Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
On BBC Four now, just stumbled on it and talks of the Paleo Diet (actually says that the prog is on three 'extreme' diets).
No doubt it will pop up on iPlayer once it finishes airing.

N.B
Started at 9 on Thursday evening.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rachox

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for posting, sounds interesting.

Reactions: Guzzler

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Found it a bit of a curates egg to be honest.
The calorie restriction vegans got a bit of an easy ride.. possibly because they looked so ill (why does the wife wear sunglasses indoors?) If they were mid to late 60's then its not a great advert.
Giles mocked the paleo guys then after a week said it felt great ..... but all that fat!
The fruitarians were of course nearly all "California" 20 somethings who hadn't been on it long enough for their teeth to rot...
I was most frightened by the mixed messages from the UK GP who seemed clued up on some things. Fasting being good for example but had me shouting at the screen when going on abut "bad" cholesterol and TOFI's dropping dead from heart attacks...
So it turned out part comedy, part investigative, part mocking and guess what ended up with "moderation in all things". Oh dear another hour wasted..

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
The calorie restriction vegans got a bit of an easy ride.. possibly because they looked so ill (why does the wife wear sunglasses indoors?) If they were mid to late 60's then its not a great advert.
Giles mocked the paleo guys then after a week said it felt great ..... but all that fat!
The fruitarians were of course nearly all "California" 20 somethings who hadn't been on it long enough for their teeth to rot...
I was most frightened by the mixed messages from the UK GP who seemed clued up on some things. Fasting being good for example but had me shouting at the screen when going on abut "bad" cholesterol and TOFI's dropping dead from heart attacks...
So it turned out part comedy, part investigative, part mocking and guess what ended up with "moderation in all things". Oh dear another hour wasted..
I still havn't viewed it. To be honest I am weary of the BBCs continual fear of conducting investigative dietary programmes for fear of upsetting the apple cart (aka litigation). I will watch it over the weekend and give an opinion afterwards.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If I watch this am I gong to smash my telly up?
You might like the raw paleo guy who slaughters a lamb in his back garden then eats the blood and organs while still warm..
The interview with Mark Sissons wasn't very deep.. and apart from that yes especially at the UK based GP who was touted as being in Harley Street but exhibited nicely 20th century thinking..

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
On a slightly different note, I arrived home late last night after being stuck on a LNER train from Durham that was delayed

HID was watching that stupid program, "Eat well for Less" featuring the two stupid green grocers and whichever random "nutritionalist" they can get hold of.

The nutritionalist was asking dumb and dumber to guess which Yoghurt had more saturated fat than 10 hamburgers............it turned out to be the Coyo Natural Coconut Milk yoghurt that was the offender.

Idiot 1 and Idiot 2 were amazed that it was so unhealthy and a potential killer :banghead:

I quickly grabbed the remote and changed channel............

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If certain diets can enable us to "live forever" why are we not seeing people who have lived for these long life spans?

The calorie restriction vegans got a bit of an easy ride.. possibly because they looked so ill,,, .
I used to have a vegan workmate/friend whose appearance would never have been a good advertisement for the benefits of such a diet - he always looked pasty and ill with a bit of a drippy nose, but he wasn't actually all that unfit... mainly just not as healthy looking as the rest of us! o_O

I have sworn off wasting what time remains of my life watching or reading about miracle diets and supplements...

Robbity

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't be bothered with any of these diet programmes. I found one that suits me fine 5 years ago and am sticking to it.

mojo37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Totally agree with u and I glad someone else thought it strange she was wearing sunglasses all the time lol .

Reactions: bulkbiker

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Totally agree with u and I glad someone else thought it strange she was wearing sunglasses all the time lol .
she may have sensory issues with lights, or light induced migraines. My son has to wear sun glasses a lot, even in the house.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
she may have sensory issues with lights, or light induced migraines. My son has to wear sun glasses a lot, even in the house.
Well maybe.. but when you are allegedly "eating for longevity" and "the best way" shouldn't problems like that clear up?
They also both looked incredibly unwell and he had a pot belly.

M

Member496333

Well maybe.. but when you are allegedly "eating for longevity" and "the best way" shouldn't problems like that clear up?
They also both looked incredibly unwell and he had a pot belly.

I’ve only watched the first twenty minutes so far, but I have to say the two of them look dangerously malnourished. Not that I’m judging peoples appearances, but these guys are not thriving, healthy individuals. To be honest neither of them would look out of place on the set of The Walking Dead.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Very entertaining but not exactly rigorous. I was a bit irritated by the input of the GP who played the 'voice of reason' yet is not an expert on nutrition seemingly . Whenever a journalist goes to the US to check out 'freaky' diets it just seems to translate into keep calm and carry on eating ALL things in moderation advice that gets some people into trouble because they can't moderate themselves. Giles imagines living a great life and falling off his perch at age 93 having drunk some beers and eaten some burgers in his time but this is probably a delusion if your lifestyle and genetics have diabetes, cancer, heart disease lined up for you.