1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2018 »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Eating everything in sight while hypo

Discussion in 'Children & Teens' started by thomasrichmond_16, May 16, 2018.

1. thomasrichmond_16

thomasrichmond_16 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I can’t help myself from eating everything in sight when I have a hypo

2. Diakat

Diakat Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Yes that can happen.
    Are you having many hypos? It's probably better to treat early so if you feel one coming on or see on a Libre/cgm that you are dipping to top up with a few carbs to avoid the full on kitchen raid if possible.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi @thomasrichmond_16 ,

This can happen.. It's documented with other T1s . (to coin a phrase "going locust.")

For me it tends to be at night (if i go low.) & i pay for it in the morning.... (Like a hangover.)
    Should i go low during the day? I'm more measured.

Are you on MDI or a pumper..?

4. EllieM

EllieM Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Things I find to help:
    Make sure your emergency carbohydrate is really boring and not something you'd choose to binge on if you were allowed. Also make sure it's something easily measured, that you only need a few of. I like glucotabs because they're 4g each so I only need 2 or 3 and I don't particularly like the taste. Fruit pastilles, however, the whole packet would be gone before I worked out how many I actually needed.
    And bars of chocolate type treats are lethal, they're gone in a moment. :)

Honestly, I often think hypos are the worst part of being a T1. They are just horrid.

5. phdiabetic

phdiabetic Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I hate hypos too! Sometimes I test more often than the recommended 15min because seeing my numbers stabilise/go up helps me realise I will be ok, and not try to have more sugar. For very low numbers (like <3.6) or fast drops, I test every 5min until I'm feeling ok about it. I use my intuition a lot though, sometimes I feel like I simply must have a second juice box and so I do it, usually when I get these feelings I am right! (my blood sugar only raises a little bit).

6. NicoleC1971

NicoleC1971 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Agree with the 'have something boring' advice! Hypos feel like a war between my labrador brain See food. Eat It) and my rational brain (Keep Calm Don't Panic - you will feel better soon) then there's the rebellious teenager brain (at age 47) that refuses to neck some lucsoade if I don't want to in the middle of the night or encourages me to go mad and eat 2 fondant fancies to cure my hypo!

7. therower

therower Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Occasionally I still " eat the kitchen " when I'm having a hypo. As hard as I try, a little voice just keeps suggesting that I eat more.:):). Inevitably this in years gone by has led to some incredibly high numbers, which in turn need addressing.
    Nowadays, not to often thankfully, whatever I devour I try to leave a reminder of what I've eaten. Banana skin, cheese and butter in worktop ( annoys wife:)) chocolate wrappers, milk and biscuit barrel on the side basically anything that enables me to get a rough idea of how many carbs I've overdosed on and then take sufficient insulin to counteract my hypo scoffing.

8. novorapidboi26

novorapidboi26 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

This usually happens to me after I have had alcohol.....well, these types of hypos....and not every time.....

the taste and flavour of everything is heightened by a 1000 times, its so enjoyable...

I've seen myself overdo it and then dose up for the extra then back to bed.....ha ha.....

day to day hypos are ok though, just drink half a bottle of orange isotonic [500ml] and that does the trick usually....

9. Little_Lucy

Little_Lucy Type 1 · Well-Known Member

This happens to me a lot I usually just try and distract myself such as going on my phone x

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook