Eating out at cafe/coffee shop/garden centres

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don’t have a problem with eating a low carb snack that I have bought with me, in a café or whatever, that has no suitable foods for me to eat (yes I’m looking at you Costa!). I would be quite happy to explain this if I was accosted by staff trying to stop me eating food I had not purchased from them. I do buy a coffee so I am giving them some custom.

StandingCat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I'm looking for some advice/opinions re eating out.
I've been in denial regards my diabetes for a number of years now but after recent hba1c result of 111 I've realised that it's time to take it seriously. I'm low carbing and BG levels are around 7 to 8 most days. In the past I get it down and under control then forget about it for a while. But now I want an eating regime that I can stick to for life but I still want to enjoy life and treats.
I usually go out for a coffee and cake a few times a week. I'm now accepting that my coffee is a treat and that I don't need the cake. But I find I'm struggling with what to order if I'm hungry and needing lunch. Most of these places tend to offer toasties, paninis, baguettes, baked potatoes and all carb loaded food. Even soup comes with a roll. I'm not into paying for salads when out as it's usually mostly lettuce. I know about testing 2 hours after eating and I'm currently ordering something different each time and testing to see which has least impact on my sugar levels.
But I was just wondering what everyone else does and what your 'go to' lunch is when eating out at cafes/coffee shops/garden centres?
I would go for the baked potato with roasted/med veg and side salad. I'm Type 1 but this works well for me.

Reactions: In Response

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don’t have a problem with eating a low carb snack that I have bought with me, in a café or whatever, that has no suitable foods for me to eat (yes I’m looking at you Costa!). I would be quite happy to explain this if I was accosted by staff trying to stop me eating food I had not purchased from them. I do buy a coffee so I am giving them some custom.
I don't DO Coffee shops ..
but I do admire your style... :cool:

Reactions: Rachox and filly

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I would go for the baked potato with roasted/med veg and side salad. I'm Type 1 but this works well for me.
Hi @StandingCat , welcome to the forum.
While a baked potato may go well when you can dose for it, the OP is a T2 on a low carb diet, and cannot dose for it.

At the top of each thread you can see what sub forum it's in, very helpful when starting to get the hang of navigating this forum. :)
While T1's may post on treads in the T2 forum and vice versa, it's extra important to make sure your post is on topic when cross posting.

Enjoy the forum!

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for all the replies and advice. It seems that the majority of us prefer not to eat when out. I was hoping for ideas of what's a reasonable choice from these typical menus......you could say the best of a bad bunch. I agree with the poster who won't buy a salad when out as it's from a packet and covered in dressing. I also agree with the comment about others not eating if I don't eat. I totally understand this as I would not order food if no one else at the table was eating and I don't want to make others feel uncomfortable.
I guess I was thinking along the lines of if I was good the majority of the week and only go out for a coffee twice a week then what's the best food option to choose that will not impact BG levels too much and/or have a quicker return to normal levels......if that makes sense? Maybe just need trial and error........

• Informative
Reactions: jjraak

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It seems that the majority of us prefer not to eat when out. I was hoping for ideas of what's a reasonable choice from these typical menus....
I think it's not that the majority prefers not to eat when out, it's just that we prefer not to when out in places where they serve only bready, carby stuff.
When I'm somewhere where they serve bacon and eggs, a cheese platter, kebab, fish or burgers, I'm happy to eat when out and about!
Most places are happy to leave out the bread or fries if that's part of the dish, or even swap them for something else. :)

filly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Spicy food which is too hot. Nasty people who have no idea on your life journey but feel the need to comment and be cruel.
Thank you for all the replies and advice. It seems that the majority of us prefer not to eat when out. I was hoping for ideas of what's a reasonable choice from these typical menus......you could say the best of a bad bunch. I agree with the poster who won't buy a salad when out as it's from a packet and covered in dressing. I also agree with the comment about others not eating if I don't eat. I totally understand this as I would not order food if no one else at the table was eating and I don't want to make others feel uncomfortable.
I guess I was thinking along the lines of if I was good the majority of the week and only go out for a coffee twice a week then what's the best food option to choose that will not impact BG levels too much and/or have a quicker return to normal levels......if that makes sense? Maybe just need trial and error........
But what about you being made to feel uncomfortable? After all for you it is medical and very important. I know how difficult it can be. I hope your friends understand when you tell them.

• Friendly
Reactions: Antje77 and jjraak

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@chocoholicnomore

I think you've answered your own question... :D

I think we all want that old life style .

And I do understand the craving for a more 'normal' way of eating.

but I think looking back, I would have just been prolonging the entry phase to being more satisfied with LCHF.

So you have to balance up risk v reward.

Eat, test ...it's the only way to know.

However i doubt anything is going to be on the good side, though ..sadly.

Reactions: filly

mazza 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If I'm going to a cafe or garden centre with friends and family I take a low carb biscuit or cake which I bake. I don't see why I should stop doing something I enjoy. I don't eat a meal as they are too high carb but I enjoy a biscuit or cake with my tea or coffee. One day I'm hoping they will start having low carb cafes' which would be good for diabetics and also for anyone trying to lose a little weight. It's important that you keep going to the places that you enjoy, you just have to prepare a bit more. Anyway, take care x

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
One day I'm hoping they will start having low carb cafes' which would be good for diabetics and also for anyone trying to lose a little weight.
There is a very nice one in Frinton, worth the trip if it's not too far!
It's called Keto Bite UK. :)

• Informative
Reactions: filly and jjraak

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It’s not that I prefer not to but I won’t eat the carb laden stuff either. Like rachox I’m happy to take a low carb snack and eat that.

