cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Side effects from medication
10.8 fasting
Just waiting til it gets to a 5. Then I can eat.
Then when it gets to 5 eat again.
And so on and so on.
And hope it doesn't take days to get to that 5!!!
I will try to post results.
Med is semaglutide.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I will be interested in your experience.
It may be different with Type 1 and type 2 but I find my liver will continue to dump glucose when I am fasting until I eat something to convince it that I am not starving. I only have to eat a small amount but without that my BG can rise.
So I am interested that, with type 2, your BG will drop after fasting.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
I'm a TOFI Type2 and fortunately my fasting BG has never been over 8.5 since I started measuring it. It would always steady or reduce after a next to zero carb meal (the convince the liver that I'm not starving effect). My longest fast during that time were for a colonoscopies and once my BG was measured at the hospital just before the procedure. By then I had fasted for nearly 3 days and my BG had dropped to 4.6

They only did that BG test that single time although I've had several colonoscopies since my T2 diagnosis, I think they did it because it was my first as a Type 2 (although I was already in 'unofficial' remission by then) so I was no longer concerned about my BG in a fasting situation - more concerned not to have usual biscuit and cup of milky tea after the procedure..

Reactions: cdpm

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
It's between noon and 1230.
Getting closer anyway.

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi there @cdpm!

I remember first reading about a letting one's BG reading guide you to when it's good to eat, for the benefit of good health. And remember thinking - what a great idea in theory! (Just taking a pause to go look at my material on this method of BG regulating...)

OK, from my notes, what I read on it - Data Driven Fasting (DDF) by Marty Kendall.

His area of expertise is type 1 diabetes, if memory serves. His website is pretty fantastic, imho.

For myself - as terrific as this form of hunger training/fasting goes for achieving great BG - I couldn't do it, sadly, as then I would never eat! And by that pathway would come my too early (for me!) - death. After a long period of lying around un-fuelled. My usual longwinded way of saying - I never have healthy 5.0-5.5 BG readings for a healthy blood glucose situation any longer. Too damaged, I guess.

I haven't no-food fasted for quite a while, but I understand the pull of it to lower too high BG. But it would take me days I believe, past experience here, to get to a lovely healthy 5.0.

Does your doc know you are fasting on a medicaton cdpm? Are you being medically monitored? I hope so! And forgive me if that was a given.

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
630pm was 6.7
8pm 6.5
Not looking good.
It's not looking like it's going to get to that 5.
I'm very hungry!!

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi there @cdpm!

I remember first reading about a letting one's BG reading guide you to when it's good to eat, for the benefit of good health. And remember thinking - what a great idea in theory! (Just taking a pause to go look at my material on this method of BG regulating...)

OK, from my notes, what I read on it - Data Driven Fasting (DDF) by Marty Kendall.

His area of expertise is type 1 diabetes, if memory serves. His website is pretty fantastic, imho.

For myself - as terrific as this form of hunger training/fasting goes for achieving great BG - I couldn't do it, sadly, as then I would never eat! And by that pathway would come my too early (for me!) - death. After a long period of lying around un-fuelled. My usual longwinded way of saying - I never have healthy 5.0-5.5 BG readings for a healthy blood glucose situation any longer. Too damaged, I guess.

I haven't no-food fasted for quite a while, but I understand the pull of it to lower too high BG. But it would take me days I believe, past experience here, to get to a lovely healthy 5.0.

Does your doc know you are fasting on a medicaton cdpm? Are you being medically monitored? I hope so! And forgive me if that was a given.
No. This is the only place that knows. I don't have an appt. until may.

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I had to give in and eat. It wasn't going to get to a 5.
I only wanted something to help control my numbers. Meds don't help. I've tried many. Food choices don't help as I haven't any choices.
I just needed something that would help. I don't want to lose my feet.
Of all the options I know of I'm left with just 1 now. That I haven't tried. If I try it I will post it. If not and in the meantime I guess I go back to what I was doing before. Ignoring it all.

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
I remember someone on the forum doing something similar to this years ago.
They used their meter as a sort of fuel guage but rather than picking a number and not eating until they reached that number. They used their 7 day average on the glucose meter, they would only eat if their blood sugar level was below that average.
Can't remember how they got on with it but it seems a better idea than picking a number you may not reach.

• Useful
Reactions: AloeSvea and cdpm

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not sure what to do.
Nothing helps it so I pretty much have to just sit and wait for the complications.

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
But it did go down a bit fasting just not to a number as low as I wanted. Maybe choosing a 6 would be better. Not sure yet what I'm doing but something has to be done.

mouseee

That sounds sensible. I seem to remember someone ages ago in here saying that they only ate when under 6.
My bg is generally lower than yours I think and I'd take hours and hours to get a 5! I know you feel very hungry so perhaps a 6 and a hungry feeling combined might help you?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
I realise I'm T1 and not T2 but I'd argue that diabetic complications aren't inevitable even if your numbers aren't perfect. I just do the best I can, which isn't non diabetic numbers but isn't too awful, and so far so good. (And I have had numbers that I'd consider awful in the past.)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I will be interested in your experience.
It may be different with Type 1 and type 2 but I find my liver will continue to dump glucose when I am fasting until I eat something to convince it that I am not starving. I only have to eat a small amount but without that my BG can rise.
So I am interested that, with type 2, your BG will drop after fasting.
The way I see it when I correct a liver dump as a T1.
The BG levels need the insulin to utilise the excess sugar in the blood & “feed” the body but I’m not hungry my self, first thing in the morning.

That liver dump for me technically is my “breakfast.”

By brunch or lunch. It’s a different ball game for me. In the BG zone & bolusing for hungry.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
No. This is the only place that knows. I don't have an appt. until may.

cdpm - my own experience with fasting and type 2 is - I was very closely monitored by medical professionals in the first six months to two years post diagnosis when I was experimenting with what I was eating, and, particularly when not eating - ie fasting regimens. I think that is the right way to go, and what I personally would always advise!

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I remember someone on the forum doing something similar to this years ago.
They used their meter as a sort of fuel guage but rather than picking a number and not eating until they reached that number. They used their 7 day average on the glucose meter, they would only eat if their blood sugar level was below that average.
Can't remember how they got on with it but it seems a better idea than picking a number you may not reach.

What a great idea! And always good to hyper-personalise any of these dramatic nutrtional regimens, imho.

• Agree
Reactions: cdpm and catinahat

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Not sure what to do.
Nothing helps it so I pretty much have to just sit and wait for the complications.

My mother, also a type 2, does not manage her diabetes at all well. She regularly has levels well above 10 or 11. And I mean regularly. She has suffered no complications whatsoever and she is now in her mid 80s and has been diagnosed more than 20 years. So complications are not guaranteed. While I don't recommend that you take that approach I would like to just just agree with @EllieM just do the best you can with the hand you've been dealt with.

Take care.

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
So it seems that it's just luck of the draw. Try or don't try. You get complications or you dont. Whether you try or don't try.
One of my aunts died of diabetes type 2.
I wasn't close to this aunt so idk what complications got her but cause of death was listed as type 2 diabetes. To my knowledge she didn't try.
But the dying friend has been doing everything recommended.
But is still dying from a serious life threatening complication from type 2 diabetes.
So either way it doesn't matter.

• Hug
Reactions: catinahat