. He got it, and bought into the whole thing from then. Bearing in mind, he is the major (and much better) cook in our house, that made a massive difference to the quality of both our lives. The low level tension went down, and we both relaxed into way of living that was just a bit different to before.

Of course, for a while, I'd test and he'd ask what the number was, but I took that as interest and concern, not interference.

Maybe you could work on data sharing with your Mum, or whoever is the most vocal or demonstrative of your family?

Sorry to deflect the thread, @Chook . I'll get myself onto that naughty step, although maybe not an hour for each year of my life. I'd be joining you guys on the fast!

Reactions: Chook

Merrylizard1314

@Contralto It just seems easier to avoid discussion or fibs. I have noticed, for whatever reason, that there is a general consensus to encourage those who say they are on any diet, strict or not, to eat more stuff than they are comfortable with, and that is why I choose to be quiet, not relishing attention.

Today I was a bit late with my stats, after an overnight trip.
BGL 4.3 Ketones 2.6 BP 129/74 p52 my scales need new batteries, so I have not weighed myself for some days. There are still about 7real kg to lose.

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
@DCUKMod Thank you for sharing that, it really means a lot right there! My Grandmother whom has been the most vocal about me cutting out so much food and going keto has been getting slowly supportive ESPECIALLY after my numbers last week were down to non-diabetic/pre-diabetic levels so she is coming round. She is looking to try it herself as she isn't as sharp as she has been lately and really wants to get rid of a persistent cough that no amount of meds have cleared. Amazingly she coughs a lot less when on a high protein/high fat meal so I do believe she is helping out there now. I'm sure that Chook will be able to forgive you for giving support to a young T2 ;) In other news seems my bloods are down to around the 5.3-5.6 range now thanks to last week so obviously something is working. Going to be hitting the gym soon so some more robust fasting schedules may be in order.

Reactions: Fit725 and jpscloud

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
@DCUKMod Thank you for sharing that, it really means a lot right there! My Grandmother whom has been the most vocal about me cutting out so much food and going keto has been getting slowly supportive ESPECIALLY after my numbers last week were down to non-diabetic/pre-diabetic levels so she is coming round. She is looking to try it herself as she isn't as sharp as she has been lately and really wants to get rid of a persistent cough that no amount of meds have cleared. Amazingly she coughs a lot less when on a high protein/high fat meal so I do believe she is helping out there now. I'm sure that Chook will be able to forgive you for giving support to a young T2 ;) In other news seems my bloods are down to around the 5.3-5.6 range now thanks to last week so obviously something is working. Going to be hitting the gym soon so some more robust fasting schedules may be in order.

No forgiveness necessary. @DCUKMod is always thinking of our best interests. :)

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Weird one, I'm fasting today and had a mug of Twinings liquorice tea which I've only ever had before on a non-fasting day. The packet says it doesn't contain carbs or calories. The tea tasted a bit sweet which the blurb on the packet says is natural to the liquorice root but my BGs have reacted to it taking me up from a nice steady 5.1 to 7.6!!!!! I'm currently chugging lots of plain water to dilute it and/or speed it through. I never thought to test after my herbal or fruit teas before, I just assumed the packets would be correct.

Reactions: Merrylizard1314

Merrylizard1314

@ Chook your experience with the teas is exactly why I stick to water only, or Earl Grey, which does not affect my numbers when fasting. I used to like Orange and cinnamon, or Blood Orange,but not when fasting. Have you tried the Jason Fung recommended Green Teas?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
my OH kept saking if there could h ave been some sort of mistake - me being so hale and hearty and all that.

My big breakthrough with him was sharing my blood test results

I had a very similar experience.
Had to show Mr B a reading of 15mmol/l on my meter, then testing him at 6, after we ate the same cornish cream tea.
At that point, the penny actually dropped for him.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I had a very similar experience.
Had to show Mr B a reading of 15mmol/l on my meter, then testing him at 6, after we ate the same cornish cream tea.
At that point, the penny actually dropped for him.