If pushed it’s usually the breakfasts I aim for with swaps, explaining I can’t eat certain items. Usually they are happy to swap bread, hash browns, beans items for eggs/mushrooms/tomatoes . Sometimes they are a bit funny about swapping those for meat but I do try and swap meat for meat ie sausages for bacon as most bulk purchased sausages are full of carby fillers. Omelettes are another option sometimes. Even salads these days are often full of “healthy” grains so another reason to avoid them. Ham/gammon eggs and chips if I can swap the chips for salad or veg.

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If I'm going to a cafe or garden centre with friends and family I take a low carb biscuit or cake which I bake. I don't see why I should stop doing something I enjoy. I don't eat a meal as they are too high carb but I enjoy a biscuit or cake with my tea or coffee. One day I'm hoping they will start having low carb cafes' which would be good for diabetics and also for anyone trying to lose a little weight. It's important that you keep going to the places that you enjoy, you just have to prepare a bit more. Anyway, take care x
Yes that's exactly what I mean! I enjoy going out for coffees and lunches. I know I have to change the way I eat but I still want to enjoy life and eating out is a big part of my enjoyment. I didn't realise just how much pleasure I get from food and eating out. The thought of never being able to eat out again just depresses me. I know in the grand scheme of things though that my BG levels are much more important. But it is still hard to adjust......

• Hug

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Trouble is on a lot of menus, and the National Trust is a big one, there is no best of a bad bunch. It is all bad for us.
I don't feel bad taking my own or abstaining as they are not therefore getting any profit from me. When they start to learn and add items I can have, I will gladly buy.
And I go back time and time again to those that do provide well for me.
As we grow in numbers they will have to start changing.
Trouble is carbs are cheap and help their bottom line, and a lot of people still think they need to avoid nuts and fats such as dairy.

Sometimes starters offer better choices, and I'll go for 2 instead of a main. Or the cheese pate from the desert menu. Some places offer hard boiled eggs.

And yes keep testing. I find I can cope with a few chips but anything with flour sends me right up.

andromache

I have no trouble with the 'coffee and cake' thing because it just means not having the cake. But lunch in garden centres and similar tends to be harder because, unless they do an all-day breakfast, there is often simply nothing to eat that isn't pure stodge. At best, there's a dishwater and slime soup with a couple of sad peas suspended in it. I wish I had an answer to your question, but I don't.

• Funny
Reactions: HSSS and filly

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think this isn’t limited to coffee shops. Most pubs around our way can only offer me steak or a burger and the other thing that really bugs me the only veg as a side is more often than not a pile of rocket. Just lazy! when we were in Padstow last June I cheekily asked if the fish could be fried with bare minimum of batter and was met with a firm no that wasn’t how they did it! Btw that Rick Steins t/a fish n chips.

filly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Spicy food which is too hot. Nasty people who have no idea on your life journey but feel the need to comment and be cruel.
I think this isn’t limited to coffee shops. Most pubs around our way can only offer me steak or a burger and the other thing that really bugs me the only veg as a side is more often than not a pile of rocket. Just lazy! when we were in Padstow last June I cheekily asked if the fish could be fried with bare minimum of batter and was met with a firm no that wasn’t how they did it! Btw that Rick Steins t/a fish n chips.
One to avoid!

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have never been a fan of the batter around fish but find it a great way to cook/steam fish.
I just don't eat the batter and get a lovely cod fillet.

Reactions: lovinglife

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If I get battered fish I never ask for it lightly battered, the thinner the batter the more it sticks to the fish and the fish will be drier and probably overcooked , the batter protects the fish from drying out when deep fried. I prefer it normal battered then it’s much easier to peel off. It may take a will of iron though not to eat said batter lol

ajbod

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I simply refuse to eat anything that is no good for ME.
It's not the best of a bad bunch, it's the least, worse of a very bad bunch.
I don't IF as a norm, but tend to not eat if not hungry in the morning,
In 2021 i had a Femoral artery Bypass done, and 4 days in hospital. where i only ate 2 meals in the whole time, as nothing on the menu was at all suitable for a type 2 diabetic. just a supposed Ham salad, and a cheese omellete.
Every finger prick throughout the stay was 5.1 or 5.2.

• Winner
Reactions: Outlier and filly

Clase

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Reality TV
I really sympathise. Since cutting carbs, I always carry dark chocolate. I'm lucky to have a Hotel Chocolate factory shop near me so keep a constant supply of 70% cocoa solids and above at home. I buy a variety and always make sure I have some. I really enjoy it so not really any hardship not having cake. I'm nearly 30 years into Type 2 so used to it by now but there are always difficult spells. If we're having lunch out, with my husband it's easier as I can choose the place by the menu, grazing plates with mushrooms, sausages, cheese but other than that it's soup and I refuse the roll. Good luck.