Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Yes that can happen.
Are you having many hypos? It's probably better to treat early so if you feel one coming on or see on a Libre/cgm that you are dipping to top up with a few carbs to avoid the full on kitchen raid if possible.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @thomasrichmond_16 ,

This can happen.. It's documented with other T1s . (to coin a phrase "going locust.")

For me it tends to be at night (if i go low.) & i pay for it in the morning.... (Like a hangover.)
Should i go low during the day? I'm more measured.

Are you on MDI or a pumper..?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Things I find to help:
Make sure your emergency carbohydrate is really boring and not something you'd choose to binge on if you were allowed. Also make sure it's something easily measured, that you only need a few of. I like glucotabs because they're 4g each so I only need 2 or 3 and I don't particularly like the taste. Fruit pastilles, however, the whole packet would be gone before I worked out how many I actually needed.
And bars of chocolate type treats are lethal, they're gone in a moment. :)

Honestly, I often think hypos are the worst part of being a T1. They are just horrid.

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I hate hypos too! Sometimes I test more often than the recommended 15min because seeing my numbers stabilise/go up helps me realise I will be ok, and not try to have more sugar. For very low numbers (like <3.6) or fast drops, I test every 5min until I'm feeling ok about it. I use my intuition a lot though, sometimes I feel like I simply must have a second juice box and so I do it, usually when I get these feelings I am right! (my blood sugar only raises a little bit).

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Agree with the 'have something boring' advice! Hypos feel like a war between my labrador brain See food. Eat It) and my rational brain (Keep Calm Don't Panic - you will feel better soon) then there's the rebellious teenager brain (at age 47) that refuses to neck some lucsoade if I don't want to in the middle of the night or encourages me to go mad and eat 2 fondant fancies to cure my hypo!

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Occasionally I still " eat the kitchen " when I'm having a hypo. As hard as I try, a little voice just keeps suggesting that I eat more.:):). Inevitably this in years gone by has led to some incredibly high numbers, which in turn need addressing.
Nowadays, not to often thankfully, whatever I devour I try to leave a reminder of what I've eaten. Banana skin, cheese and butter in worktop ( annoys wife:)) chocolate wrappers, milk and biscuit barrel on the side basically anything that enables me to get a rough idea of how many carbs I've overdosed on and then take sufficient insulin to counteract my hypo scoffing.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
This usually happens to me after I have had alcohol.....well, these types of hypos....and not every time.....

the taste and flavour of everything is heightened by a 1000 times, its so enjoyable...

I've seen myself overdo it and then dose up for the extra then back to bed.....ha ha.....

day to day hypos are ok though, just drink half a bottle of orange isotonic [500ml] and that does the trick usually....

Little_Lucy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
This happens to me a lot I usually just try and distract myself such as going on my phone x