Eat carbs after protein & vegetables?

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The research reported in this article seems to suggest that eating carbohydrates AFTER protein and vegetables is advantageous because it slows digestion of the carbs, so leading to lower post prandial blood glucose levels. I am wondering if this is a real advantage, given that the carbs have to be digested eventually. I have read that diabetics used to be advised to eat pasta because it takes hours to digest, but that nowadays we realise this doesn't really help and pasta is on the black list along with other starchy foods.
http://www.diabetesincontrol.com/carbohydrate-timing-affects-glucose-and-insulin-excursions/

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The research reported in this article seems to suggest that eating carbohydrates AFTER protein and vegetables is advantageous because it slows digestion of the carbs, so leading to lower post prandial blood glucose levels. I am wondering if this is a real advantage, given that the carbs have to be digested eventually. I have read that diabetics used to be advised to eat pasta because it takes hours to digest, but that nowadays we realise this doesn't really help and pasta is on the black list along with other starchy foods.
http://www.diabetesincontrol.com/carbohydrate-timing-affects-glucose-and-insulin-excursions/

There is a Japanese documentary floating about on here somewhere posted by @kokhongw which says exactly the same thing. I must admit I thought it was actually a little funny in suggesting that people would control their blood sugar better by eating this highly desirable food - plain white rice as the veritable culmination of their feast ! I somehow doubt many of us - or them would choose such a desert!
Ultimately eating foods is really all about the insulin responses you need to deal with it. IF in practice eating carbs after other things means you have less insulin response to eating them then sure it makes sense to eat them last. It certainly makes sense to only eat them mixed with other foods . In practice most of it is simply cheap filler put on the plate to make it look big anyway and as such just better avoided !

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think it is a workable technique (and funnily enough i have just made a post suggesting it on another thread).

BUT i would only ever use it on special occasions, as a way to enjoy the party/event and blend in.
For instance, my MaInLaw would be traumatised if i said no to a slice of her Special Cheesecake at her Boxing Day party. By eating it after a proper fillup on Real Food, LC style I can have a bit and not get the sharp spike and drop i would experience if I ate it alone.

However, i would never consider using the method tp squeeze in a sweet pud every night.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do people really want to eat carbs after a great fat and protein meal?
I just had a huge steak with butter and avocado..do I now want chips? hell no...

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think it is a workable technique (and funnily enough i have just made a post suggesting it on another thread).

BUT i would only ever use it on special occasions, as a way to enjoy the party/event and blend in.
For instance, my MaInLaw would be traumatised if i said no to a slice of her Special Cheesecake at her Boxing Day party. By eating it after a proper fillup on Real Food, LC style I can have a bit and not get the sharp spike and drop i would experience if I ate it alone.

However, i would never consider using the method tp squeeze in a sweet pud every night.

That makes total sense ! unlike the rice /potato at the end combo :)

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How much vegetables and protein would I need to have eaten to allow for an apple pie and custard? Just asking out of academic interest of course!

BrianTheElder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snide people
As I see it, eating carbs raises insulin, the effect of which is to stop burning fat and store it instead. So if you have just had a nice high fat meal there is plenty of fat available to store away around your body. I believe in general that mixing carbs and fats is not a great idea.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I just had a huge steak with butter and avocado..do I now want chips? hell no...

I don't even feel like a desert! ;)
If there is regarding the dish (in my personal diet choice) below the "moderate" amount of carbs or not...

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How much vegetables and protein would I need to have eaten to allow for an apple pie and custard? Just asking out of academic interest of course!

If you check out my diet thread ( listed below) because I am only eating one meal a day, I have found that I can eat 40-50 g carbs in one sitting and when coupled with the other stuff it has practically zero effect - whereas a third of a carrot eaten on its own causes a big increase for hours afterwards it seems !
I've been out for a few mega meals in the last year, including a small desert. - its my propensity to do that which has led me to try this routine so I can figure out just how feasible it will be to continue a lifestyle with great restaurants included.