Yes, I had exactly the same experience with Mr C. Seems to be a common theme especially when we look healthy. Then, after a few years, i went through it again in away; I was on insulin and one of my dogs ate my meter, he just couldn't understand the urgency of me needing another one.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@ Chook your experience with the teas is exactly why I stick to water only, or Earl Grey, which does not affect my numbers when fasting. I used to like Orange and cinnamon, or Blood Orange,but not when fasting. Have you tried the Jason Fung recommended Green Teas?

I'm back down to 6.1, thank goodness.

Green tea gives me headaches - and it doesn't matter if its blended with fruit. Strangely my husband is exactly the same.

I seen to be okay with other fruit teas - just having a strawberry and mango one at the moment but i will be checking my BG (just in case).

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I found herbal teas were affecting me so now have ginger and lemon (real) but I think the lemon needs to be kept to a minimum for me.

Reactions: Chook

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@jpscloud

Strange about the teas, isn't it? I am so careful to check the packaging for carbs or calories (or even protein).

I've decided that longer fasts aren't for me (i can't cope with feeling so cold and the random spells of giddiness) but i do like the BG results I get from fasting which seems to last 2-3 days. So I've decided that, going forward, i will do two 24 hour fasts each week on Mondays and Thursdays.

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@jpscloud

Strange about the teas, isn't it? I am so careful to check the packaging for carbs or calories (or even protein).

I've decided that longer fasts aren't for me (i can't cope with feeling so cold and the random spells of giddiness) but i do like the BG results I get from fasting which seems to last 2-3 days. So I've decided that, going forward, i will do two 24 hour fasts each week on Mondays and Thursdays.
I think the "natural" sweetness of their "leaves and roots" must contain carbs, in the case of the herbal tea I was drinking.

I have been OMAD this week but dithering about whether or not to do a 3 day fast once per week. I'm thinking that because I do lapse sometimes, OMAD may not be sufficient to improve my insulin sensitivity.

OMAD seems to mess with my head more than straight fasting, for some reason.

I'm also keen to keep mixing things up so that I don't get into lapsing habits. I might still try a 5 day fast soon.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I'm fasting to improve my insulin sensitivity as well and I also struggle with OMAD, too. I seem to feel hungrier with regular OMAD than when I'm just water fasting.

TBH I have the same problem when having cream in coffee when on a fast - it's almost like consuming anything with calories or carbs switches on that 'I'M HUNGRY NOW' switch in my brain which doesn't turn off until I eat. If I don't have anything with calories or carbs then the switch isn't turned on and I didn't get unbearably hungry until the fifth night and day.

Having said that.... I haven't tried a bulletproof coffee fast (butter and/or coconut oil but no cream) but somehow it doesn't appeal to me.

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ah, I'm ok with cream and it does help with hunger pangs. But the psychology of planning an OMAD meal is what does me in! I seem to need an all or nothing approach.

Minal17040

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm struggling to fast this week.
I'm hungry in the evening and in the end yesterday had some cheese and crackers (seed crackers - low carb).
Not sure if I'm not taking enough salt or just because it's wet, windy, cold and grey.

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
quick update on my lent "fast" around 800 cals per day, weight loss off 4.5kgs (around 10lbs in old money) 5cm (2") off my waist and 2.5cm (1") off my hips, best of all FBG was 4.9mmol, and this is after I've stopped taking my Glicladzide

Last edited:

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
Ah, I'm ok with cream and it does help with hunger pangs. But the psychology of planning an OMAD meal is what does me in! I seem to need an all or nothing approach.

I'm the opposite omad works well for me.
Up with the birds. Bulletproof coffee. Another at around 1 then evening meal. No breakfast, no pack up, no carbs.
Don't get anything more than odd hunger pangs now either.
Done a couple of 48's and midweek they are OK too.