You might find that if you really do fancy an apple pie and custard, if you don't eat that day, include it in one proper full evening meal, you might find you are surprised by how reasonable the response is. I've been pleasantly surprised a couple of times . One of those was an Eton Mess !

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Trial and error combined with rigorous testing is your only answer ;)

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I won't be having any apple pie and custard at a restaurant - have you tried lately how sweet they make that sort of thing! If I made an apple pie at home it would be sharp and with cream. Cheese and no biscuits is my eating out dessert.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
A couple brown butter roasted pecans is my after meal treat. No need for pie. Just a piece of apple out of it would be more than enough.

I do find eating even veggie carbs after most of my protein and fat keeps things lower and slower.

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I won't be having any apple pie and custard at a restaurant - have you tried lately how sweet they make that sort of thing! If I made an apple pie at home it would be sharp and with cream. Cheese and no biscuits is my eating out dessert.

I am finding more and more stuff other people supply simply too sweet these days. The usage of sugar in stuff is bit insidious. I was astonished to find the mouth rinse at the dentist was way to sweet for me. it turns out that of course it not got sugar in it, but it does have some kind of " sweetener" added to make it palatable to Joe Public. when even the dentists are doing that what hope is there ?

Reactions: Dr Snoddy

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A couple brown butter roasted pecans is my after meal treat. No need for pie. Just a piece of apple out of it would be more than enough.

I do find eating even veggie carbs after most of my protein and fat keeps things lower and slower.
If you don't mind me asking, how many calories in total do you eat in a day? I have seen several of your posts where you mention what I would regard as a taster rather than a portion. I also often have nuts after a meal but a big handful not 2!

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
If you don't mind me asking, how many calories in total do you eat in a day? I have seen several of your posts where you mention what I would regard as a taster rather than a portion. I also often have nuts after a meal but a big handful not 2!
Approx 1200. I eat small meals and snacks to keep my stomach happy but I eat them often. They're also high fat.
Bf turkey mayo mustard wrap. Lunch divided into two is protein and half an avocado. Melted Cheese snack with butter, pecans and green onion. Dinner is protein with mayo or olive oil, avo and some veg with oil. Nuts in between. About an ounce a day. I can't help it if my stomach sucks. It's almost harder to manage than bs. Not my choice. Other than my blip of weight loss being undiagnosed as type 1 I have maintained my weight and BMI for many years. I'm thin but not skinny. Legs are muscular , arms thin ( don't like it) but all weight I add goes to the already largest part of my body, stomach and love handles. Not good. I'm just trying to manage and balance a lot of things. Doing the best I can ....

They are in fact tasters but often. I'd rather just eat but stomach doesn't handle it. Two handfuls of nuts would have me bloated and in pain. So I eat them throughout the day rather than at one time.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Approx 1200. I eat small meals and snacks to keep my stomach happy but I eat them often. They're also high fat.
Bf turkey mayo mustard wrap. Lunch divided into two is protein and half an avocado. Melted Cheese snack with butter, pecans and green onion. Dinner is protein with mayo or olive oil, avo and some veg with oil. Nuts in between. About an ounce a day. I can't help it if my stomach sucks. It's almost harder to manage than bs. Not my choice. Other than my blip of weight loss being undiagnosed as type 1 I have maintained my weight and BMI for many years. I'm thin but not skinny. Legs are muscular , arms thin ( don't like it) but all weight I add goes to the already largest part of my body, stomach and love handles. Not good. I'm just trying to manage and balance a lot of things. Doing the best I can ....

They are in fact tasters but often. I'd rather just eat but stomach doesn't handle it. Two handfuls of nuts would have me bloated and in pain. So I eat them throughout the day rather than at one time.
Thanks for the reply, I see the bigger picture now.

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

You do have the knack of button-holing it by saying very little! :happy:

Reactions: bulkbiker